Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seller taking integrated appliances

Options
  • 29-07-2015 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Just found out that the seller of a house we're sale agreed on is taking their integrated fridge freezer and dishwasher with them. The kitchen is quite dated and we would plan on renovating in a year or 2. We will be bringing our own free standing fridge freezer but leaving the dishwasher behind as it's integrated.

It's a bit of a plan but I suppose we have a few options. Which would you choose?
    1. Pay over the odds and ask them to leave the appliances. We might get something from our buyers for our fridge freezer.
    2. Bring our fridge freezer and hope it fits in the space for the integrated one. We'd then have to buy a dishwasher. Is it difficult to retrofit integrated appliances?
    3. Sell our fridge freezer and buy new cheap fridge freezer and washer just to get us by

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

Have you spoken to the sellers? When I purchased my flat in London the seller assumed I'd want everything new but given he had only renovated the kitchen 2 years prior I was happy to keep as it. Settled on £500 for fridge freezer, dishwasher, combo washer dryer, cooker. All Bosch or Zanussi products too. Saved him the hassle of disconnecting and moving everything out, saved me the hassle of shopping for machines that fit (not to mention waiting for delivery and someone to hook all those appliances up!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

bisounours wrote: »
    Have you spoken to the sellers? When I purchased my flat in London the seller assumed I'd want everything new but given he had only renovated the kitchen 2 years prior I was happy to keep as it. Settled on £500 for fridge freezer, dishwasher, combo washer dryer, cooker. All Bosch or Zanussi products too. Saved him the hassle of disconnecting and moving everything out, saved me the hassle of shopping for machines that fit (not to mention waiting for delivery and someone to hook all those appliances up!)

The EA has spoken with vendors and they plan to take both appliances with them. Have asked EA to find out brands and if they would be interested in cash to leave them. Total pain in the ass

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

For what it's worth, installing an integrated dishwasher is really no more difficult than installing a regular one (not at all difficult). You just have to screw the facia panel on. Worst that could happen is there's a mismatch in the height of the panel needed for the replacement dishwasher (if the old dishwasher was a semi-integrated design), and you'd have to buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Similar thing happened me, I just got cheap second hand ones off adverts.ie that did the job till I got a new kitchen. Ask that they leave the facia and fittings or tell them that you want a discount as you'll have to replace these parts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Maybe a small lesson learned but we made sure to include white goods when we went sale agreed and listed the items in contracts near the end. People some some crazy things when they are moving out of a house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

DOuble check what is being left in the house. I had a friend who moved into a house and previous owners took door handles and light switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We messed up when we bought our house which was previous being rented. We thought/assumed that the furnishing would come with the house and we would be sorted. They were not. Ironically I met the old owner later and they told me that it was a pain in the arse getting rid of all the old furniture and old white goods - they assumed as they were for renting and not new we wouldn't want them!
    So definitely it pays to ask. My preggers wife had to make do with a deck chair and office chair to sit on for the first couple of months until we got a sofa and chairs sorted out :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

yellow hen wrote: »
    Just found out that the seller of a house we're sale agreed on is taking their integrated fridge freezer and dishwasher with them. The kitchen is quite dated and we would plan on renovating in a year or 2. We will be bringing our own free standing fridge freezer but leaving the dishwasher behind as it's integrated.

It's a bit of a plan but I suppose we have a few options. Which would you choose?
    1. Pay over the odds and ask them to leave the appliances. We might get something from our buyers for our fridge freezer.
    2. Bring our fridge freezer and hope it fits in the space for the integrated one. We'd then have to buy a dishwasher. Is it difficult to retrofit integrated appliances?
    3. Sell our fridge freezer and buy new cheap fridge freezer and washer just to get us by

Let the meanies take the goods. Then gazunder them at the contract signing. Simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Let the meanies take the goods. Then gazunder them at the contract signing. Simple!

What an utterly obnoxious and immoral thing to suggest, threatening the sale of a house after both sides, estate agents, solicitors had agreed on something in good faith.

I'm in the process of selling my house and the bidders asked up front if we were leaving the white goods ( none of it integrated ). We had to say no, as I couldn't afford to just give away €1000 of equipment.

People seem to think that when they buy a house that the sellers will then be loaded. In our case, we're buying a house of similar value, but needs a few grand spent on it, so our budget is tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What an utterly obnoxious and immoral thing to suggest, threatening the sale of a house after both sides, estate agents, solicitors had agreed on something in good faith.

I'm in the process of selling my house and the bidders asked up front if we were leaving the white goods ( none of it integrated ). We had to say no, as I couldn't afford to just give away €1000 of equipment.

People seem to think that when they buy a house that the sellers will then be loaded. In our case, we're buying a house of similar value, but needs a few grand spent on it, so our budget is tight.
    Often the sellers won't have a need for them as they might have a free standing kitchen in the new place as oppose to built in. They might be moving to a place with them already there . They might be old and the want modern A rated appliances.

The place could have been a rental and they have no storage

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. We knew they were taking washer and dryer but stupidly assumed they'd leave the integrated appliances. Anyway, it's fine, just a little awkward. We'll try but something second hand to get us by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Pretty sure that built in items (like integrated appliances) would be classed as part of the sale , (unless otherwise stated before you go sale agreed) - sure otherwise people would take the boiler - bath tub - hot water tank even the bloody light switches with them when they leave-
    Ask your solicitor about it- then contact the estate agent -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Thanks markcheese, apparently well within their rights to take them. I would have (without any real basis) assumed the same as you.

Everything will be in the contract you sign, what's being left or not.
    This is why you pay €€€ for conveyancing.

A seller can take any appliances they like, once you have agreed and signed contract stating same.

Advertisement