Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My cat is insane

• 29-07-2015 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, my cat has always been very chill and relaxed, kinda lazy
    Fast forward until 2 weeks ago
    all of a sudden he seems skittish and nervous, i dont want him to get agressive on me and my sister
    Nothing has changed at all at home, Any reasons for cats to just flip like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Not quite insane then? :-) Cat's have their moments, I'm no expert but maybe his territory's been invaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Adam!038

SimonLynch wrote: »
    Not quite insane then? :-) Cat's have their moments, I'm no expert but maybe his territory's been invaded?

lol yeah maybe not insane
    but im worried, never had a cat before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How old is the cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Does the cat get out? It's possible it's being bullied by a neighbour cat - I've three cats, one of which this started happening to, making it very skittish

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭jopax

Hi op,
    I don't have any knowledge of cats either. I have two cats that were dumped here as kittens, I couldn't find homes so I kept them.
    I always noticed one of them had a kind of mad look about his eyes. Anyway I was out hanging up the washing one day and the two of them were rubbing up against my legs for petting.

Nothing unusual in that, then all of a sudden one of them went absolutely beserk and attacked me viscously, biting and scratching my leg.

That was about 4 years ago, but I will never forget it. He never done it again but I am very wary of him still. I will pet him but I can't relax around him. The other cat can climb up on my shoulders but there is no way I would leave the other one do that, I just can't trust him.
    He can be very affectionate but I think he is just more wild, it seems to be in his nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Maybe he is unwell? Have you had him checked by the vet? He could be sick or have hurt himself, making him nervous of being picked up/touched?

(is he neutered? how old? a house or outdoor cat?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

We have one calm cat and one crazy cat.

Crazy cat gives loads of affection and then mid affection can go nuts scratching and biting - we call her "Bitey" when she is like that, we are both experts at spotting the signs now though so its rare to get caught out!

Calm cat doesnt really care for affection and doesnt really get upset either.

Cats are weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Biting is a sign of affection sometimes. And a serious cat bite is sore.
    If the cat is indoors mostly, it's probably burning off energy.
    Our Aslan use to go mad around 7 most days when we kept her inside. Big massive pupils and crazy breeding, so we brought her back on the vet and we were told its just energy.
    She does be out a bit now and we play with her, so when she hits those highs it's not as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Big massive pupils and crazy breeding....

Yeah, Bitey gets pupils like she is stoned off her head when the crazies come on. Sometimes it looks like her eyes are solid black!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I've had cats for years. They're great, they're independent, they're smart but the certainly are mental..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

My cats go crazy and 'skittish' when they have been inside all day and need to burn some energy. Also sometimes after eating when they get an energy boost.

Nerves would definitely indicate some kind of bullying to me, it's happened with one of my cats in the past. They are very territorial and other cats in the garden could make them uneasy.

Give the cat lots of affection, get some treats and just generally make them feel safe and loved.
    If there is another cat hanging around, maybe get a spray bottle and keep it by the door with water in - you could then spray the other cat when it comes near the house.
    It won't hurt them at all but it will deter them from coming back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

My cats go crazy and 'skittish' when they have been inside all day and need to burn some energy. Also sometimes after eating when they get an energy boost.

Nerves would definitely indicate some kind of bullying to me, it's happened with one of my cats in the past. They are very territorial and other cats in the garden could make them uneasy.

Give the cat lots of affection, get some treats and just generally make them feel safe and loved.
    If there is another cat hanging around, maybe get a spray bottle and keep it by the door with water in - you could then spray the other cat when it comes near the house.
    It won't hurt them at all but it will deter them from coming back!

I have 7 cats plus some strays I feed and a dog so as you can tell I dont get loads of times but I would agree here some cats can become skittish and nervous if you dont spend loads of time with them and handle them a good bit take some time to sit down and play with it for a good hour and relaxing with it and try each day to give some time to it and see how you go with that.
    You can also get the cat nip in spray form which chills them out spray it on their bed or climbing tree and it works a treat.

Advertisement