Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the king of the promo? You decide! vote here

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Paul Heyman has far more devices that he relies on when cutting promos than people probably care to mention. He's not someone who you never know what you're going to get with, like a Jake or a Dusty. But that's alright I think. In the same way, it's alright that The Rock uses the same style with his promos as well then I feel. People want those catchphrases.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm really torn on this. I think I have a reason to vote for one, but then I think of an equally valid reason to vote for the other and I'm back to square one.

Vote for whichever one is in better shape. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Both guys are arguably the best at what they do regarding promos. But considering the whole idea of a promo being to build something or someone I think I have to go with Heyman due to his impact at bigging up others and the product in general. Very close though, can't argue with Rock's charisma but I think i just have a great preference for Heyman's raw grindhouse-like intensity as opposed to Rock's more shiny-Hollywood like intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The Rock. His promos are more diverse and no-one has topped The Rock's promos in 1999. He was such a cool motherfúcker back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Haven't really followed this as I've been off the radar a couple of a couple of weeks. Two very worthy finalists.

I have to give my vote to Heyman. Rocky at times was generally paint by numbers (use the catchphrase) promo man. The last year or two excluded Heyman never depended on catchphrases and has had so many memorable promos.

If you were to list the top twenty promos of all time Paul E would crop up more than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Promo by Paul Heyman to Vince McMahon

Look at Tazz! Look at Tazz! This man was a killer, he was a machine! He was a wrestler, a great wrestler, a real man. But wrestling is a dirty word to you, isn’t it, Vince? Your father built a wrestling company, and you, you had to have sports entertainment. ‘We have to have sports entertainment, ha ha ha!’ (Points to Tazz) He was a wrestler, he was a great wrestler, he was a man. And now, he’s a fat, little, obnoxious color commentator, and not even a good one! He is a sports entertainer. He is not a wrestler because you made wrestling a dirty word. You made wrestling a dirty word, Vince. What kind of a man are you? What kind of a man takes wrestling and makes it sports entertainment? At Survivor Series, you’re going down. You’re going down, Vince. I promise you, you’re going down, and I’m going to watch it and your children are going to lift their leg, and stand over your grave and we’re going to laugh. And you know what else I’m going to do, Vince? I’m going to run your ass out of business. And there’s not a damn thing you can do about.

Ladies and Gentlemen, his name is Paul Heyman.... and he is the undisputed and reigning King of the Promo.
    paul-heyman-2-1407837882.jpg

A very enjoyable discussion and nostalgia trip all the way through. Cheers to you and Moneymaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Cheers to Omackeral for the reminder of this, missed out on casting a vote as I hadn't watched the ppv yet and didn't want spoilers.

Would have went with the Rock as he was one of the main reasons I got back into wrestling when he was beginning to emerge. I actually can't stand to watch him now as nothing has changed in his repotoire since he retired from full time wrestling but I guess most fans are just happy to see him pop up. But between 98-2001 he was phenomenal with some of the best promos ever.

I think WWE has always been guilty of if it ain't broke, don't fix it and if it's broken, convince the audience it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Thank you Omack for the reminder. I'm going to go with Heyman here.

Advertisement