Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLS Couriers

Options
  • 29-07-2015 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All

I'm having a nightmare with GLS Couriers this week and would appreciate any advice you may have!

Was due a parcel mid last week that was coming via GLS. Driver had been supposed to give me a call before delivery to make sure someone was there. Low and behold, I check the online tracker Friday morning and it said it had been delivered at 9am. Rang my partner who was at home - no package. Looked at the signature on the tracker and it was a name we didn't know, no address or contact number. Partner went knocking on doors, nobody knew anything.

Rang GLS at 12pm who apologised - driver should have called, should have left a note and should have said where the package was. Was promised a call back within the hour when they rang driver.

4.30pm, still no call. Partner is due to leave Dublin at 5pm with package. Last set of neighbours knock in to say they don't have the parcel. Ring GLS who are 'surprised' I haven't been contacted and had marked my query as closed & delivered. They haven't been able to contact the driver by text or call, through his depot or manager, and have no idea where it might be, that he was a nightmare. They close at 6pm and won't be able to do anything over the weekend. I expressed that this wasn't good enough as I would be without my parcel for the weekend and was also concerned that nobody knew where it was. They apologised and promised the driver would contact me that night as they had text him my number. They would then be able to tell me where it was and they would send the driver to collect and re-deliver first thing Monday morning.

No call or re-delivery Monday morning. Rang them at 12pm - again they were 'surprised' I hadn't been contacted by the driver. They said they found him impossible to get in touch with so gave me his mobile number so I could follow up myself!! Wasn't impressed but was desperate at this stage. Rang the driver - he swore he delivered it to a house directly either side of mine, mentioned 2 separate house numbers. Told me to call into them.

Spent Monday & Tuesday trying to get in touch with our elderly neighbour next door who doesn't like to answer the door (understandably!). No parcel there it turns out.

Rang GLS this morning, who again were 'surprised' it hadn't been resolved, despite never calling me once when they said they would to check. They said they would contact driver again, and send him out to get the parcel. I asked specifically for a call before he arrived, promised they would. Half an hour later, I hear a noise on the street - he's going around knocking on every door and has some of the neighbours out on the street - specifically the two sets of neighbours I've been annoying the last few days, as he told me it was definitely one or the other. I go out to him. He then remembers that it wasn't either of those houses, but can't remember which one it was. I tell him to start knocking - he says nobody is answering and I should do it myself. He tells me to find the parcel because otherwise he will have to pay for it and that's not fair.

He's now gone and 4 days after he's dropped off the parcel, I now have 4 new houses he 'thinks' it might be in and the onus is again on me to find it. I could scream.

Does anyone have any idea what to do? Every time I ring GLS, they apologise, put me on hold and get on to the driver. The driver is just not capable of resolving this and I can't have him harassing the neighbours over and over. They keep putting it back on me to resolve and I've had enough after 4 days.

Rant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

Hiya what a pain it must be .
    why not go back to where you bought it saying it had not been delivered. Let them do the chasing The onus is not on you to chase it up.
    Did you pay by PayPal or credit card as you will have some comeback .
    Ste

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sullnoelle

Thanks! I should have said - I went back to the company who were shipping the product this morning who are opening an investigation but which will take up to a week. Raging now that I didn't do it days ago but the driver was insistant on Monday that it was at either of those two houses, so I thought it was just a matter of getting in touch with the elderly woman next door - which took two days.

It was only when she told me last night she didn't get one that I thought I'm in the **** here! Driver admitted this morning that it was in neither of those two houses but maybe in any of 4 other ones! Talk about 4 wasted days!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

It's a big old waiting game for you now. Hopefully the supplier will sort it out, as they have employed GLS to make the correct Delivery , and the signature is not your's so if GLS can not find it then supplier should resend the product and get a rebate from GLS. Fingers crossed

Thanks. It is I suppose. Just raging at all the drama & effort and that it's still up to me to go looking up and down the street because the driver can't remember which house. I've been in touch with the company who sent it who have said if GLS can't find it (after a few weeks) they'll refund but not reship, which is disappointing as it's an expensive jacket I picked up in a sale, which is now over.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

sullnoelle wrote: »

Rang GLS this morning, who again were 'surprised' it hadn't been resolved, despite never calling me once when they said they would to check. They said they would contact driver again, and send him out to get the parcel. I asked specifically for a call before he arrived, promised they would. Half an hour later, I hear a noise on the street - he's going around knocking on every door and has some of the neighbours out on the street - specifically the two sets of neighbours I've been annoying the last few days, as he told me it was definitely one or the other. I go out to him. He then remembers that it wasn't either of those houses, but can't remember which one it was. I tell him to start knocking - he says nobody is answering and I should do it myself. He tells me to find the parcel because otherwise he will have to pay for it and that's not fair.

Rant!

i hope you told him to take a jump. What is not fair is that you still dont have your parcel. If his incompetence costs him money that is his problem. Years ago GLS had the contract for all USPS parcels coming from the states. I will never complain about An Post. They are a million times better than GLS.

• Advertisement

Stop! I'm the easiest push over in the land but when he said that I actually just walked away from him and said start knocking!

More and more likely I won't see the package. My address is on it and we live in terraced houses so surely if it's been in someone's house and they want to pass it on they'd have knocked by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

these couriers need to be reported to the regulator, if the local postman decided to drop your post into the neighbour or into the local shop because he couldnt be arsed driving up to your house there would rightly be uproar.

But couriers are failing in their primary duty to deliver the item to the door of the recipient, not the local shop,not some random neighbour. They have been paid to do a job and yet we seem to accept second rate service from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Shelflife wrote: »
    these couriers need to be reported to the regulator, if the local postman decided to drop your post into the neighbour or into the local shop because he couldnt be arsed driving up to your house there would rightly be uproar.

But couriers are failing in their primary duty to deliver the item to the door of the recipient, not the local shop,not some random neighbour. They have been paid to do a job and yet we seem to accept second rate service from them.

who is the regulator for courier companies?

who is the regulator for courier companies?

Not sure, is it comreg ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Shelflife wrote: »
    Not sure, is it comreg ?

Yeah..definitely worth giving the Communications Regulator a call ..NOT:rolleyes:

There is NO regulator for courier companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Probably not going to help but could you look up the name of the person who signed for the parcel (assuming they used their own name) in the local phonebook and see where they live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Is the signature not legible? I know those signature pads they use are pretty useless but might give you some clue?

Maybe it's some untrustworthy neighbour or perhaps he dropped it off at the wrong address entirely.

Make the idiot pay!

Yeah..definitely worth giving the Communications Regulator a call ..NOT:rolleyes:

There is NO regulator for courier companies.

There you go, bizarre that An Post have a regulator and their competition doesnt !

Dont even bother checking to see where it may have been delivered, ring whoever you bought it off and tell them its a non delivery. Its only when these couriers get hit in the pocket that they will start to do their job properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The contract to deliver is with the seller and it is up to them to chase it up. Only deal with the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

GLS were delivering a parcel yesterday. He rang to ask which house I was and I said I wasn't home but drop it to the neighbor next door, I txt my neighbor to say I'll call over for it when I get home. I called to the neighbor and collected the parcel etc. Later I noticed only part of the delivery was delivered so I was expecting the remainder over the next day or so. Thought no more about it until the day after I heard the parcel been pushed through the letter box. I opened the door and it was the same neighbor and she explained the GLS guy dropped it into her earlier. I was home all day and I got no call from GLS driver. So now I am apologizing to my neighbour for her inconvenience........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

strandsman wrote: »
    GLS were delivering a parcel yesterday. He rang to ask which house I was and I said I wasn't home but drop it to the neighbor next door, I txt my neighbor to say I'll call over for it when I get home. I called to the neighbor and collected the parcel etc. Later I noticed only part of the delivery was delivered so I was expecting the remainder over the next day or so. Thought no more about it until the day after I heard the parcel been pushed through the letter box. I opened the door and it was the same neighbor and she explained the GLS guy dropped it into her earlier. I was home all day and I got no call from GLS driver. So now I am apologizing to my neighbour for her inconvenience........

I'm probably missing something but that seems like good service to me.

It was delivered to the neighbours house even though she was at home.

Basically delivered it to the wrong house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

When i was a courier (a good one!) the procedure if the customer wasn't in was to ring the office to get the go ahead to find a neighbour to take the parcel.
    Then find a close neighbour who doesn't have a sketchy looking house.
    Leave the parcel.Take the name and address of the person,and print these details on the delivery docket myself.
    Finally,leave a note in the customers letterbox,confirming who took the parcel in.
    As an added step, especially in rural areas of Ireland where there aren't house numbers,confirm with the person taking in the package that the address is indeed their neighbour's.

It's not that hard to do it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

My gripe with them is the second delivery, the driver never contacted me to (A) Ask am I at the house or to say he was on his way (B) say he dropped the parcel to a neighbor.
    I suppose I should be lucky it arrived this near my house. Usually the courier drivers just drop it to the local shop 2 miles away and call a couple hours later to say it's in the local shop and he tried to contact me earlier etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 gmarie33

I Sent 6 packages and 5 arrived smashed up! Some had marks like they laid a pallet on top of them, the boxes had loads of fragile stickers.

The packages arrived and even without opening them I could hear the shattering of glass. So the staff must not have seen the fragile stickers and they must not have heard the glass smashed to bits inside! One I had delivered and the receiver said to the driver this is clearly smashed and he said take that up with the sender and made them sign.

I contact customer service and they tell me to fill out forms and send loads of information, didn't tell me any rules on people signing. I do the forms which took near 2 hours to get ready with pictures. I send and they send to another department which then tells me they received only two claims, I ask can you not get them from the customer service I emailed as I am out and they say no! I then resend and her nothing for a week, so I email her and get a cold response of your claims have been rejected and that because they signed for them I have no claim. Even though the driver was notified and told the recipient to sign and take to up with the sender. I also noted why they didn't tell me this before I spent an evening filling out the stupid long forms.

The woman emailing me was grand she sounded broken like my packages, I would say she deals with this sort of thing each day, every day and I did work in Customer Service before so can't give out to her, but I did advise I would spend my Friday night reviewing the company. And here I am :)
    I use An Post now and not one issue, how this company is in business is beyond me. I am now reading the reviews online and I see I am not the only one. They have no respect for the packages they deliver, the customer service is crap! Do not use this company under any circumstances!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DD08

I can't beleive it 11 HOURS HOUSEBOUND AND GLS DIDN'T BOTHER TO COME, THEY'D TAKEN MY MONEY QUICKLY ENOUGH THOUGH! ! I ordered a courier collection via irish Parcels with GLS. I waited in from 8am until now, almost 7pm.
    I rang at 9 to request an approximate time, but the message just kept playing " you are nr 1 in the queue" waited 7 minutes, nothing.
    11.25 sm 11 mintes and I got a customer service guy. he'd call the driver & call me back. No call back.
    I tried Irish parcels and they couldn't help apparently.
    14.58 no sign of anyone, called again, waited 16 minutes!!!! Same customer service guy would "definately" call me back... NO nothing!!!!
    17.40 I rang & held for 14 minutes, when i finally at 17.54 got through customer service HUNG UP!!!.
    I joined the queue again.... 27 mins later I gave up inspite of having progressed from 3 to 2.

No collection, no service
    DISGRACEFUL I couldnt' go to work, I couldn't even walk the dog or by vegetables for dinner! UNBELIEVABLE... and still the package is in the hall!!!!! WAITING.

I WON'T GO NEAR THEM AGAIN. TOMORROW i'M GOING TO TRY TO GET A REFUND VIA IRISH PARCELS AND BOOK WITH AN ALTERNATIVE. !!!! I sure hope the irish parcels service is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Just to clear up the regulatory issue. Under the Postal Services Act 2011 all registered operators are required to have and publish a code of complaint handling which includes compensation. GLS is one of these. Pm me if you want and I can give you the customer services escalation.

There are extra obligations on An Post in relation to quality,accounting and universal service but the customer code is across the board.

ComReg regulate both...but different departments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

amtc wrote: »
    Just to clear up the regulatory issue. Under the Postal Services Act 2011 all registered operators are required to have and publish a code of complaint handling which includes compensation. GLS is one of these. Pm me if you want and I can give you the customer services escalation.

There are extra obligations on An Post in relation to quality,accounting and universal service but the customer code is across the board.

ComReg regulate both...but different departments

Is that not as a Postal service, rather than a courier/parcel operator?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

No if you choose to notify it covers both.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

competition in the courier game is at an all time high at the moment, profit margins are tight and because of this they're taking on anyone to do these delivery jobs..with little or no training...because turnover is huge, guys do it for a few weeks and quit...so its not just GLS, its across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Don't use GLS to send anything.

I sent a PC back to the UK as it was faulty. Was insured up to €300 and could be tracked, all for €25 so I was happy enough. They said it was a 3 day delivery.

They sent the Parcel to the UK where it was lost. Any time I rang they said there was a delay in getting in shipped but could not tell me any info. It always took around 10 mins to get through, would have cost a fortune only for I have unlimited calls as I must have called them 10 times in total. They advised to contact the courier in the UK who they passed it onto.
    When I rang the Uk courier they said I was not a customer of theirs and to call back GLS.

I rang back GLS several times looking for updates and got no-where.

I asked for their claims form to be sent as the item had been lost as no one knew where it was and it was not delivered.

Guy said it would be emailed to me, got nothing, rang back again, same story.

Made a complaint via their website, had a missed call a couple of days later, when I called back no one knew who had been calling or why. I was also in touch with the business that were due to receive the parcel who did not receive anything.

After two weeks or calls and complaints the business that the PC was going back to got in touch with me again to advise that they had received it. Neither GLS or the the UK courier could advise that it had been delivered.

The GLS website was updated three weeks later to show it had been delivered but no one ever got back to me.

Advertisement