Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDH dumbbell Handles versus Olympic Dumbbell Handles

• 29-07-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭

I want to add Dumbbell work to my training.

Is it better to build a dumbbell set using SDH Handles with 5kg standard plates or use Olympic Handles and plates.

What are the pros and cons of each.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I have the oly type dumbbells.

Pros:
    Takes up less space.
    Costs less as you don't need as many plates

Cons:
    Unwieldy compared to the SDH type dumbbells. Particularly annoying for exercises like the dumbbell shoulder press, palms out, where they meet at the top of the lift, and you can't bring them as close together

Have to constantly load and unload them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

Thanks for reply.

I've calcd that to make a set of SDH dumbbells from 5-60lb in 5lb jumps u need 12 pairs of handles, 60x10lb plates, 12x7.5lb plates, 12x5lb plates and 12x2.5lb plates. This would work out very expensive.

I want to get a quote of how much this would cost. Wheres the best place to buy the SDH handles and the plates for them.

Assuming it's too expensive to build a set would standard adjustable Dumbbell Handles with spinlocks be a better option than the Oly Dumbbell Handles.

If so which type/brand would you recommend.

Thanks

I forgot to ask if the SDH Handles spin and if they allow some slop between the plates.

Mark Rippetoe says this is a necessity in this video on dumbbells. He mentions this from the 3min mark. My app is not allowing the link to be posted so type in the below into your address bar without spaces.

HTTPS : // youtu.be/ V7pVtXPYtGM

Where can i get pancake plates in Ireland.
    If these are not available in Ireland can someone recommend a good brand of 10lb cast iron plate that takes up little room on a Dumbbell handle.

What plates and handles do people here use for their Dumbbell work.

Thanks

For anyone interested in Pro Style SDH handles I found that Bodysolid in the UK sell them. My app isn't allowing me post links so just type the URL below without spaces.

http :// www. bodysolid.co.uk /SDH-Handles__p-807.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement