Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

preserving coffee

• 29-07-2015 8:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Hi

i buy lavazza coffee which i then use in a mocha pot to brew espresso. i store the lavazza grounded beans in an illy container (metal). but ive noticed that when the container is nearly empty, the quality of the coffee deteriorates. i think its the air above the coffee beans that does this. are there any good methods of storing the beans so that they wont go off as quickly.

it really annoys me because when i open the packet of lavazza the first brew is lovely to drink. but then as i use the beans, the taste gets worse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

aaqProblem is the fact the coffee is ground and the flavoursome oils dry out quickly. You'll struggle to combat what is a natural process from the moment the coffee is ground. Fine ground coffee will go off even quicker than coarse ground. You ideally want to only grind what you will use immediately. You can faff about storing in fridges and airtight bags but then you'll introduce problems like condensation.

Picking up a grinder and some beans will give you much improved flavours and results. You could also look at buying smaller bags of coffee beans when in a coffee shop and ask them to grind them there for you. Whilst an improvement on buying some coffee ground months back in a factory overseas it still won't compare to freshly ground.

For a mocha pot you'd manage with a hand grinder from hario or the likes.
    http://coffeeangel.com/product-category/grinders/

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I put my beans into ziploc freezer bags and squeeze them tight to get as much air out as possible before putting in the bottom of the fridge. Does the trick for me as the last of the coffee isn't noticeably staler than the first, after about 6 days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Storing beans in the fridge isn't a good idea. A lot of moisture condenses on the packet and the beans when they're taken out before putting them back in again. You're better off keeping them air-tight in the press and if you've a larger stock that you want to keep for a few weeks lob them in the freezer and a bag out when you need it.

Advertisement