If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mid-range 4K TV

Options
  • 29-07-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I know there are likely a million posts on this so apologies...

I am looking for a 55" 4K TV for around the €2,000 mark (no higher). There are just so many options that I am baffled!

Most important thing for me is picture quality (both native 4K - Netflix Streaming., and also HD upscalling from Sky HD) as well as very little motion blur (for sports). SMART TV functions or gamer functions not so important.

Have looked at Samsung (UE55JU7500) and Sony (KD55X8509cbu) as two good options?? Anyone have one of these?

Would love any advice from anyone who actually made a decision on a TV in this range and is happy (or not) with it!!

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

carrollf wrote: »
    I know there are likely a million posts on this so apologies...

I am looking for a 55" 4K TV for around the €2,000 mark (no higher). There are just so many options that I am baffled!

Most important thing for me is picture quality (both native 4K - Netflix Streaming., and also HD upscalling from Sky HD) as well as very little motion blur (for sports). SMART TV functions or gamer functions not so important.

Have looked at Samsung (UE55JU7500) and Sony (KD55X8509cbu) as two good options?? Anyone have one of these?

Would love any advice from anyone who actually made a decision on a TV in this range and is happy (or not) with it!!

Thanks
    The Sony is a really good option - I really like the 55X8509 and its super value at the moment - I can do them at €1679 including a 6 year warranty and delivery, but you should also have a look at the Panasonic TX55CX680 - the CX680 series are getting amazing reviews this year and in the flesh they really are the best mid-range 4K around and the Euro pricing is really exceptional value as well - we can do these at just €1539 again including a 6 year warranty and delivery. The CX680 strip out some of the silly features of the higher ranges but you are left with picture quality that does look pretty amazing on 4K and the 1080 upscaler is brill - they have dumped the silly features and kept the quality and I'd never argue with that logic..

Here is a review of the 40" CX680 - http://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/tx-40cx680b/review

Have a look around and keep us posted if we can ever assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭carrollf

Thanks John - do you rate the Samsung JS/JU models? Is the extra cost for the 'S' worth it? I'm liking the form factor of the Samsung's a lot but wondering how the JU, JS models compare at the 55" range vs the cost of each

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

carrollf wrote: »
    Thanks John - do you rate the Samsung JS/JU models? Is the extra cost for the 'S' worth it? I'm liking the form factor of the Samsung's a lot but wondering how the JU, JS models compare at the 55" range vs the cost of each
    The JS Sammys have a higher refresh rate than the JU ( and I agree, the Sammy cabinets look quite sexy) but the JS series do come at a fairly serious premium over the JU and if you have a max 2K budget you will be pushed to get a 55JS model ( there is a Samsung cash back-trade in deal that will soften the pain a little at the moment which for example is £250 / €320 on the 55JS8500).. this will see you nearing the €2.5 k point - but to dip under the €2k with a 'JS' I think you would have to look at a 48" unless you can see any silly pricing out there ( and I think we are pretty much the cheapest around on the JU and JS at the moment)

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.