Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unregistered property

Options
  • 29-07-2015 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, hopefully someone can help me out here. My wife and I have just recently had a bid accepted on a house we would like to buy. It is currently being rented out and the current owner has mortgage on the property. after briefly searching the land registry, our solicitor discovered that the property is unregistered and he said details of its title and ownership will be contained in the registry of deeds. He then informed me that the sale could be a complicated and protracted affair depending on how cooperative the vendors solicitor will be when it comes to resolving whatever issues arise after inspecting maps, deeds, titles etc...

Just wondering if these potential issues he is talking about are usually easily resolved given enough time, or is likely we might encounter something which makes closing the sale impossible?

I know it is hard to give definitive answers but I would be interested in hearing people's experiences when it came to buying unregistered property and if successful, how long it took to close such sales?

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Quandary wrote: »
    Hey folks, hopefully someone can help me out here. My wife and I have just recently had a bid accepted on a house we would like to buy. It is currently being rented out and the current owner has mortgage on the property. after briefly searching the land registry, our solicitor discovered that the property is unregistered and he said details of its title and ownership will be contained in the registry of deeds. He then informed me that the sale could be a complicated and protracted affair depending on how cooperative the vendors solicitor will be when it comes to resolving whatever issues arise after inspecting maps, deeds, titles etc...

Just wondering if these potential issues he is talking about are usually easily resolved given enough time, or is likely we might encounter something which makes closing the sale impossible?

I know it is hard to give definitive answers but I would be interested in hearing people's experiences when it came to buying unregistered property and if successful, how long it took to close such sales?

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Its quite common but I'd assume the last owner has the property a fair while as registration is compulsory for a number of years now.
    It should not be a major issue but I've seen alot of hassle where such properties are within towns as disputes over old boundaries can arise.
    There will have to be a map produced to land registry standard of the property being sold. This will need to be done by the vendors engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Quandary

mickdw wrote: »
    Its quite common but I'd assume the last owner has the property a fair while as registration is compulsory for a number of years now.
    It should not be a major issue but I've seen alot of hassle where such properties are within towns as disputes over old boundaries can arise.
    There will have to be a map produced to land registry standard of the property being sold. This will need to be done by the vendors engineer.

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately the house in question is right in the middle of a small town. I'm thinking this is why our solicitor is preparing us early that there could well be complications. we know our solicitor isn't out to milk us dry because he's a very good friend.

We are in no hurry and don't really mind how long it takes to close as long as we get there in the end. I'm just hoping we don't encounter some issue which prevents us from getting the sale closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You could ask your solicitor to get the vendors to register it before the sale.

Advertisement