Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaddafi sentenced to death is big mistake

• 28-07-2015 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭

The Libyan authorities are going to execute the former leaders son. This is a bad move that goes totally against what the international community is against. The international community is responsible for Libya by which I mean the UN since it was with UN approval that foreign armies moved against the old regime. The media keeps on and on about a country in chaos. There is still a working gvt in the country and they are making horrible decisions that place people like Saif -Al Islam's life in jeopardy. Sovereign countries have their own laws and can decide to execute prisoners but international agencies like humanitarian networks and democratic gvts can and should cut off ties to Libya if the country executes him.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Pretend for a minute that I dont know as much about Libya as you do. What was he sentenced for? How was the trial conducted? Would the death sentence be a fair outcome if it was a fair trial?

More politically, are you advocating that the Gadaffi supporting rebels/provisional government ought to be in total control of the country, or that they should separate? What damage will the death sentence do to any prospects of a peace deal etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yemowt

Pretend for a minute that I dont know as much about Libya as you do. What was he sentenced for? How was the trial conducted? Would the death sentence be a fair outcome if it was a fair trial?

More politically, are you advocating that the Gadaffi supporting rebels/provisional government ought to be in total control of the country, or that they should separate? What damage will the death sentence do to any prospects of a peace deal etc?

What was he sentenced for? Pretty much being born to the wrong father. How was the trial conducted? It was not much of a trial, as he was Muammar Gaddafi's son, it seemed to be part of his fault for what his father did. Would the death sentence be fair? Not really, they should probably let him go but still keep a close eye on him.

In my opinion, I know it is kind of a horrible opinion but the country would be better if Gaddafi was still in power. They would not have problems with terrorist groups such as ISIS and they would not have went into a second civil war. I understand he was a terrible man but keeping him in power would have saved thousands of lives at this point.

That is just my opinion, I am sure there is many that disagree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

For one they have no gvt. I believe it will not help the situation by scapegoating the son of the former leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Yemowt wrote: »

In my opinion, I know it is kind of a horrible opinion but the country would be better if Gaddafi was still in power. They would not have problems with terrorist groups such as ISIS and they would not have went into a second civil war. I understand he was a terrible man but keeping him in power would have saved thousands of lives at this point.

That is just my opinion, I am sure there is many that disagree with me.

Alternatively, the uprising and subsequent civil war could have dragged on for years and the place could be in a much worse state than it is now (e.g. Syria)

When a dictator is removed, a void is created - what fills that void determines the future of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yemowt

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Alternatively, the uprising and subsequent civil war could have dragged on for years and the place could be in a much worse state than it is now (e.g. Syria)

When a dictator is removed, a void is created - what fills that void determines the future of the country

Good point.

• Advertisement

Syria is only in a worse place because of geography, next to Iraq and Palestine and responding to chest beating from aggressor nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Much worse ?.

Much worse ?.

Libya is no picnic, and the instability is growing, but currently Syria is far, far worse with full blown civil war, hundreds of thousands of deaths and millions of refugees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

Yemowt wrote: »

After witnessing the last 4 years I have to agree with you. Who'd have thought that Libya would be completely abandoned by the West. But then again, maybe it was naive of us to think otherwise.

The West and international community did what they could, the first elections went fairly well. They would have been blamed for interference if they took a stronger role, blamed for abandonment otherwise, it's a catch-22. The country has always been split down tribal lines, and of course the Islamists were in there like a shot. The only hope is that the country can partition somewhat peacefully and IS (who already have a toehold) don't gain more traction.

Don't agree with them executing Said, as that family went he was actually relatively popular, but yeah he did help drain the country of tens of billions, imprisonment would have been a less savage option

• Advertisement

The West and international community did what they could, the first elections went fairly well. They would have been blamed for interference if they took a stronger role, blamed for abandonment otherwise, it's a catch-22. The country has always been split down tribal lines, and of course the Islamists were in there like a shot. The only hope is that the country can partition somewhat peacefully and IS (who already have a toehold) don't gain more traction.

Don't agree with them executing Said, as that family went he was actually relatively popular, but yeah he did help drain the country of tens of billions, imprisonment would have been a less savage option

Libya is in a state of civil war and the smugglers are profiting. Would like to present a better picture but alas that is not the case. It is even more worrying for Europe because ISIS or the Mediterranean pirates could use Tripoli as a staging post to target Barcelona, Nice, Marseilles, Genoa, Rome & Nicosia. That whole area is full of arms right next to high density European cities. Repercussions are already being felt so the Libyan situation is dire.

We have seen Africans from across Sub Sahara fleeing from disease and war and using Libya to get into Europe not the Muslim lands neighbouring Israel. The media has reported on this crisis. It is only by solving the problem in Libya that you will stop the exodus of migrants into Europe. Executing Said will not unify the Libyan authorities. I put it to you that it will further destabilise what is already a fragile state by making it devolve into a failed state. That would be in nobody's interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

After witnessing the last 4 years I have to agree with you. Who'd have thought that Libya would be completely abandoned by the West. But then again, maybe it was naive of us to think otherwise.

Hilary Clinton's infamous "We came, we saw, we killed him." was chilling and disturbing, providing a real insight behind the mask of western leaders BS. Meanwhile the Libyan people remain abandoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Democracy isn't the right model for all parts of the world. It was wrong to intervene in Libya at any point imo. Up to them to sort out their own sovereign boundaries. The only action by the West should be targeted against ISIS (if such action can be targeted).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    The Libyan authorities are going to execute the former leaders son. This is a bad move that goes totally against what the international community is against.
    Yeah, because they're pretty much nailing it on all the other decisions they're making in Libya at the moment.

Advertisement