Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Build - Help with choosing a PSU and Monitor.

Options
  • 29-07-2015 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

1. What is your budget? €1200

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Heavy enough gaming, I'd like it to be able to handle The Witcher 3 on ultra with 60fps(ish)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No, first ever desktop.

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need? I was thinking between 22"- 24" 1080p but I've been wondering whether a 1440p would be worth the extra money...

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No not on this build.

8. How can you pay? Credit Card/Paypal

9. When are you purchasing? Within the next couple of weeks.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Should be okay building on my own. (That's half the fun!)

So far this is the build I've come up with

CPU i5-4590 €182
    GPU Sapphire R9 390 €300
    Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 LGA €69
    SSD Sandisk Ultra II 480gb €146
    RAM Hyper X Fury 8gb (2x4gb) €45
    Total €742

I'd really appreciate some advice on what PSU to get with this build, I've been looking at 600w modular ones but I'm having trouble finding decent ones for a reasonable price (Maybe I just need to lower my expectations though). Also I've been toying with the idea of getting a 1440p screen and would love some input on whether their worth it

Oh, and I almost forgot, any recommendations on good cases that'd fit the budget would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Not 100% sure what you'd need for psu in terms of size but I personally like corsair psus and bequiet get alot of recommendations on here as well.

Case is a personal preferenece kind of thing if you want windowed or not etc... as there is any amount for prices from about €20 to €300.

Hardwareversand were doing ben q monitors for about €130 but they are having difficulties at the minute so not sure how it would compare on amazon with sterling and shipping etc... Do you want a full tower or mid tower? Particular colors in mind? Do you need a certain amount of front slots for dvd drive, fan controller etc... Want a set amount of fans? Looking to water cool? These things can have big impact on the case you want as well as obviously being aesthetically pleasing.

Currys also have 24 inch 1080 monitors for about €160 with multiple connection options and peace of mind that if theres a problem you only have to pop in again don't have to ship it back. Something like this:

http://www.currys.ie/Product/acer-s240hlbid-full-hd-24-led-monitor/319587/401.3.2

Can get smaller for less as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I just ordered a BenQ 2450 from amazon.de for €155 including shipping which isn't bad.

Any BitFenix case should do, or a Lian Li if you've money to burn

A 500w PSU is enough, I recommend BeQuiet but Corsair are good too

Sound build, just make sure you pick a good manufacturer for your parts, especially the GPU.

GTX 970 is another GPU to look at, but if you decide to go for 1440p then get the 390

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Up your processor to the i5 4690K if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

I just ordered a BenQ 2450 from amazon.de for €155 including shipping which isn't bad.

Nice one I was going to hit currys at the weekend for the one I linked but will be ordering one of them instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 normjennings

First off, thanks for the suggestions it really is appreciated.

I posted a build on reddit with 500w PSU and they said to go for a higher wattage, that's why I was leaning towards a 600w.

The Lian Li cases definitely seem a bit pricey for me (they look great though). I'll take a closer look the BitFenix cases as it'll probably come down to being between them and a Fractal Design.

I was originally gonna go with a GTX 970 but I wanted to futureproof a bit and just thought the 390 was worth the price. Would Sapphire be a good manufacturer or would I be better off going with a Gigabyte for the extra 10 quid?

I never even thought Currys! True it would be nice able to just pop back into the shop if there's any problems and €160 is a nice price.

• Advertisement

Hadn't noticed you listed Sapphire. They're the best manufacturer for AMD cards. 500w is loads, go 550w if you're wary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

No harm going to 550/600, if you pump more voltage into a 390 they can draw a nice bit; that being said, even an over clocked i5 is light on juice.

I'd go for 550 - 650 OP, 650 is a bit too safe, but no harm in it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

An overclocked (extra voltage) 390X with an i7 system drawing 540 under load. OPS system would be something like 500w with extra voltage on GPU/CPU (worst case) so like I said, no harm in being safend going 550-650.

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2015/07/06/msi_radeon_r9_390x_gaming_8g_overclocking_review/6#.VbjaCtPhTFo

Ok so I've settled on getting the Corsair CS550M Semi Modular 80+ Gold Cert. and a BitFenix Aegis Core case (Thanks Digital, BitFenix make some nice cases and are perfect for me).

Wish me luck on actually building the thing!

Building is the easy part :) Best of luck with the machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Ok so I've settled on getting the Corsair CS550M Semi Modular 80+ Gold Cert. and a BitFenix Aegis Core case (Thanks Digital, BitFenix make some nice cases and are perfect for me).

Wish me luck on actually building the thing!

Just out of curiosity How much are you paying for the psu?

Little bit under €100 including shipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

I think that board only has 2 slots for Ram. Go for an 8GB stick of 2*4.

It's got 4 slots, buts that's what he was doing anyways :confused:

OP theres like a 3% difference between a Bronze and Gold PSU for efficency, a bronze is down around €60 if you wanted to shave some money off

Advertisement