Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up as a Sole Trader - Questions

Options
  • 29-07-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Looking at the sole trader form, I see a section where you enter your activity.

* can you be a sole trader if your only business is funds investment, ie: your only source of income would be dividends, interests, ...
    I'm asking because it seems very passive but I'd argue that being a landlord is a bit like owning REITs shares.

* what if there are several activities, do you need to setup separate entities or can you cover everything under the one sole trader and then what do you enter as being your activity?
    realistic examples would be: investment and/or web design and/or being a landlord.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Read here

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blue Steel

Read here

I'm not sure this answered my questions though: it shows differences between Sole Trader V Limited Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Dividends, interest income would not generally be regarded as trading income but they would normally need to be returned on your personal tax return 31 October.

Similarly rental income is another type of income. Unless you were running a guesthouse or a B&B it would not be regarded as trading income. You would still have to return it on your personal tax return every October and there are lots of other issues with rental income which I wont go into here. You may also need to register with the revenue for self assessment.

If you are buying or selling the investments on a regular basis this could sometimes be argued to be trading income but more often then not the income would be subject to capital gains tax.

If you do have trading income and you want to set up as a sole trader. Then you just set up once with the revenue for self assessment. You will need to have the profit or losses of any separate trades split out in order to complete the tax return properly.

dbran

Advertisement