Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your favourite subject in school?

• 28-07-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭

Mine was history. I liked hearing about events that transformed the world albeit not always with good consequences. So what was yours and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Quite liked maths and physics....but I am excruciating boring though

History sounds interesting btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

English. I loved, and still love, reading novels, plays, and poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Loved history. Great craic.
    Religion was fun also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Hometime.

It took all sorts of mad skillz and knowledge to get the fcuk out the door as soon as I possibly could. I have a very rounded and broad education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Maths, English, Business Studies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The stuff I was good at!

Art
    History
    Geography

(I should add they also had the teachers who seemed to be able to get it across, whatever it was)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Loved maths despite it being my worst subject, hated English despite it being my best subject. I still don't understand what it all means exactly but I assume it's indicative of some sort of personality complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Loved history.I used even read the text book at home.And no, i wasnt a swot.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

I loved metalwork too for bending things in the vices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Irish, English, Latin, History.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Biology!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Loved maths. My teacher was mad but the best one I ever had. Used to throw whiteboard markers at the people talking in the back hehe.
    History was cool too European history moreso: Bismarck, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin and all that croud are great when your at that age when you hate everything
    Biology too :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Maths, physics and applied maths. I loved art history too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Business and Geography, enjoyed learning about cultures/countries/regions more than rocks and rivers tough.
    Also like C.S.P.E and L.C.V.P.

Peregrine wrote: »
    Maths, physics and applied maths. I loved art history too.

I would have loved the chance to study art history. It wasn't a subject choice

where I went to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's a bit deja vu this thread :D

Yeah, physics and maths anyway, followed by business organisation and accountancy (I wanted to do economics too for the LC but it was in the same block as bus. org.)

I loved languages, but Irish was taught badly, it wasn't the teacher's fault, I was a natural gaeilgeoir anyway so I had it much easier than a lot of the class. I was good at other languages too and have a couple under my belt since. English actually, loved the plays, poetry and prose, devoured Shakespeare, and all the classics.

I loved history too but like I said in the other thread, difficulty with remembering dates, but reading about all the different periods, civilisations, societies and cultures was fascinating.

I loved metalwork too for bending things in the vices.

There's always one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Aineoil wrote: »
    I would have loved the chance to study art history. It wasn't a subject choice

where I went to school.

It was a part of Leaving Cert Art. Worth around 40%. I was no good at the rest but I loved art history :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I really liked maths. Got on well with the teacher. Was good at it the whole way through school but only really started to like it after 5th year when I got that teacher. Geography was good as well. The class was basically all lads and we had good craic with the teacher and each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Maths, hated it. Just scraped by in Ordinary Level. Woodwork was a doss, teacher was a lunatic as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

English and History. Always looked forward to those classes. I love reading and researching:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Classical Studies.

Had no interest in any of the other subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

History and PE! Surprised nobody mentioned PE yet, it was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I enjoyed geography. Not learning place or river names, but more about nature and it's awesome power to mould the planet!

I enjoyed history but as I grew older I grew more cynical about the validity of the information. The victors write history and over time whatever bits of truth is recorded gets diluted. Its still a fascinating topic.

Loved maths despite it being my worst subject, hated English despite it being my best subject. I still don't understand what it all means exactly but I assume it's indicative of some sort of personality complex.

I was exactly the same. I didn't really like maths until I was in Leaving Cert, I think the fact that I found it much more challenging than my other subjects was part of the attraction. Sadly, I then made the mistake of doing a degree in maths; I started to like it a lot less then. :( As for English, it was mostly a terrible Junior Cert teacher that made me resent it. My Leaving Cert English teacher was great but I still didn't enjoy having to write pages of analysis of texts and poetry; I much prefer just reading something for the sake of enjoying it.

My other favourite subject was Geography. I suspect I would have really liked Economics but sadly my school didn't teach it at Leaving Cert due to lack of demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I absolutely LOVED Biology, still so passionate about it.

Also really enjoyed English and Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 OiL RiG

Definitely chemistry.

It wasn't the subject I found easiest or most useful. Rather, I had a fantastic teacher who made each class genuinely interesting and could relate the material to the real world and its practical applications. I loved carrying out the experiments in the lab and really developed a passion for the subject through understanding rather than learning off set definitions and reams of notes.

Funny how much difference a good teacher can make. One who teaches the subject rather than the exam and can really instill a class with enthusiasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Maths and Technical Drawing (TD ended up being an eighth subject as the school I was attending didn't have a schedule which allowed for French, Biology and Technical Drawing).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Maths. I had an extraordinary teacher though. A bit off the wall and we never once got homework of any kind. Something mad like half the class got A's in honours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Religion was good because the teacher had no control over us,had a great seat in history were I could swing on the chair and look out the window all day.Metalwork and woodwork was good craic to because our class was a crowd of messers.

It's a bit deja vu this thread :D

Yeah, physics and maths anyway, followed by business organisation and accountancy (I wanted to do economics too for the LC but it was in the same block as bus. org.)

I loved languages, but Irish was taught badly, it wasn't the teacher's fault, I was a natural gaeilgeoir anyway so I had it much easier than a lot of the class. I was good at other languages too and have a couple under my belt since. English actually, loved the plays, poetry and prose, devoured Shakespeare, and all the classics.

I loved history too but like I said in the other thread, difficulty with remembering dates, but reading about all the different periods, civilisations, societies and cultures was fascinating.

One Eyed Jack, that's a lovely post. I like to think this thread is a mature reflection about the subjects we studied.:D

When I did my leaving there was a course that combined physics and chemistry. I liked the physics part but my brain wasn't wired to comprehend the chemistry component.

I found languages easy too - not sure it was because of my ability, we had excellent language teachers. I couldn't read enough English literature. My sister is 18 months younger than me and I read all her English course work as well as my own. You can't beat the classics.

We had a native speaker who taught us Irish. Her passion made me appreciate the language and then grow to love it. But I can understand why some people hate the subject.

History was a joy to study. It was like reading an excellent novel.

I loved Latin because our teacher was very passionate about her subject. She wasn't a harsh teacher but she had very, very high standards. We all got A's in the Leaving and it was down to her.

And then there was maths.....one language I never understood and I really tried so hard to get my brain around maths, I did higher level in 5th year before copping on that I had no clue and did ordinary level in 6th year. I still was clueless.

Sorry for such a long post .... just memories really.

Just a nosy, curious question what languages did you learn since the LC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Maths. Always loved it. I get extremely pissed of a the effort the media seem to go to to terrify students about the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Maths and any science subject (I did physics, chemistry and applied maths) because I was a massive nerd and found them really interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I liked history in primary school when it was all about Irish legends. I was disappointed when I started secondary school and they started teaching us about things that had actually happened.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Justice4Adolf

I was quite fond of lunch break.
    But I especially looked forward to going home time everyday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

History. Not particularly interested in historical events but having an excellent and enthusiastic teacher elevated the subject for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

English.

Regret dropping history for the LC - loved it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Aineoil wrote: »
    One Eyed Jack, that's a lovely post. I like to think this thread is a mature reflection about the subjects we studied.:D

When I did my leaving there was a course that combined physics and chemistry. I liked the physics part but my brain wasn't wired to comprehend the chemistry component.

I found languages easy too - not sure it was because of my ability, we had excellent language teachers. I couldn't read enough English literature. My sister is 18 months younger than me and I read all her English course work as well as my own. You can't beat the classics.

We had a native speaker who taught us Irish. Her passion made me appreciate the language and then grow to love it. But I can understand why some people hate the subject.

History was a joy to study. It was like reading an excellent novel.

I loved Latin because our teacher was very passionate about her subject. She wasn't a harsh teacher but she had very, very high standards. We all got A's in the Leaving and it was down to her.

And then there was maths.....one language I never understood and I really tried so hard to get my brain around maths, I did higher level in 5th year before copping on that I had no clue and did ordinary level in 6th year. I still was clueless.

Sorry for such a long post .... just memories really.

Just a nosy, curious question what languages did you learn since the LC?

Cheers for that Aineoil :)

I was lucky too in that my mother was a primary school teacher (retired now) and as well as speaking Irish at home we were taught Latin, and then I learned Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, did French for the LC, learned Polish in the last couple of years and I keep meaning to get around to learning German at some stage :)

My mother actually wanted me to be a teacher, still does, always dropping hints lately about the Hibernian course in the UK, but it's just not for me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

German.

I had a wonderful teacher and a deep love for the structure and tone of the language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

English
    Geography
    Woodwork (just for JC)

A's all round. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Cheers for that Aineoil :)

I was lucky too in that my mother was a primary school teacher (retired now) and as well as speaking Irish at home we were taught Latin, and then I learned Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, did French for the LC, learned Polish in the last couple of years and I keep meaning to get around to learning German at some stage :)

My mother actually wanted me to be a teacher, still does, always dropping hints lately about the Hibernian course in the UK, but it's just not for me :o

Wow, that's incredible.

History and PE! Surprised nobody mentioned PE yet, it was great

You are surprised on essentially a nerdy Forum no one mentioned PE... Really???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Religion, for the simple reason we had a great religion teacher.
    She never mentioned religion all that much and focused on human rights.
    Brought the whole class to see Cry Freedom in the Ambassador.
    She used to on about Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko all the time.
    So, for that reason Religion was a class I loved. No homework either.

Otherwise, English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

English and History.

Naturally led to art college and a failed middle aged attempt at an IT career.
    Still I'm a very well read unemployable person. Perhaps someone will destroy the internet and break the computers. Then all will be well again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

History or woodwork .loved both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

A2 in higher Maths
    A1 in higher Biology
    A1 in higher Home Ec
    B3 in higher Geography.
    C3 in ordinary Germany.
    D3 in Higher Irish
    D2 in Higher English

I was a strange student who couldn't see the point in studying languages. Bored the absolute ****e out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

efb wrote: »
    You are surprised on essentially a nerdy Forum no one mentioned PE... Really???

Yes I am, I thought it would be quite popular actually...my world is ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

History. Stuff just came easy to me, dates etc and I liked writing a lot because it didn't involve much thinking but more remembering. I also had a complete legend of a history teacher who made our life in school in general a lot better.

Geography for the same reason. Just writing facts and not much thinking. All very simple stuff. One teacher was really boring (but cool) and the other reallly annoying though

DCG because I had a decent teacher and my mates did it too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Geography. I loved it so much that I studied it at college and pursued a career in a closely related field.

• Advertisement
Advertisement