Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

email set up

• 28-07-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

I want to access my eircom.net email on my iphone. I set it up and it receives but i can't send emails. My home broadband is with eircom, my mobile phone is on the vodafone network. Outgoing server is set to mail.vodafone.ie on my phone and port 25.
    What am i doing wrong here?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I want to access my eircom.net email on my iphone. I set it up and it receives but i can't send emails. My home broadband is with eircom, my mobile phone is on the vodafone network. Outgoing server is set to mail.vodafone.ie on my phone and port 25.
    What am i doing wrong here?:confused:

Are you using wifi? The outgoing server has to be Eircom if you are, I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

brophs wrote: »
    Are you using wifi? The outgoing server has to be Eircom if you are, I think?

I tried that as well and it fails to verify settings. It then tries to set it up using SSL, which also fails. Is there a different email app i could use that wouldn't be as complicated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I tried that as well and it fails to verify settings. It then tries to set it up using SSL, which also fails. Is there a different email app i could use that wouldn't be as complicated?

It's not the app. Ditch the eircom address if possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was going around in circles with an @eircom.net address a family friend was using on her phone and tablet. My thread might steer you closer to an answer, or confuse your further, hopefully not.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92915128

See also the talk to Eircom forum if you need to ask them.

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

shanec1928 wrote: »

Agree with this set up a Gmail address and you can set that up to capture all incoming mail to your old eircom address. Easy to install on iOS device and does not use POP settings.

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    I need to hold onto the eircom.net address unfortunately.

tried to set it up on gmail. No joy.
    Authentication failed. Please check your username/password.
    [Server response: Unspecified Error (SENT_SECOND_EHLO): Smtp server does not advertise AUTH capability code(0) ]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

On the iPhone for the eircom account turn off the primary server under SMTP and put all the gateways in under Other SMTP servers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You should be able to get this sorted somehow, I think. The person I was fixed it for still sends and receives from her @eircom.net mail (Outlook 2013) even though her account is underpinned by a Gmail address, which I set up. She's none the wiser I did this as she's not techie, nor does anyone who contacts her knows that Gmail is doing the heavy lifting. This works when she takes her tablet abroad. Previously, her French IP would conflict with the outgoing server and it wouldn't play ball with the emails. This is similar to when she took her tablet or phone or my mother's house, which is based on Vodafone broadband. The phone and tablet were set up to pull in and send mail on the basis of being in an Eircom household.

Unfortunately due to time I wasn't able to sort out her phone. When she got the phone first the shop made a bit of a pig's of her email settings, tbh.

I don't know if you can get your phone sorted without setting up a Gmail to run underneath (if you'd prefer not to), but I think with some tinkering you'll get there.

jamesd wrote: »
    On the iPhone for the eircom account turn off the primary server under SMTP and put all the gateways in under Other SMTP servers.
    OK I'll give that a shot. It isn't my phone and the owner has gone for the night so I'll try that in the morning. Cheers!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

OK I'll give that a shot. It isn't my phone and the owner has gone for the night so I'll try that in the morning. Cheers!:D

I have email Mail on my phone and it works with those settings, send and receive with my eircom account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I need to hold onto the eircom.net address unfortunately.

You can still hold on to it if you set up Gmail to catch the eircom mails.

Advertisement