Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International health insurance v Irish health insurance

• 28-07-2015 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

I have decided to move to Benalmadena, South Spain for seven+ months from October, come back here for three or four months of summer and then return to Spain again next autumn.

I have health insurance with VHI. I am thinking of changing over to International insurance.

Does anyone know will this cover me if I go back to an Irish policy or will I be penalised because of the new laws, having a gap in my Irish health cover?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's not too clear if you had cover here and then leave and then return, you should call one of the providers and get an opinion. There can be a 13 week break in cover without any penalty. I am unsure if the 2% loading per year would equate to 1% if you pay for 6 months cover, not a great deal of info from HSE...

http://health.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/FAQ.pdf
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_insurance/private_health_insurance.html

The Spanish public health system is great, you should get a EHIC card which will allow you access to the public health system as if you are a Spanish citizen, takes about 10 days to receive it from the HSE here, worth having even if you have private cover, apply here...

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/EHIC/apply/Apply_for_EHIC.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I have decided to move to Benalmadena, South Spain for seven+ months from October, come back here for three or four months of summer and then return to Spain again next autumn.

I have health insurance with VHI. I am thinking of changing over to International insurance.

Does anyone know will this cover me if I go back to an Irish policy or will I be penalised because of the new laws, having a gap in my Irish health cover?

If you break your cover for more than 13 weeks then you will have to re-serve waiting periods and will have the LCR loadings applied. (You do receive credits for previous periods of Irish insurance though, so you may not actually have a loading)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

LostArt wrote: »
    If you break your cover for more than 13 weeks then you will have to re-serve waiting periods and will have the LCR loadings applied. (You do receive credits for previous periods of Irish insurance though, so you may not actually have a loading)

I probably would have loading because I had no insurance unitl I was 40 which is now 12 years later so I am thinking I might be penalised for six years from 34 to 40?

I have the European health card but I am hearing from people living in South of Spain there has been problems with using these cards of late.

Advertisement