Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the king of the promo? You decide! vote here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I don't want a whitewash, I am a big fan of Jake, I am still voting for Heyman.

Probably the only guy left that I think can rival The Rock and the man who really does sell shows / rivalries better than any other

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Keep the votes coming folks, don't want to see this die out.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Heyman as I am more familiar with him and Jake used to scare me when I was younger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Jake Roberts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Paul Heyman for me is the best talker in all of pro wrestling right now that alone is reason enough for him to win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Heyman for the round and the tournament

It is a very close one, but I find that Jake Roberts edges it as he used build up opponents brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Jake Roberts because he's actually a wrestler and a better actor.

Good to see someone else voting for Jake. Come on lads, climb up out of the Snake Pit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Heyman is good at selling a match with someone people want to see like Lesnar or Punk, but did anybody care about Big Show, Curtis Axel, Cesaro or Ryback?

Jake Roberts for me. Man made you care about every one of his feuds. His Royal Rumble promos are particularly good as they showcase how formulaic and bland everyone else was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

The only thing I would say in his defence is that they were all already jobbed out before Heyman got a chance with them. They also hadn't very much experience.

I didn't like the Goldberg character but I think Ryback is great. He looks and more importantly sounds tough. I'm a huge fan of his now but it's probably too late.

Plus they were always just placeholders till Brock got back and therefore they never really were given much to do. Cesaro in particular im sure Heyman could have really gotten over if they wanted him to but it was all about keeping Brock in everyone's minds then and beating home the whole 1 in 21 and 1 schtick until he returned instead.

Has this died off?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Next round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Heyman wins man??? Next round??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The OP said there was a lack of interest but tbh if you're running these things you have to be there to give nudges etc and set deadlines. Seemed to lose a bit of faith in it too. Anyway I reckon there's plenty of involvement from posters so I'll take over if that's all good.

We have one more Quarter Final down for decision and it's quite a doozy. Both will be inextricably linked the Hulkamania era for very different reasons but right here and right now they clash in a battle of the promos. We'll give them 24 hours to get as many votes as they can. Let's get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I'm going for Jake, he can convince people that he is sadistic, which isn't found in wrestling today. Heyman is a great talker and probably the best talker in the WWE today, but Adolf Hitler was a great talker, too. Being a great talker isn't everything. Edit* Am I too late?

Im going for Hot Rod here.

Not much between the two to be fair, i just loved Piper though.

About the thread, there were more than enough votes to complete every round so far?? Anyway, good stuff on taking over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Vinnie mac for me. Hes best heel ever on the mic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Cheers for taking over Omack.

Dealing with family issues at the moment. If you want to finish it out you have my blessing.

• Advertisement

Vince McMahon for me. One of wrestlings best ever characters and he had the talking skills to back it up. It's a toss up between him and Heyman for me.

Hot Rod was great but just a couple of steps below imo.

Vince for me, possibly the greatest heel ever and he perfectly portrayed the evil, sleazy maniacal, boss in his promos

Vince pips Piper to the post in the last quarter final. Our Semi final matches are down for decision today as we endeavour to find out who the King of The Promo truly is. We have only got absolute contenders left so get involved and we'll bring this to the wire!

Semi Final 1

Dwayne.

The Rock's delivery is definitely the best ever but I don't think his promos age well. I much preferred when he talked trash face to face with Austin but kept it somewhat serious. The humour worked well in 1999 but became a bit tiresome for me on his returns. I think Austin and Vince and a few others fare much better in hindsight.

I'll give it to Rock on ability as it's hard to argue Vince was better but he's not always my favourite.

The Rock.

Simply alot better than Vince in my opinion, he could have every single person in a packed out stadium on their feet.

I love Vinny Mac, as a character he is arguably one of the best and he is deservedly in the top several stars on the mic but i'd have the Rock in the top 3 of all time and tbh I think he's the favourite to win this (although I think I may vote against him in the final).

I'll give this a case of the midnight bumps if anyone else fancies casting a vote?

Thanks for the reminder, this is a really tough one, attitude Rock was the best thing on television but that time is long gone.. whereas Vince stayed very consistent in his evil ways...

I think the Rock still shades it though simply for how Great he was in his prime

• Advertisement

The Rock advances with a white wash. Our second semi final had two legends who managed to keep themselves relevant over the decades. Could we be looking at our winner here?

Advertisement