Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the chances of this ?

Options
  • 29-07-2015 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Friend next door popped in. Shower was nor working. Went in and checked the CU. RCBO was tripped. Failed to reset. Went upstairs to bathroom. Pull-chord switch not working. Not uncommon, I know. (The build quality if these seems to be p**s poor over recent years). Anyway, I was assuming that it was stuck in the ON position at this point. Disconnected supply L & N terminals at the isolator. RCBO still not resetting. Switch had absolutely no resistance when pushing up. Killed power to CU. RCBO still not setting. Thats it so, I thought.

Got a new 40A RCBO and new isolator switch and installed both. Switched on power and tried shower. RCBO trips after about 10 secs! Switched off shower (Triton T90z) via power button on shower panel. Reset RCBO. Power light on shower illuminates. Hit the power button and bang. RCBO off again. Left power off and removed shower cover. Black sooty deposits everywhere. Cover off. RCBO on. Triton power light illuminated. 240V at terminal. Turn on shower and bang. Trips RCBO. How could you develop 3 faults (the isolator was defunct for some time I'd guess ) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

At a guess, I'd say the shower damaged the RCBO when it failed initially. Also did you test the isolator with a meter to check if it was switching or not?

(I recently had a brass dimmer switch short itself to earth and afterwards the MCB would not reset)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

At a guess, I'd say the shower damaged the RCBO when it failed initially. Also did you test the isolator with a meter to check if it was switching or not?

(I recently had a brass dimmer switch short itself to earth and afterwards the MCB would not reset)
    Yep, after the replacement, I metered the load side / supply side of the switch and they were permanently connected; switch was inoperative - stuck in ON position.

As you mentioned earlier the switch may have been faulty for a while, or possibly it's contacts fused together with the fault current.

Referring to your PM, what resistance between N & E do you get with the new isolator in the off position?

Getting a zero resistance with the isolator and RCBO on doesn't mean anything (apart from proving the neutralising link is present, but that's not relevant to your issue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Shower probably has earth fault. Adding new rcbo still showing it.

Inside of showers covered in black deposit is not unusual. It's from brushes of pump motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Replaced the shower and all is well. Now to try and establish the fault, just for the pig-iron. Would extensive carbon deposits from the brushes ( very heavy around the commutator ) potentially cause the issue ?

One thing I did notice between the 2 units when I had them side by side. The N/E terminals on the old motor unit gave a reading of approx 16Kohms whereas on the new unit, there was no reading. Reason for this ?
    The elements of both units turned out similar 11.5 & 14ohms respectively when metered.

Advertisement