Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the king of the promo? You decide! vote here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

A doozy allright!!!
    Punk is excellent on the mic imo, very direct, in your face and real. Yeah prob b in most ppls top 5.

The Rock however, is without a doubt THE man when it comes to promo's. The man has done it for years.Face,Heel it doesn't matter.... Im sure there's millions that would agree with me.....
    THE ROCK GETS MY VOTE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Has to be the Rock for me. When Punk was good he was amazing but then for so long he resulted in sounding like a whiney smark. The rock was always gold, Heel, Face....IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT HE IS! He controlled an audience exactly the way he wanted ands has them in the palm of his hand right from the off!

Rocky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Punk is by far the best of his generation and on his day was as good as anybody but The Rock is probably the best ever. Some of the comedy has been pretty dire since he came back but other than that he is incredible. I think SCSA is really underrated and I'd rather listen to him than the Rock but on diversity The Rock is the most electric man in all of entertainment...

Rock but Punk is in the top few ever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I imagine this is already a foregone conclusion, but I'll vote for Punk. The Pipebomb was a monumental promo, and it had so many people questioning just how kayfabe it actually was, an impressive feat in the age of the IWC. I really enjoyed his work when he was feuding with Jericho too, it was cool to see the two of the best of the age playing off each other.

I'll also admit part of my reasoning to vote Punk is I want to make sure this wasn't a clean sweep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

I would actually vote for Punk. I think he is capable of the Rock style funny/arrogance in his promos, but can also manage to convey Jake The Snake style intensity when needs be. The Rock, while great at what he does, always felt a bit one note to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

What takes Punk down a notch for me is that I think if he doesn't get the sort of reaction he wants from an audience he can start panicking, whereas The Rock often turned it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

I believe The Rock is the best of all time because no-one can control the audience like him. At the drop of a hat, he can get the whole crowd to chant one of his catchphrases in unison, which is something no other wrestler has done or can do.

That and most of his promos are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Punk for me.

Rock was great but has act is very dated and hasn't aged well. I loved him when I was 15 etc but nowadays it's juvenile tbh. All that cookie puss stuff from his last run was god awful and when I'm favouring Cena over Rock in a PG era feud where both are allowed to drop bombs, it's a bad sign for Dwayne.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Rock for me, he could work any crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Punk.

Your arms are too short to box with GOD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I believe The Rock is the best of all time because no-one can control the audience like him. At the drop of a hat, he can get the whole crowd to chant one of his catchphrases in unison, which is something no other wrestler has done or can do.

That and most of his promos are hilarious.
    Pretty much this.

Rock for me

Most of CM Punk's best stuff was taken from movies and comic books though, I believe. He definitely quoted The Wire before and Fantastic Four. I think there was an Oz reference too.

I agree that Punks promos will age better than some of The Rocks but Punk wasn't on top of his game for long enough. If Punk returned at some point he could be back in the running.

Sorry, I know this isn't a debate.. Still with Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

The Rock...no matter what he was talking about, he always got a reaction from the crowd. No matter how bad/disinterested the crowd was for the product, Rock would always get them cheering/chanting along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

What takes Punk down a notch for me is that I think if he doesn't get the sort of reaction he wants from an audience he can start panicking, whereas The Rock often turned it around.

This 100%. The second you see a Punk promo go in a different direction, you could see the frustration in his eyes and instantly you knew it was supposed to be different. Rocky would always own it, and when the tides changed, he still swam with them rather than against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm going for Punk.

I love The Rock. He is amazingly funny. But, he's also nasty in what he says about opponents. And, he calls them things like Jabroni etc. So, at the end of the day, these 2 guys fight, Rocky wins, and who has he beaten? A Jabroni.

Punk on the other hand, it seemed to me, more often than not, that he meant everything he said. And you'd believe every word that came out. He could be funny, intense and to the point.

Punk for me

This 100%. The second you see a Punk promo go in a different direction, you could see the frustration in his eyes and instantly you knew it was supposed to be different. Rocky would always own it, and when the tides changed, he still swam with them rather than against them.
    An example that always springs to mind for me is during his pipe-bomb in 2011, he starts berating his fanbase. He gives out about people looking for his autograph in airports in the small hours of the morning (or something to that effect) and people selling his signature on E-Bay. It's needlessly confrontational towards wrestling fans, I feel. He'll definitely go down in history for that promo, without a doubt but that's just one example of him showing contempt to fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

He was a heel at the time so it's fair enough really.

I guess you're right, but even when he was a babyface he still didn't seem overly friendly either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

CM Punk for me.

The Rock is great, he has had some amazing moments but well and truly he just uses the same few catchphrases over and over. His promos have generally had the same formula. He also didn't help the likes of Billy Gunn and Booker T with his style.
    Punk didn't need catchphrases to be good on the mic, when he spoke you listened and he was just awesome. The Pipebomb is probably one of the most memorable moments in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

The Rock for me, he has more memorable catchphrases and promos than CM Punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

The Rock wins 10 votes to 6. Can anyone stop him?

Quarter Final Three:

Jake Roberts:

Round 1 bt Kurt Angle 6-2
    Round 2 bt Chris Jericho 6-4

An impressive run for Jake, Jericho and Angle were no slouches.

In an era when coked up, insane, shouting promos were the norm, Jake managed to be cerebral, intense and utterly terrifying no matter what.

vs

Paul Heyman:

Round 1 bt Taz 6-0
    Round 2 bt HHH 6-0

The advocate himself has been on a rampage so far, can Jake and Damien put an end to it?

In 9 minutes, Heyman validated the decision for Brock Lesnar to end the streak. Brock became one of the most hated men in wrestling, to a beloved badass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Wow this is gettin good now!!!!!!!

I love Jake, i really thought he'd go a long way in this. INTENSE!!!!!!

But.... I cant vote for Jake when he's up against Heyman.
    Ladies and gentlemen, my vote is PAUL HEYMAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Heyman and Funk are the only two Id out ahead of The Rock, so I'm backing all my faith into the Heyman machine to beat Jake, and win the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Heyman. If he told me to buy the Network for 9.99 and told me it was worth it, I'd believe him and buy it. He sells matches and PPV's like no one else.

The competition is heating up.. The fact that possibly the least photogenic man in wrestling gets more time on the mic than anybody else says it all. Heyman to me is the smartest guy ever in professional wrestling and arguably the best ever talker.

With his help I think Brock will go down as one of the greatest of all time in an era where that seemed like a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Jake was a great promo, he had an intensity about him that forced you to pay attention to what he was saying. He didn't need to shout or use catchphrases to get his point across

However.....Heyman is unbelievable. That man could sell ice to the Eskimos. How many "meh" angles have been turned into "must see" on the strength of Heymans promo alone. He is an artist.
    Heyman gets my vote

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Chris Jericho.
    Ultimate Warrior.

Couldn't take your eyes off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Heyman for me.

Simply because, he's more familiar to me. I've seen more of his stuff, and to be honest, I prefer his style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Chris Jericho.
    Ultimate Warrior.

Couldn't take your eyes off them.

:confused:

Advertisement