Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the king of the promo? You decide! vote here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Terry Funk. While I think Hot Rod was great, he could make you hate him so easily and make you want to pay to see him loose....but as a face? Not so much.

Terry could sell wool to a sheep. No matter what side of the coin he was on, he made you care. The most amazing thing was he would come across as broken, but still tougher than anyone. That takes skill, and it came naturally to the Funker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Do you know what, I'm gonna go Funker too. His penchant for illiciting sympathy is very underrated and was paramount to his face work. He could also do pscycho very well and quiet cerebral excellently too. I'm gonna go Terry Funk, but not by much. Piper was awesome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I am going for Piper

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Piper gets my vote. I'm much more familiar with him really, so that tips it in his favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Piper for the win and hopefully get this tournament back on track

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Piper for me, the passion he put in to every promo got you immediately invested in the match - he made you seriously hate him, and he could control a crowd like very few people could.

Hot Rod

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

ricero wrote: »
    Piper for the win and hopefully get this tournament back on track

Votes have dried up. Little reason to carry on if people stop caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Roddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Piper for me, awesome heel!

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Votes have dried up. Little reason to carry on if people stop caring.

Ah I think ya be surprised with the interest. I think it's great fun and you have done a fantastic job so far. Just this round dragged that's all. It will heat up again now

• Advertisement

Yeah dont give up now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Piper for me!! Love the guy!!

Eventually got to 6 votes for Roddy. I have no idea why people just stopped voting. Down to 8 now so hopefully people will step up.

First to 6 rule is gone now, these will run for at least 24 hours now. Please outline a reason for your vote, discuss great promos, debate other users votes, anything at all :)

Quarter finals, Match One:

Dusty Rhodes:

Rd 1: bt Bobby Heenan 6-2
    Rd 2: bt Stone Cold 6-3

vs

Mick Foley:

Rd 1: bt Jimmy Jacobs 6-0
    Rd 2: bt Bray Wyatt 6-2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wouldnt be surprised if the votes dried up because the match ups are getting a lot tighter I mean the last one and this one are very hard to call for me... i'll vote later

For me I'm going for Foley on this one.
    As I grew up in his era. Some fantastic promos and I always listened when Foley had a microphone. Could be scary or hilarious he had fantastic range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

The American Dream gets my vote.Dusty is a proper legend. He's up there with the very,very best.

Mankind for me, I love his promos and interviews during his psychotic stage, Dusty had some good promos too but Mankind's were often more than promos, they were sometimes genuinely unsettling and told a great story, as the character descends from reasonably same to disturbed to dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Dusty Rhodes. He was so poetic and was able to entertain in any situation he was put in. Even in recent years, when he was on the mic, there'd always be a section I'd come away quoting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If I had been born ten years earlier I've a feeling that I would be going for Dusty but vote 1 for the MIcker here, from his ECW days to the crazed Mankind promos and the Rock n Sock comedy he always got me with his promo skills. Could def hold an audiences attention and I honestly always founf him good on the mic when he returned too even if he was a shell of a character in comparison just there for a little extra do-ray-me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Both are absolutely amazing on the mic - can grab your attention from the firts to the last word so this one is really tricky. I think I am going to give my vote to Dusty as if you put them both at their very best, dusty would JUST shade it.....but at the other end of the spectrum - a bad foley promo can be horrible, where as a bad dusty promo was still ooh so sweet!

Dusty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's a tough one but Dusty was legit more charming whereas Mick became a total mark himself, especially if you read his Promoland stuff in Hardcore Diaries.

Dusty Rhodes baybay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Foley was great but always seemed like too much of a 'character'. Dusty promos felt like the real Dusty Rhodes to me and that's always what I lean towards.

Missed the part where he beat SCSA..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Dusty for me. The guy bled charisma, and normally I don't like the promos from that generation. Foley was purely a character. In fact in the previous round, I believe Dusty beat Stone Cold because of the general consensus that SC was great because of his character rather than promos, I think it's the same case here only SC is better than Foley. The rock n sock connection was funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

When Foley was good he was very, very good. But when he was bad, he was really bad.
    Dusty always came across as entertaining no matter what he was saying so my vote goes to The American Dream

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I think I'll go with Dusty too, purely because of reasons stated already. Mick Foley can deliver an awesome promo, but then, so much of his stuff is cringy too.

So I'm gonna go Dusty

I'm glad to see Dusty Rhodes getting his due in this round. I think he would have even if alive. Omackeral summed it up well there, basically Mick Foley turned into a bit of a mark later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Dusty for me too. I can't put it any better than has been said above other than to say that he just was the embodiment of the "American Dream", he was the guy you could relate to. He made you believe he wasn't playing a role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I'm gonna go with Dusty, extremely charismatic and gripping.

Dusty wins 11-3. Fair score imo. Next one is a doozy :pac:

Quarter Final Two:

The Rock:

Round 1 bt Jay Briscoe 6-0
    Round 2 bt Ric Flair 6-0

The Great One himself has steamrollered the competition so far. Something tells me this one won't be so easy.

vs

CM Punk:

Round 1 bt Road Warriors 6-1
    Round 2 bt Scott Steiner 6-0

The Voice of the Voiceless himself has been equally impressive. Unstoppable Force meets the Immovable Object here. I think 99% of wrestling fans have both guys in their Top 5 all time promos.

• Advertisement

The Rock. I have gotten far more out of him over the years. CM Punk was very intelligent but he didn't know where to draw the line, I think. What I'm saying is, the guy seems to have destroyed himself over the years, by expecting too much out of the business. Dwayne Johnson, all the way.

Advertisement