Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to buy

Options
  • 29-07-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    need a little advice. I'm in the process of trying to buy the house I've been renting for for the last nearly 8 years. Yesterday I made an offer that the landlords considered fair. They said though that the furniture would be separate which is fair enough, but they want 5k for it. Bearing in mind that it has all been here since before I moved in so due to depreciation and natural wear and tear I don't think it is worth that. So I'm tempted to tell them that I don't want it and that they can take it.
    The thing I want advice on though is that when she was talking about the furniture and how it was worth 5k she specifically mentioned the shower. I would have thought that the shower would be an essential fixture in the house. There is only the one bathroom and it only has the shower no bath. Are they entitled to include the value of it in the price of the furniture?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Entitlement doesn't come into it. Houses are sold sometimes without bathroom fittings, kitchens etc. This is a private sale and it really is up to the two parties to negotiate what is and isn't included in the sale. I would get everything in writing rather than just verbal agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

MouseTail wrote: »
    Entitlement doesn't come into it. Houses are sold sometimes without bathroom fittings, kitchens etc. This is a private sale and it really is up to the two parties to negotiate what is and isn't included in the sale. I would get everything in writing rather than just verbal agreements.

so people would actually go to the expense of gutting a shower out ? Didn't know that. I don't know much about this stuff as I'm a first time buyer so just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

so people would actually go to the expense of gutting a shower out ?

In most cases, there would be an Estate Agent involved, and particulars of sale would include something like 'tiled bathroom with WC, basin and power shower' so the buyer knows these things are included. You do not have particulars of sale, so you have to negotiate them. Based on the fact the LL mentioned the shower, assume nothing is included in the sale. Go round the house this evening making an exhaustive list, eg bedroom carpet, fitted wardrobe, light fitting, curtains, curtain pole and negotiate from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

MouseTail wrote: »
    In most cases, there would be an Estate Agent involved, and particulars of sale would include something like 'tiled bathroom with WC, basin and power shower' so the buyer knows these things are included. You do not have particulars of sale, so you have to negotiate them. Based on the fact the LL mentioned the shower, assume nothing is included in the sale. Go round the house this evening making an exhaustive list, eg bedroom carpet, fitted wardrobe, light fitting, curtains, curtain pole and negotiate from there.

Aye I have been doing that , and comparing it to what was on the lease. The thing is they want to cut out the Estate Agent, so they don't have to have pay the fees . They want a quick sale . Thank you for your helpful comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Archaeoliz

I am not 100% of what the situation is with Irish law, but when buying in the UK a way of legally getting around stamp duty, CGT etc and getting more for your property is to include 'fixtures and fittings' as a separate transaction.

Over there you need to provide an itemised list of those items and preferably receipts for them to prove the cost you are offsetting. We looking into doing this when a house we were interested in buying went over one of the stamp duty thresholds. Luckily it was my mother-in-law doing the conveyancing so she was able to explain exactly what was and wasn't allowed. Don't trust the EA or the LL, take legal advice from the solicitor who's going to do your conveyancing.

Indications - personally I think it's a little early to tell but CSO data just released is following the same pattern as the beginning of the last property price crash (i.e. flatlining and/or very very small fluctuations). Question to me is whether it will fall or simply remain static, however we also want to buy at the moment. We'll just have to take our chances too. Our rent is double what our mortgage payments will be.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexjune2015/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Folks please use the report post button and don't feed the trolls. Doing so is in breach of the forum charter

Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

OP make sure you're looking around in the local area as well. You might not be seeing the woods for the trees.

Funnily enough the LL gets 8 years worth of deduction for furniture so 5K is taking the mick a bit IMO but then as someone very correctly stated it's up to the parties to agree on prices.

Frankly the seller will probably take advantage of your attachment; c'est la vie. The attachment will have a value that you'll end up paying or not. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OP vendors looking for extra money for fittings or furniture is often a way of hiding money from the bank or of selling a property in a certain tax bracket while actually being paid more. Tread carefully

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

highly unlikely Seller will go to the trouble of pulling the shower out so tell them you have no interest in paying for it.

Advertisement