Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger Precision Rifle

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Thinking of buying one of these in the coming weeks. Without getting into it too much, does the folding stock take it into the restricted category?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Cass wrote: »
    These two point from the above posts explain why i think it's relevant.

It's not down to stupidity, its availability. Picture this:
    1. Manufacturer : €1,400
    2. Dealer A : $1000
    3. Dealer B : $1900

These are yuor three options to buy one from the states. Here is the dilemma.
    1. Manufacturer : Will ship to Ireland/outside CONUS
    2. Dealer A : Won't ship to Ireland/outside CONUS
    3. Dealer B : Will ship to Ireland/outside CONUS

So the cheaper dealer won't ship. However say you find one that is willing to ship. What if the Irish dealer is not buying from him? What if the Irish dealer is buying direct from the manufacturer or worse again the expensive dealer.

Been in this position myself the last couple of weeks. not for a firearm just a small accessory. I can find it way cheaper in the states, but no one will ship to Ireland. The one that will ship is a little more expensive, but when you factor in their massive shipping, the taxes and duties it's more expensive than ordering from the European dealer which was far more expensive than the supplier in the states.

My point being just because someone, somewhere sells the rifle much cheaper does not mean that is the price they are buying it for or the person they are buying from. So for that reason you must consider all prices, not just the cheapest.

Sorry forgot to reply to this. While what you say above is correct, when Joe public tries to purchase firearms or parts from the states, it's a different matter when it's the Licenced importer and the Irish dealers doing it. They don't have to contend with the above.
    Bad_alibi wrote: »
    While
    Im well aware they don't ship out of the CONUS and it wasn't the point I was making. I stated that dealers in the US are possibly purchasing direct from ruger for below $900 if their able to sell for $1000 retail.
    I'm talking about dealer imports and you keep referring back to a member of the public purchasing from a dealer in the US which is not the same thing at all.

amadablam wrote: »
    Thinking of buying one of these in the coming weeks. Without getting into it too much, does the folding stock take it into the restricted category?

No it's unrestricted.

Was taking to two dealers during the week who are out of stock and both said there's an order of them due in the end of this month. What caliber are you thinking of getting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm too tired to read back to start up the debate again so i'll leave it at this.

The prices in the states cannot be directly changed into Euros and used as a comparison. Irish dealers don't buy directly from the states. They get it from Europe and mostly the UK. Perhaps years ago they did, but with the down turn over the last 8 years not anymore.

I've said in a couple of thread before how a rifle i was looking at was sold by the manufacturer for $450 and by some dealers for $395. However the cheapest price i could find here was €850.

SO if some dealers in the US are selling cheaper than the RRP then bully for them. However one, two, five individual dealers selling cheaper, when there are as many selling for RRP and some selling for far more does not mean it can be gotten cheaper here.

The cheapest i've seen it advertised, and only advertised as the dealer says to order one, was for €1,675. That is $1870 and far more than the $1400 (or whatever it is) price tag the manufacturer has on it.

So if one dealer is charging more than the other then it's up to the buyer to see where is the price, best service and then buy from there. This happens all the time. I've seen CZ 455 (hmr) rifles for sale from €525 up to €650. Same rifle, same design, etc. So either a dealer is trying to make more or have more overheads so needs to charge more. Same with the Ruger.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

No it's unrestricted.

Was taking to two dealers during the week who are out of stock and both said there's an order of them due in the end of this month. What caliber are you thinking of getting

That's what I thought myself but someone put doubt in my mind about the folding stock making it restricted.

I'll either buy it in 308 or 243 depending on what caliber I decide to sell or trade

• Advertisement

Having shouldered both the .243 is noticeable heavier than the .308 due to the longer barrel.

Having shouldered both the .243 is noticeable heavier than the .308 due to the longer barrel.

I was originally going to change the 6.5x55 for this rifle in 243 but think it might not be as good a caliber for deer as the 6.5, I've had most of them.

Has anyone shot one in 308? It's been almost a year since I had a 308 but I would like to hear how the chassis/stock handles recoil in 308

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

EWQuinn wrote: »
    What he meant to say was: "What other Ruger rifle can be counted on to shoot half-MOA five-shot groups?"

In my experience no Ruger factory rifle can be "counted on" to shoot sub MOA groups unless you're lucky. The one tested in American Rifleman shot sub MOA groups, not 1/2 MOA groups. This might be a landmark achievement for Ruger, yipee.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/7/17/ruger-precision-rifle/

at 100 yards my 10/22 (The receiver is a ruger) ;-) on a bench with the correct ammo. No Problem. I am not alone in being able to achieve this. It seems to be how most people test their firearms these days

I have fired one of these Ruger Precisions and they are nice, but any half decent rifle and scope should be able to get 3 - 5 rds touching at 100 yards.

Does 3 rds touching at 50m count :-) with the Ruger Precision .308

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not long in the door from Atlantic in Carlow. Had to stock up on a few calibers of ammo (including 9mm at a great price if anyone is looking for some).

Anyway the Ruger precisions are all gone. Last two went out the door last week. So never got to hold one, but they tell me they are getting more in, just waiting on confirmation.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement