Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a tattoo apprenticeship??

Options
  • 29-07-2015 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey I would like to know does anyone have any tips on getting a tattoo apprenticeship in Dublin I'd love to learn how to and I've been asking around for years but still no takers, I have no prob working for free, cleaning the shop, setting up the station, braking it down, manning the desk helping with social media and marketing and being there everyday the place is open.

Thanks for any advice you's can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Source some pigs skin, practise on it, and show pictures of your art as part of a portfolio?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AaronToal1987

I heard its pretty hard to tattoo without being shown it's not the same as just drawing is it?

I heard its pretty hard to tattoo without being shown it's not the same as just drawing is it?
    I actually have no idea. But for any other apprenticeship, you need to show you understand the basics going in.

That does make sense but I've been working on my drawing and filling up a few books with art work of different tattoo styles

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd say the opposite, don't get any practice skins or equipment till you're in an apprenticeship. Otherwise it's just going to be harder for anyone to teach you properly, as you'll probably already have developed bad habits.

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    I'd say the opposite, don't get any practice skins or equipment till you're in an apprenticeship.
    Hrm. Perhaps he should ask those that he seeks an apprenticeship with?

Also, does one need tattoos to become a tattooist? By this, I mean would it go against you if you had no ink, or would it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I'd say the opposite, don't get any practice skins or equipment till you're in an apprenticeship. Otherwise it's just going to be harder for anyone to teach you properly, as you'll probably already have developed bad habits.

This. Nobody will touch you if you have been using machines without being shown how. You don't pick up a machine until you are well into your apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

the_syco wrote: »
    Also, does one need tattoos to become a tattooist? By this, I mean would it go against you if you had no ink, or would it matter?

Not particularly. Having tattoos shows an appreciation of them and shows a personal interest and most likely knowledge of what's involved. But someone could be an amazing artist and turn out wonderful tattoos without ever going under the needle. But the chance of that is slim, as it's unlikely that someone will be interested enough to become a tattoo artist without getting some themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Not particularly. Having tattoos shows an appreciation of them and shows a personal interest and most likely knowledge of what's involved. But someone could be an amazing artist and turn out wonderful tattoos without ever going under the needle. But the chance of that is slim, as it's unlikely that someone will be interested enough to become a tattoo artist without getting some themselves.

The best fight trainers in the world are former fighters, not even decent ones but they know what it takes, know whats involved i see tattooing as the same

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mike lydon

The best fight trainers in the world are former fighters, not even decent ones but they know what it takes, know whats involved i see tattooing as the same
    Could you not ask your local tattooists to take you on to teach you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

mike lydon wrote: »
    Could you not ask your local tattooists to take you on to teach you

.....what?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mike lydon

.....what?
    Sorry wasn't ment for you

Thanks for all the info I was thinking of doing like 2 to 3 pages of just tracing flash work (as I've seen this is what a lot of tattoo apprentices are made do) maybe a page or 2 of free hand drawings and some water colours (as I've heard it helps with colouring tattoos) so I should have about 100+ pages of work to show artists in the future do you's think that would help?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

I think if you're really serious about this you should have a really thorough google about what accomplished artists want to see in their prospective apprentice's portfolios. Maybe try and find some forums online where artists actively post about this. I'd say this question has been asked online many times. I don't know if you know any artists who have taken on apprentices before, but if you do it'd be worth asking them personally what should be going in a portfolio. It doesn't need to be excessively long, just keep rotating in your best work as it improves and your drawing gets better. I know a couple of people who have gotten apprenticeships in the last couple of years and their work in the portfolio wasn't even that diverse stylistically, they really just filled it with what they were good at at the time.

I also recommend you don't buy a machine or include any photos of fake skin tattoos in your portfolio.

Advertisement