Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carrig Mill - Greystones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 commuter33

they are air to heat pumps. not geothermal

• Registered Users Posts: 40 beaconballs

Communication is awful alright. I am also a phase II house and have been told early to mid-October but honestly I don't believe anything that I'm told at this stage. The fact that there was no show-house or brochure with spec was frustrating enough :-(

We haven't snagged either and I'd would love to hear if someone else from phase II gets the call to snag please?

Finally has anyone got any clarity from Bernie or Linda about the solar panels? Thanks

Hey there. Well as it happens, as I often do, I called into the site on the way home from work. I managed to speak to one of the builders as he was locking the gate. I basically asked him how long he thinks they'll take before completion etc. He said they're all ready for snagging! I sh*t you not! He said all that's left is the electrician to connect up the solar panels. He said he'd mention to Richie (builder and owner) to tell the agent to contact people and let them know. He had no idea that Linda or Bernie hadn't been in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 philster1980

We're in one of the first properties in phase 2 and was out on site last week. It was pretty much complete (for what we could see internally), except for the installation of the heat pump external unit, kitchen appliances and the cleaning of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JL1982

Communication on these properties is truly abysmal. It's very frustrating. In first phase and have no clue when we are moving in! Apparently snag list has been completed, this was told to me in passing when I called on another issue!

Hi JL1982,

When did you do your snag list and have you been back to inspect it? Also have you connected up the electricity, as I ordered my meter yesterday. Further to that, my heat-pump is going in next week and the kitchen appliances soon also. Communication has been good this week for me if I'm honest but possible because a few people had been onto O’Gorman’s looking for an update asap.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JL1982

Snag list done a month ago, have not been back to inspect yet, will be doing that early next week.

Electricity has been connected for a while, we have the heat pump and all appliances. I think the hold up is a cert of compliance but not 100% sure!

JL1982 wrote: »
    Snag list done a month ago, have not been back to inspect yet, will be doing that early next week.

Electricity has been connected for a while, we have the heat pump and all appliances. I think the hold up is a cert of compliance but not 100% sure!

Can I ask you, did you snag yourself as there's a few of us looking for someone for someone really good. Also have you been told why the delay and have you been given a close date at all yet? Phase II have now been told early to mid-October latest

Eircom told me that there have been several people request a line for their phone and broadband.

Q. Does anyone know what speed we can get and if it is fibre yet?

Also uncertain about broadband... UPC, Sky or Eircom?!! Maybe that's a can of worms for another day.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Mousemini

No official date given yet go move in.....still awaiting in that confirmation, was hoping to get a date today but that's a negative

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Highstool

I think phase one is finished. Should have move in dates next week. 1-14. Snags are all complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

We are thinking of putting down a deposit on one of the phase 3 houses ... But the attitude of the selling agent is very off putting. It's giving us cause to pause and re-think.

They don't seem to even try to sell. In fact we were at the site today and the person who we've been dealing with all along acted like we were intruding. There is no show house, no brochures, a very poor website, they can't supply prices, they don't have dimensions (even approx) ... Very amateurish. I wonder if the developer knows?

We're also a bit worried about the structure of the company doing the development ... There is very little information about the people behind it.
    Has anyone managed to find out anything useful about the history and reputation of the developers?

I would recommend the auctioneer....I just think a lot of stuff is out of their control . Ie builder . I'm in phase one and what I can see is that the houses are well built, good looking and the houses are in a brilliant location... A lovely location in greystones 😋

Mousemini wrote: »
    I would recommend the auctioneer....I just think a lot of stuff is out of their control . Ie builder . I'm in phase one and what I can see is that the houses are well built, good looking and the houses are in a brilliant location... A lovely location in greystones 😋

A little surprised to hear an endorsement of the auctioneer ... After all they are not even getting the things within their control right ... E.g lack of decent brochures or marketing materials ... And we've not been too impressed by the attitude to date ... But you would have a lot more experience of them, so fair enough.

I'm still interested in doing a due diligence on the builder ... My apartment was bought from new in 2000 and is Cosgroves built ...it's very reassuring they survived the crash .. We needed them a few times over the years .. And they generally came through for us (albeit after a bit of coaxing) ...

Anyone else found out anything about the developers?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

lack of decent brochures or marketing materials

Not required, it is a seller's market.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Not required, it is a seller's market.

Well thanks for your expert opinion ... Most helpful ... Especially after a slow period where there is evidence of a softening market and insufficient data on the impact of the new mortgage rules...

Still doesn't explain the widely reported unhelpful attitude of the selling agent ... Or indeed the personal experiences of my wife and I when face to face with the agent. But to be fair other posters have made a more reasonable attempt at being helpful by saying the agent is probably frustrated by the builders' lack of support ...

Hence my question about the builder ...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Well thanks for your expert opinion

Not an expert opinion at all. The dogs on the street know that brochures aren't required to sell homes like these.
    Still doesn't explain the widely reported unhelpful attitude of the selling agent ... Or indeed the personal experiences of my wife and I when face to face with the agent.

You are correct, it doesn't.
    I am not attempting to defend the agent.
    But to be fair other posters have made a more reasonable attempt at being helpful by saying the agent is probably frustrated by the builders' lack of support

Yup, I did not address this for you as it was already covered by the other posters. Instead I decided to explain why I felt there was a lack of brochures.

Yup, I did not address this for you as it was already covered by the other posters. Instead I decided to explain why I felt there was a lack of brochures.

I was looking for a bit more than what I've seen so far in this thread and the other one I've seen about this development ... but perhaps it would help if I shared what I have found to date ...

Here is the link to the planning permission - Planning

Another short boards thread on this development - Boards Thread - Planning

Information on the Developer - Silver Bow Limited

It looks as if Silver Bow Limited is a SPV set up specifically for this development (and possibly a few others; I did hear that the builder has another site somewhere in Wicklow) ... I can find the directors names but not much else ... to be fair I've not looked into their individual activities yet ... has anyone else had any luck finding more information?

From what I've seen this far ... I'd not be too worried about them ...

As a director in the development where my apartment is located, I can say that it is a good idea to research the develolper ... It has proven useful having Cosgroves still around for our management company; even now, 15 years later, we still occasionally have cause to contact them. There are some horror stories out there about people in ghost developments with no a** to kick because the developer company is long gone ..

As a director in the development where my apartment is located, I can say that it is a good idea to research the develolper ...

Agree 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Well thanks for your expert opinion ... Most helpful ... Especially after a slow period where there is evidence of a softening market and insufficient data on the impact of the new mortgage rules...

Isn't Carrig Mill sold out?

• Advertisement

Not according to the selling agent ... Quite a few left in fact ... But all phase 3 ... Which is for next year

... Forgot to add ... Some of the existing deals may fall through at finance stage ...

They are good looking houses. Well built. Great location. And A2 rating. I can't think of any other A2 rating developments in the area.

I'm in the first phase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My main concern would be the continuity of support and maintenance for the heat pump / solar installation to be honest. If you're retro fitting such equipment at least you can do your research up front and ask all the right questions, not only about the technical aspects but also ongoing support, before committing, but in this case you're kind of stuck with what you're getting.

I've a friend who has this system. He swears by it. Gas just doesn't cut it to get an A2 rating. It's 4 times more efficient. They are pretty easy to maintain. So he says. He can fix mine if it fails!!!
    He lives in the UK. He got a grant for it too. No sign of it here though.

Highstool wrote: »
    I've a friend who has this system. He swears by it. Gas just doesn't cut it to get an A2 rating. It's 4 times more efficient.

Comparing the efficiency of a heat pump to the efficiency of a gas boiler provides a very confused and distorted picture.

% Efficiency = (energy out / energy in) x 100

Modern condensing gas boilers have efficiencies >90%
    Somehow I doubt that the air source heat pumps have efficiencies in excess of 360% :)

Let's not forget that there are two types of energy input to a heat pump, electrical energy (quite costly) and energy from air temperature (free).
    Whereas the gas boiler only has the energy input provided by the gas (not as expensive per unit as electricity).
    Therefore in the case of the gas boiler the customer has to pay for all of the energy input. So even if the heat pump is less efficient that the gas boiler it may cost far less to run for a given heat output.

It is important have realistic expectations, you won't see much savings if you're switching from mains gas.
    They are pretty easy to maintain. So he says. He can fix mine if it fails!!!

Assuming that the heat pump is of reasonable quality, has been correctly installed and sized.

When it comes to a comparison between air source and ground source heat pumps there is one clear winner here – ground source heat pumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

They are good looking houses. Well built. Great location. And A2 rating. I can't think of any other A2 rating developments in the area.
    Yes I had a wander around, they are quite nice looking, though surprisingly "classic" ie not much different in appearance to an 80's or 90's design.
    Surprising because an energy efficient design tends to be somewhat plain to look at. These have the recessed porches and little bits of flat roof extending out that add an aesthetic look, but are not so practical in terms of energy efficiency or ease of maintenance.

Due to changes in the building regulations since 2011, any new house is going to be a lot warmer and easier to heat than houses built before then, and is going to be A rated as a minimum, just to pass the regulations.

From the builders point of view, if he starts off with an "older" design, and it looks like it won't pass the energy efficiency part of the building regulations, he can stick on a few solar PV panels onto the roof. These may or may not be of any real benefit to the occupier, depending on whether the electricity produced on a summers day can be used in the house, or sold, or neither. But they will bring up the energy rating.

If the solar pv still is not enough to get an A rating and pass the building regulations, he may have to change the heating system to a heat pump, which is more or less guaranteed to do the trick. This is largely due to technical reasons in the building regulations (partly because a heat pump is considered renewable energy) rather than any huge benefit to the occupier.

So I think the most telling comment in this thread is probably;
    eointoomey wrote: »
    Estate agent has let me know that all houses will have a solar panels plus a heat pump system. They are both necessary for the A2 rating to be a certainty in the case of these properties, apparently.

If the houses had gas condensing boilers and no solar PV, but still managed to get an A2 rating, then I would be impressed. I'd know the insulation, windows etc and the overall design were very good. And if the ESB started paying for exported electricity at some time in the future, I could install solar PV panels then.

.stiebel-eltron
    This the heat system used.
    Nominated for sustainable product of the year in the HVR awards a few years ago.

.stiebel-eltron
    This the heat system used.
    Nominated for sustainable product of the year in the HVR awards a few years ago.

It is a pity that they installed the runner up system :D

• Advertisement

It is a pity that they installed the runner up system :D

lol

In all seriousness from what I have seen (looking from the outside) they appear to be well finished well proportioned homes in an excellent location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh I thought they were all sold

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Oh I thought they were all sold

Yeah ... I was a bit surprised by that too ... a friend of mine has one of the houses and told me the place sold out in minutes of its release to the market ... but a few weeks ago there were a few of the already built houses remaining and a lot of the new phase ... I think all the built ones are gone now though.

When it comes to the close there will be a few that fall through ... so it is possible some will come back to the market.

TBH ... despite the supply v demand situation; if homes are selling like that after the new mortgage rules then it might be time to rent again ... albeit rents are also spiralling out of control ..

Have u recieved move in date yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saibhne

Just in case anyone in Carraig mill needs them <Mod snip: company name removed> service heat pumps and solar panels..

I would expect that the warranty on the heat pumps and solar panels would be invalid if a customer were to use a different company than the one that installed these units.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saibhne

I would expect that the warranty on the heat pumps and solar panels would be invalid if a customer were to use a different company than the one that installed these units.

I doubt if this is the case, Warranties will reside ultimately with the manufacturer regardless of who installs them. Most heat pumps warranties require annual servicing to remain valid so it will be up to the homeowner to ensure that happens one year in. If they are tied to the person who installed them initially to service them then they are in a very vulnerable position with regards cost. It's worth noting that the installation of heat pumps on the current scale is unprecedented in Ireland - unlike boilers there is no wide scale tradition of servicing these units as yet as there has being no demand. Having an experienced company nearby to provide this service can only be beneficial to the occupants of Carrig mill.

saibhne wrote: »
    I doubt if this is the case, Warranties will reside ultimately with the manufacturer regardless of who installs them. Most heat pumps warranties require annual servicing to remain valid so it will be up to the homeowner to ensure that happens one year in. If they are tied to the person who installed them initially to service them then they are in a very vulnerable position with regards cost.

I think that you are missing my point.
    If as you say a heat pump requires a yearly service then when the new owner moves in the system should not require maintenance for the first year.
    In the event that it does require any "tweaking" within the this time period the installer should deal with this free of charge.
    If the owner were to go elsewhere within this timeframe it would be at their own cost.

An installer can't just put a heat pump in and wash their hands with it the next day.
    Having an experienced company nearby to provide this service can only be beneficial to the occupants of Carrig mill.

If there is an issue and two companies are involved a lot of finger pointing tends to occur. When this happens the customer always seems to be caught in the middle with a large bill :eek:

My advice would be to hold off getting another company involved, at least for the first year.

• Advertisement

On the plus side, the solar PV panels should require little or no maintenance, unlike the more common solar thermal panels people often install for hot water.

So could people please post your personal updates? Phase?/Snagged?/Rechecked?/Keys?/Anything else relevant please?

I'm curious about utilities and what everyone is going for... I was only Eircom for example and they said the houses will only get (up to!) 5Mbs "max". This can't be the case?!! Grrrr.

Also what are people doing about Sky, UPC and Greenstar?

recedite wrote: »
    On the plus side, the solar PV panels should require little or no maintenance, unlike the more common solar thermal panels people often install for hot water.

On this recedite, have you or anyone else gotten any documentation on what savings or even benefit the solar panels and heat pump will give?

Or even how they will work in Carrig Mill House's?

My final question is, does anyone know if the living room and master bedroom has been wired for Sky?

Thanks guys :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yesap

Hi beaconballs,

Would things like wiring in bedrooms, living room etc not have been included in your spec before you put money down on the house?

I know you said the communication isn't great at the moment on-site but surely you know what your meant to be getting, otherwise the builder could just not bother with certain things if that way inclined..

yesap wrote: »
    Hi beaconballs,

Would things like wiring in bedrooms, living room etc not have been included in your spec before you put money down on the house?

I know you said the communication isn't great at the moment on-site but surely you know what your meant to be getting, otherwise the builder could just not bother with certain things if that way inclined..

Hi Yesap,

Ha.. you'd think right?! There was a massive gamble here as there 1) was no show-home, 2) no brochures or 3) no spec sheets. Sure the only reason we all found out about the solar panels was by one day seeing them being installed on the roof.

The only things we do know (as purchasers) is; 1) They will be A2 rated homes, 2) There is a heat pump, 3) The plans, 4) There are solar panels and 5) There is no oil or gas.

That's very simplistic but you get the idea and my point. Saying all that, I know someone who recently snagged and was VERY happy with the level of workmanship and quality across the house. I'm super excited at this stage, but yes it's a little disappointing in parts of the entire purchasing process.

Cheers

On this recedite, have you or anyone else gotten any documentation on what savings or even benefit the solar panels and heat pump will give?
    Or even how they will work in Carrig Mill House's?
    I already gave my opinion on this. I won't be getting any documentation because I'm not buying one of these houses. They look well built, and should be cheaper to run/heat than the vast majority of other houses out there, as would be the case for any house built to the latest building regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eointoomey

"Eir" have just informed me that there is no broadband at all in the area. I'm waiting for Michael J Fox to drive by in a DeLorean

So... FINALLY things might be moving this week for Phase 1! Amazing news for those involved. Very exciting altogether! Good luck with it all guys :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

eointoomey wrote: »
    "Eir" have just informed me that there is no broadband at all in the area. I'm waiting for Michael J Fox to drive by in a DeLorean

their are fibre cabinets at Burnaby Lawns and at the roundabouts in Killincarrig, so Eircom should be able to do something for you once they've run a phone line. Might take a while if they have no lines in situ though.

loyatemu wrote: »
    their are fibre cabinets at Burnaby Lawns and at the roundabouts in Killincarrig, so Eircom should be able to do something for you once they've run a phone line. Might take a while if they have no lines in situ though.

Welcome to my world of pain with Eircom.

The best option may be Wicklow Broadband as they do not require a phone line.
    Speeds won't be great but most likely it will be the best you can get until phone lines are installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

recedite wrote: »
    I already gave my opinion on this. I won't be getting any documentation because I'm not buying one of these houses. They look well built, and should be cheaper to run/heat than the vast majority of other houses out there, as would be the case for any house built to the latest building regulations.

Spot on regarding the regs.
    Sources of renewable energy required in the "new" building regs. Plus they will be cheaper to run.

People dont get so worried about what type of oil/gas boiler a new house comes with. The quality and efficiency of one solar panel or heat pump vs another will be the same as between any 2 gas boilers. But if you buy or build a new house now you have to have some form of renewable energy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement