Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am in a mess please urgent help!

Options
  • 29-07-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello,

I am going to buy a caravan tomorrow in Leitrim Co. The caravan was imported from UK to Ireland but has not papers , only the booklet of instructions.

The weight is 850 kgs so I presume I can tow it without problem as long as I have a Ford Transit Connect turbo diesel 1.8 and the total MAM weight would be less than 3500 Kgs.

My question is:

Do I have to register the caravan somewhere else? is legal to tow this caravan around europe without registration number?

I am quite a little bit lost so I need some help to know what to do with the caravan once I get it.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Lydia
    Co. Laois
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

lydialaois wrote: »
    is legal to tow this caravan around europe without registration number?
    Not in the least. To travel around Europe you need to have it registered in one of its member states. What you need to do to register it will depend on whether you are buying it new or second hand. You’ll have to go to your local motor tax office to get the forms, and you may be required to get the thing weighed.

I don’t know if the procedure for caravans differ from truck trailers, but in order to register a truck trailer you need to have its EU certificate of conformity, fill out form TF100 and pay over the VRT. There are few more hoops if the trailer is second hand.

I’m assuming caravans are similar, and I’d advise dropping into your local tax office to find out what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lydialaois

Aimead wrote: »
    Not in the least. To travel around Europe you need to have it registered in one of its member states. What you need to do to register it will depend on whether you are buying it new or second hand. You’ll have to go to your local motor tax office to get the forms, and you may be required to get the thing weighed.

I don’t know if the procedure for caravans differ from truck trailers, but in order to register a truck trailer you need to have its EU certificate of conformity, fill out form TF100 and pay over the VRT. There are few more hoops if the trailer is second hand.

I’m assuming caravans are similar, and I’d advise dropping into your local tax office to find out what you need.

Thanks. It is a second hand caravan :)
    Then I have to go to motor tax office and that is all?

Then I have to go to motor tax office and that is all?
    Well…it will be the start of the process. They’ll give a TF100 form to fill out. You’ll probably need to get the caravan weighed and put through a CVRT/NCT, but the tax office will be able to confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hello,

I am going to buy a caravan tomorrow in Leitrim Co. The caravan was imported from UK to Ireland but has not papers , only the booklet of instructions.

The weight is 850 kgs so I presume I can tow it without problem as long as I have a Ford Transit Connect turbo diesel 1.8 and the total MAM weight would be less than 3500 Kgs.

My question is:

Do I have to register the caravan somewhere else? is legal to tow this caravan around europe without registration number?

I am quite a little bit lost so I need some help to know what to do with the caravan once I get it.

Lydia
    Co. Laois

I looks like there is a little confusion here :confused:

You don't need to register a caravan, it's not a motor vehicle.

Like any trailer it only needs to have a number plate which has the same number as the towing vehicle. (some EU countries are different, but what's legal here is acceptable when the trailer is used elsewhere). Just go to your local motor factors and they will make one up for you which you can attach yourself.

It's only commercial trailers over 3,500kg which need to be tested, caravans do not.

If the combined plated weights (the GVW or MTPLM) of both the towing vehicle and the caravan (trailer) does not exceed 3,500kg an ordinary car licence (B licence) is OK, if the combined weight is over 3,500 you need an EB licence.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    You don't need to register a caravan, it's not a motor vehicle.
    We have to register lorry trailers and they aren't motor vehicles either...

The RSA list caravans on the list here:
    http://rsa.ie/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Vehicle-Standards/Vehicle-Type-Approval-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lydialaois

Hello,

My question is:

Lydia
    Co. Laois

Thanks to all for the help. I appreciate it much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Aimead wrote: »
    We have to register lorry trailers and they aren't motor vehicles either...

The RSA list caravans on the list here:
    http://rsa.ie/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Vehicle-Standards/Vehicle-Type-Approval-/

Registration and testing does not apply to caravans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

*Kol* wrote: »
    Registration and testing does not apply to caravans.

If it's your first caravan I think you'll have enough fun figuring out how the appliances work without the - luckily non existent - bothers of registration or testing. Once the lights are working and the towing vehicle is big enough then you'll be fine. Number plate from the nearest motor factor and you're sorted. Plus mirror extensions for the van if needed. This all said by a non caravanner.

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    If it's your first caravan I think you'll have enough fun figuring out how the appliances work without the - luckily non existent - bothers of registration or testing. Once the lights are working and the towing vehicle is big enough then you'll be fine. Number plate from the nearest motor factor and you're sorted. Plus mirror extensions for the van if needed. This all said by a non caravanner.

And seconded by an ex-caravanner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

How do you know it hasn't been stolen at some point, when it has no papers? Did you do a CRIS check?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    How do you know it hasn't been stolen at some point, when it has no papers? Did you do a CRIS check?

Very good point AMM.
    I never knew anything about CRIS until I read your post. Good thing to know.

So basically you would expect your caravan should come with some form of paperwork then?? If I,m reading CRIS right?

kadman

kadman wrote: »
    Very good point AMM.
    I never knew anything about CRIS until I read your post. Good thing to know.

So basically you would expect your caravan should come with some form of paperwork then?? If I,m reading CRIS right?

kadman

CRiS is a UK registration system, it has no connection to The DVLA, it is not compulsory just a voluntary thing.

Because An Garda Síochana do not recognise or promote the system many Irish caravan owners do not bother with it so it is not unusual for buyers and sellers here not inform CRiS about changes of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

The caravan was imported from the UK so it should have been registered with CRiS. The registration number should be on the windows even if there are no documents.

Advertisement