Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home security system that can transfer if needed

Options
  • 29-07-2015 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm currently renting and the house has no security system. I had put off looking into this as hopeful that I will only be renting short term and will buy in the next 12 months. A visit by phonewatch recently got me thinking a bit more about this. The sales rep assured me that the wireless system is completely portable ie. if I do move house, can come with me and be installed in the new home at no cost (I'm somewhat sceptical on the cost piece).

So my question is can anyone confirm that this would be possible with PW and given the fairly high ongoing cost attached to PW, is there an alternative security system that people would recommend that would also allow me to move it to a new house if and when I move?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

All installers now do wireless systems, as you say there is no issue whatsoever with moving the system from one premises to another.
    Poor phone watch have huge marketing expenses and someone has to pay for this so I would encourage you to shop around.
    Just get in it writing from a potential installer the cost of moving the system in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Also remember that your landlord might not be too happy about having sensors mounted to his windows with screws and then being left with holes if you do decide to move. PIRs in every room would probably suit better as holes can be filled and painted over.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

PiRs alone give you very poor protection. The alarm is not going to activate untill after someone has gained assess. Most would recommend perimeter protection. If your landlord had concerns ask him to buy the system off you. Most landlords I deal with wouldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

ellesse wrote: »
    I'm currently renting and the house has no security system. I had put off looking into this as hopeful that I will only be renting short term and will buy in the next 12 months. A visit by phonewatch recently got me thinking a bit more about this. The sales rep assured me that the wireless system is completely portable ie. if I do move house, can come with me and be installed in the new home at no cost (I'm somewhat sceptical on the cost piece).

So my question is can anyone confirm that this would be possible with PW and given the fairly high ongoing cost attached to PW, is there an alternative security system that people would recommend that would also allow me to move it to a new house if and when I move?

With P.W. you would need them to move the system for you.
    The flaw with a PIR only system is an intruder needs to be in your premises to activate the alarm. A better system will protect you perimeter and activate when an intruder tries to gain access as opposed to when they are in. Another down side to a PIR system only system is most of these PIRs will need to be off to allow you access around the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ei0675

Depending on alarm there are curtain pir sensors.
    So mounting to wall inside window frame means if moved allows wall to be filled and painted.
    If an intruder tries to get in window alarm will activate.
    It also allows window to be left open slightly on latch (not advised for better security)to allow air in but still lets alarm to be on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

ei0675 wrote: »
    Depending on alarm there are curtain pir sensors.
    So mounting to wall inside window frame means if moved allows wall to be filled and painted.
    If an intruder tries to get in window alarm will activate.
    It also allows window to be left open slightly on latch (not advised for better security)to allow air in but still lets alarm to be on.

The damage to a window would be more than fixing a few screw holes tho.
    I know I would rather know if an intruder was trying to gain entry to knowing they have got in to activate a curtain PIR.

I would ask the Landlord to either install a system with windows covered or allow for a temporary system to be installed.
    A trap system is only giving an end user a false sense of security.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There is nothing anyone can say here that will convince me a PiR only system is good for anything except to tell you someone has already broken into your property. A good security system is about prevention & deterring.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ei0675

KoolKid wrote: »
    There is nothing anyone can say here that will convince me a PiR only system is good for anything except to tell you someone has already broken into your property. A good security system is about prevention & deterring.

I agree a Pir only alarm is not best practice. But I only suggested curtain pir as an option to leaving holes in frame.
    And although contacts will activate upon opening hench not allowing an intruder inside, at this stage window is open. The curtain pir activates as soon as something passes window(say a hand) so intruder does not have to have entered only attempted.
    But yes I totally agree a pir only system is not good. Ideally contacts and shocks.

But in reality the window has been opened & the damage has been done. It would be seconds in the difference between that and a standard PiR activating.

Advertisement