Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student digs - what is required?

• 29-07-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

So we're giving serious consideration to doing student digs. Can anyone who has done this or knows anything about it, let me know what are the standard requirements? Also good or bad experiences would be useful.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my mother did it for a few years and my next door neighbour does.

It depends on what you want to do.My mother provided breakfast and dinner and they had double rooms.
    My next door neighbour provides the rooms but they cook for themselves and they have a room each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Moonbeam wrote: »
    my mother did it for a few years and my next door neighbour does.

It depends on what you want to do.My mother provided breakfast and dinner and they had double rooms.
    My next door neighbour provides the rooms but they cook for themselves and they have a room each.

Thanks moonbeam. We'd either take one student in their own room with study space or two students in single beds in the same room with no study space. Room is ensuite. I'd let them eat their own breakfast in our kitchen and i'd do dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

yellow hen wrote: »
    Thanks moonbeam. We'd either take one student in their own room with study space or two students in single beds in the same room with no study space. Room is ensuite. I'd let them eat their own breakfast in our kitchen and i'd do dinner.

Which is better for you? I don't think study space is an issue really, as college libraries open late. I would imagine a double let would result in a high turnover, it might do for the first few months of college, but the students would move on. A single let might be better, more sustainable and less disruptive to family life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I didn't think study space would be an issue either. That's interesting that you think they might move on. The only reason I think two students is because it's as easy to take two as one and the income is too attractive. I would like the student(s) to enjoy staying with us though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Our neighbour gets 2 friends and they stay the year.

None of my mothers students ever left mid year.The rooms were huge so they had a bed and desk each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I caution I have no direct experience yellowhen, just thinking what I would want for my own kids.
    Welcoming home, option of evening meal, good transport links or walking/cycling distance and wifi! Maybe contact the local college to see if they have requirements in order to list you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Treat them like your own children.

Good few options for breakfast 3/4 choice of cerael, tea/coffee/toast, fruit and some crackers. Healthy food for dinner with dessert or fruit afterwards. Eat with the family when possible or leave dinner for them if they are out.

Having wifi, access to a printer would be great. Own bathroom prefect. Change linen once a week. Be there for them if they have any problems or unwell.

During final exam time, just remember how stressful it can be.

Have never taken Irish students during the year but have taken foreign students during the summer, treat them with respect and look after them as you would your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How lovely, it's great that you'd all take such great care/consideration. :-)

Advertisement