Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Rush

Options
  • 29-07-2015 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Rush this Friday and will be renting a property just off the skerries road. I was looking around for a phone/bb/TV deal but UPC don't cover the area and Eircom have told me that we can't get high speed internet or eVision, the best they could offer was a 5mbs uncongested connection.

I've put in a query with Vodafone to see what they can offer but they said it will be 2-3 days before they can confirm. Can anyone in the area give me a suggestion for Broadband? Who do you use, are there good package deals and what speeds do you receive?

For TV, does anyone have any recommendations? I don't think he landlord would be too happy about a Sky Dish. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Rush this Friday and will be renting a property just off the skerries road. I was looking around for a phone/bb/TV deal but UPC don't cover the area and Eircom have told me that we can't get high speed internet or eVision, the best they could offer was a 5mbs uncongested connection.

I've put in a query with Vodafone to see what they can offer but they said it will be 2-3 days before they can confirm. Can anyone in the area give me a suggestion for Broadband? Who do you use, are there good package deals and what speeds do you receive?

For TV, does anyone have any recommendations? I don't think he landlord would be too happy about a Sky Dish. Thanks in advance!

Fibre should be widely available in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It's not available where we are but we got sorted anyway! Thanks for your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rare_flower01

It's not available where we are but we got sorted anyway! Thanks for your post.

Hi we just moved to Hayestown area in Rush, can you tell me which company you set up with and is it any good? I was told there was no fibre available in Rush, is that right? There's a few companies but need to know which is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

We couldn't get Virgin when we moved into Hayestown in January so signed up with Eir, online offering up to 25mb, needed to get a phone line put in which was a disaster with no shows and engineers arriving unscheduled and I think only offered up to 5mb. Was told by the contractor doing this job we could get connected to the local exchange and get 25mb.

Basically several weeks of pulling my hair out, constant phone calls where everyone was "very sorry" but couldn't resolve the situation. Speaking to call centres in several continents and being hung up on several times. Being told different things by different staff.

Honestly the worst customer service experience of my life but we had no option as no one else was offering any sufficient speeds. We were given 6 months free in the end and have had no problems since but wouldn't do it again if we had any option.

I think Virgin are due to arrive soon. You could get a payasyougo sim and turn an old phone into a wifi hotspot as a short term solution if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hi we just moved to Hayestown area in Rush, can you tell me which company you set up with and is it any good? I was told there was no fibre available in Rush, is that right? There's a few companies but need to know which is best.

I’m in St Catherine’s, which is a bit away, but we have Vodafone and it’s grand. Never really had any issues. I’ve attached what it’s at currently.

Edit: that’s on my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 rare_flower01

We couldn't get Virgin when we moved into Hayestown in January so signed up with Eir, online offering up to 25mb, needed to get a phone line put in which was a disaster with no shows and engineers arriving unscheduled and I think only offered up to 5mb. Was told by the contractor doing this job we could get connected to the local exchange and get 25mb.

Basically several weeks of pulling my hair out, constant phone calls where everyone was "very sorry" but couldn't resolve the situation. Speaking to call centres in several continents and being hung up on several times. Being told different things by different staff.

Honestly the worst customer service experience of my life but we had no option as no one else was offering any sufficient speeds. We were given 6 months free in the end and have had no problems since but wouldn't do it again if we had any option.

I think Virgin are due to arrive soon. You could get a payasyougo sim and turn an old phone into a wifi hotspot as a short term solution if needed.

Thanks a lot, I think my partner is looking at Vodafone now. Sounds a bit hit and miss for all providers.
    Thanks a good idea with the phone, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Sorry for the delayed reply! We went with Sky, which isn’t the fastest, but it has been a decent service for us and has certainly met our needs :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Any improvement on the broadband in Rush? I was told they are running fibre into the area but has anyone actually got it installed yet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We have efibre several years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,797 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Efibre is not fibre. No idea how they get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Meh,well either way, it works fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

L1011 wrote: »
    Efibre is not fibre. No idea how they get away with it.

I thought it was FTTS, using existing copper from the cab to the home. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,797 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought it was FTTS, using existing copper from the cab to the home. No?

FTTC is the usual term for it. Regardless, its not fibre - neither is Virgin "fibrepower". No glass/plastic enters your premises, only copper.

FTTC delivers speeds of 60-70mbits for most people but vastly less if congested, Virgin give 300-350mbits quite consistently. Actual fibre to the premises is gigabit and higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

shesty wrote: »
    Meh,well either way, it works fine..

That's subjective, depends on the use case, number of people using it and what sort of speed you want. I wouldn't be happy with those speeds, but you are more than happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

FTTS was the term we used when I worked on the national fibre roll-out across Switzerland. It was a few years ago, so am not in touch with the current lingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tkrysiak

Any news on SIRO/Virgin arriving in Rush in the coming years? Put the deposit down on a house but laugh all you want - I am thinking of reconsidering...
    Not sure if I could share a 5-10MB line with two kids like we used to in Skerries up to 2-3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

tkrysiak wrote: »
    Any news on SIRO/Virgin arriving in Rush in the coming years? Put the deposit down on a house but laugh all you want - I am thinking of reconsidering...
    Not sure if I could share a 5-10MB line with two kids like we used to in Skerries up to 2-3 years ago.

I think most of the ESB poles have been surveyed by Siro at this stage, they started in March. Not sure how long after that before anything gets installed and goes live.

Fingers crossed maybe something before the end of the year..

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭OctoberMammy

Also a bit concerned about this. Virgin told me they weren't offering a service to our new estate. No update yet on Sky, who told me to keep an eye on the Siro website (which isn't even recognising new Eircode yet). Broadband is essential for my work so I'm wondering what I'm gonna do if I can't get a decent connection...

I refuse to even consider Eir, btw - heard too many horror stories.

Also a bit concerned about this. Virgin told me they weren't offering a service to our new estate. No update yet on Sky, who told me to keep an eye on the Siro website (which isn't even recognising new Eircode yet). Broadband is essential for my work so I'm wondering what I'm gonna do if I can't get a decent connection...

I refuse to even consider Eir, btw - heard too many horror stories.

Are you sure about Virgin? Considering we are talking of the same "new" estate, I was able to find the address on bonkers.ie. According to the site, Virgin is available up to 500MB.

Just like yourself, I heavily depend on broadband for work and just refuse to ever go back to Eir or Sky.

Are you sure about Virgin? Considering we are talking of the same "new" estate, I was able to find the address on bonkers.ie. According to the site, Virgin is available up to 500MB.

Just like yourself, I heavily depend on broadband for work and just refuse to ever go back to Eir or Sky.

Yeah, I saw the same on bonkers.ie but I don't know how reliable that is.

Is it Knightsgate? If so, a Virgin rep from here told me no -

"Apologies, our teams have reviewed the local network infrastructure and unfortunately we cannot provide service to your new address as our closest network link in point is too far away from the address."

This may have changed since I asked in May, but again, the website is not even recognising the Eircode or address.

Sky told me that every three months, a new batch of Eircodes is added to the Siro database and to keep checking the website, but that hasn't been updated yet either:

"Once this is done, ourselves Vodafone and Eir will all be able to offer you the Broadband service and you can then choose the best option. Use the link I have sent updates once your address becomes enabled."

It's looking like I might have to go down the mobile broadband route with Three or Vodafone.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I saw the same on bonkers.ie but I don't know how reliable that is.

Is it Knightsgate? If so, a Virgin rep from here told me no -

"Apologies, our teams have reviewed the local network infrastructure and unfortunately we cannot provide service to your new address as our closest network link in point is too far away from the address."

This may have changed since I asked in May, but again, the website is not even recognising the Eircode or address.

Sky told me that every three months, a new batch of Eircodes is added to the Siro database and to keep checking the website, but that hasn't been updated yet either:

"Once this is done, ourselves Vodafone and Eir will all be able to offer you the Broadband service and you can then choose the best option. Use the link I have sent updates once your address becomes enabled."

It's looking like I might have to go down the mobile broadband route with Three or Vodafone.

Don't count on SIRO, been at it before when I used to live in Skerries over 3 years ago - still @ "coming soon" Rush/Skerries are a big hole on the eastern coast as far as fiber goes.

As for Knightsgate, I was able to find my address on bonkers along with the Eircode and it says Virgin is available. TBH I really hope I am right as without fiber broadband options we are seriously stuck. I wouldn't count on SIRO being available in the near future.

Don't count on SIRO, been at it before when I used to live in Skerries over 3 years ago - still @ "coming soon" Rush/Skerries are a big hole on the eastern coast as far as fiber goes.

As for Knightsgate, I was able to find my address on bonkers along with the Eircode and it says Virgin is available. TBH I really hope I am right as without fiber broadband options we are seriously stuck. I wouldn't count on SIRO being available in the near future.

Me neither, but I had actually just asked the Sky rep about normal services - they were the ones who brought Siro up! I'd be happy with a fast reliable broadband service. If Virgin IS available, that would save us a major headache as we're already on Virgin now. Fingers crossed.

Me neither, but I had actually just asked the Sky rep about normal services - they were the ones who brought Siro up! I'd be happy with a fast reliable broadband service. If Virgin IS available, that would save us a major headache as we're already on Virgin now. Fingers crossed.

Please for the love of whatever is sacred to you do not go with Sky. Took me 2-3 months of begging, yelling, threatening in order to get my account closed off...

Advertisement