Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New developments around Greystones

Options
  • 29-07-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭

Carrig Mill
    Where? - Beside Aldi on Mill Rd
    What? - 50 3 & 4 bed houses
    Status - Under construction and for sale "POA"

Blacklion
    Where? - Opposite Lidl and Greystones Educate Together NS
    What? - 150 3 & 4 bed houses
    Status - Planning granted, work not yet started.

La Touche Hotel
    Where? - You know where
    What? - 26 townhouses, some commercial space, a playground(?)
    Status - In planning process, seems likely to be approved by council with minor modifications.

Bow Lane
    Where? - Beside platform 1 of the train station (plot was once the stationmaster's vegetable garden apparently)
    What? - 4 x 4 bed townhouses in 2 3-storey semi detached units
    Status - Council granted planning, has been appealed to ABP by the owner of the adjoining houses on Church Rd.

Greystones Golf Club
    Where? - Greystones Golf Club
    What? - Who knows...
    Status? - Developer has made enquiries, no formal offer yet. Would require 75% approval from club members.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

And Mc Donalds.... they have not gone away you know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

Bow Lane plan should be appealed for reason that the site should be of much higher density. Being located right next to the DART station, located near all central town amenities & schools, this site should be a large apartment block in my opinion.

Perhaps, even an ambitious high-rise design spanning over the rail line on to the Irish Rail car park by the South Beach? Something like what's proposed over Tara st. station, but for residential use.

Housing is far too low density within Greystones town centre. Town needs to stop sprawling out (& eating away at our greenbelt) towards lands at Lidl/Charlesland/Delgany if we are to have a viable way of persons getting to work & having a decent, less car dependant style of living.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

loyatemu wrote: »
    Carrig Mill
    Where? - Beside Aldi on Mill Rd
    What? - 50 3 & 4 bed houses
    Status - Under construction and for sale "POA"

I hate that POA cr@p!
    It drives me nuts :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

karma_coma wrote: »
    Bow Lane plan should be appealed for reason that the site should be of much higher density. Being located right next to the DART station, located near all central town amenities & schools, this site should be a large apartment block in my opinion.

Perhaps, even an ambitious high-rise design spanning over the rail line on to the Irish Rail car park by the South Beach? Something like what's proposed over Tara st. station, but for residential use.

I think that would be horrific and completely out of keeping with the area.
    Once one rise apartment block is built in the center of Greystones a precedent would be set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Seems to be a few units gone up behind Caviston's too ? Difficult to see with the hoardings etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

eigrod wrote: »
    Seems to be a few units gone up behind Caviston's too ? Difficult to see with the hoardings etc.

that's the sheltered housing units on the former Thrift shop site - they've been in half-built limbo for years.

karma_coma wrote: »

it's a tiny site and the only access is via Bow Lane which is narrow with no footpaths. Even 4 houses seems ambitious. I'm surprised they didn't try to negotiate access from the other side via the Burnaby's carpark, as most of the objections have centred around the unsuitability of Bow Lane for extra traffic, bin lorries etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

it's a tiny site and the only access is via Bow Lane which is narrow with no footpaths. Even 4 houses seems ambitious. I'm surprised they didn't try to negotiate access from the other side via the Burnaby's carpark, as most of the objections have centred around the unsuitability of Bow Lane for extra traffic, bin lorries etc.

This site remained the property of CIE and was leased to the station tenant before ultimately being sold off to developers.

Having played there as a child it is completely bonkers to think of houses going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

[QUOTE Greystones Golf Club
    Where? - Greystones Golf Club
    What? - Who knows...
    Status? - Developer has made enquiries, no formal offer yet. Would require 75% approval from club members.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, didn't our pal Derek Mitchel get some sort of preservation order preventing development at the golf club to protect the general amenity in and around roads adjoining the club ? You may recall, it was around the time that North Beach was handed over for Harbour Development (where the Victorian houses and old harbour apparently did not merit any such protection).

legrand wrote: »
    Hmmm, didn't our pal Derek Mitchel get some sort of preservation order preventing development at the golf club to protect the general amenity in and around roads adjoining the club ? You may recall, it was around the time that North Beach was handed over for Harbour Development (where the Victorian houses and old harbour apparently did not merit any such protection).

don't remember that. The council don't own the course so it's not directly comparable to the harbour. Also the "amenity" value is debatable for non-members (though it does contain wildlife I guess - foxes, rabbits etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 sulberto

There are two separate housing developments in Blacklion.
    One directly south of the three schools: 130 houses, mix from 3-5 beds
    Site directly south of the one above: 187 houses, mix of 3-5 beds.
    Part of the planning for the second development is the construction of an improved link from the lidl road to the Blacklion Road past Applewood.

sulberto wrote: »
    There are two separate housing developments in Blacklion.
    One directly south of the three schools: 130 houses, mix from 3-5 beds
    Site directly south of the one above: 187 houses, mix of 3-5 beds.
    Part of the planning for the second development is the construction of an improved link from the lidl road to the Blacklion Road past Applewood.

OK - I hadn't seen the second application. The improved road is part of the overall Blacklion/Delgany bypass plan that will ultimately link up with the roundabout at the top of Delgany Wood - something like this:

356910.png

It's badly needed, when the Summer Project was on in the Gaelscoil it was taking 10 minutes to get out at the traffic lights at Lidl (though part of the problem was the lights not triggering correctly). Would have been useful for any Delgany/Charlesland traffic to go the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

Thorndale House site ... 43, 3 & 4 B/R detach & semi-d houses (PP Granted)
    Ashcroft (near Killincarrig)... 8, 3 B/R semi-d houses (PP Granted)
    Glendale... 8, 4 B/R detach houses (part completed)
    Wicklow Arms site... 12 3/4 B/R terraced houses (proposed)

.... and the madness continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

OK - I hadn't seen the second application. The improved road is part of the overall Blacklion/Delgany bypass plan that will ultimately link up with the roundabout at the top of Delgany Wood - something like this:

356910.png

It's badly needed, when the Summer Project was on in the Gaelscoil it was taking 10 minutes to get out at the traffic lights at Lidl (though part of the problem was the lights not triggering correctly). Would have been useful for any Delgany/Charlesland traffic to go the other direction.

Absolutely. And when the three schools are running at full capacity... There will be over 1700 children being dropped off and picked up... Eeek!...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

Aren't there plans in the future to link Greystones to n11 via Coolagad (I.e over the hill)?

StopWatch wrote: »
    Aren't there plans in the future to link Greystones to n11 via Coolagad (I.e over the hill)?

It's mentioned in the development plan that a road to open up development lands around Coolagad could be the first leg of an eventual link to the N11 presumably connecting at Kilmac or the Glenview - I don't think a route has been defined.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Shazerina wrote: »
    Absolutely. And when the three schools are running at full capacity... There will be over 1700 children being dropped off and picked up... Eeek!...
    Eeek, exactly. It's bad enough around there at the moment around picking up time with parents parking not only along the road blocking the cycle lanes and obstructing sight lines coming out of the Lidl car park, but parking in Lidl as well. If I'm unfortunate enough to get to Lidl such that I'm leaving at the same time I can be up to 20 minutes just trying to get out of the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

It's mentioned in the development plan that a road to open up development lands around Coolagad could be the first leg of an eventual link to the N11 presumably connecting at Kilmac or the Glenview - I don't think a route has been defined.

No plans to keep a green belt around the town then!
    I mean, that's not private golf courses...

StopWatch wrote: »
    No plans to keep a green belt around the town then!
    I mean, that's not private golf courses...

Bray Head and Kilruderry pretty much guarantee a green belt between Greystones and Bray - everything else is probably fair game in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Bray Head and Kilruderry pretty much guarantee a green belt between Greystones and Bray - everything else is probably fair game in the long run.

Keeping us separated from Bray is important.

Thought, I'm very worried we're going to end up perilously close to Kilcoole.

It's not good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

FirstIn wrote: »

It's not good.

Clutch your eircode tight and pray the Kilcoolers pass your house :)

It's not good.

if you're in Charlesland you're already in the Kilcoole electoral district, might as well give up and buy that Massey now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Alun wrote: »
    Eeek, exactly. It's bad enough around there at the moment around picking up time with parents parking not only along the road blocking the cycle lanes and obstructing sight lines coming out of the Lidl car park, but parking in Lidl as well. If I'm unfortunate enough to get to Lidl such that I'm leaving at the same time I can be up to 20 minutes just trying to get out of the car park.
    If only there was a McCafé in which to wait it out! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's not good.

Perish the thought Richard

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

Eponymous wrote: »
    If only there was a McCafé in which to wait it out! :pac:
    Indeed! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

It's not good.

You are really in North Kilcoole.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

mrbrianj wrote: »
    You are really in North Kilcoole.

Well, the Three Trouts River is the traditional border before Ballymore came in :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

Langerland wrote: »
    Well, the Three Trouts River is the traditional border before Ballymore came in :P:D

South Bray then.

Advertisement