Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sapphire r9 280 and multiple montiors

Options
  • 29-07-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Can this card support more than 2 monitors. I'll be getting the card soon and I'm planning on getting a 3rd monitor to replace my old 19inch lcd but I'd like to use it if possible. If not ill keep it as a spare. My main monitor is a 22inch vga and the 19 inch lcd is dvi and vga. The new one I plan on getting has vga and hdmi. The hdmi will be used for video as the monitor does not have speakers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

dmcm_90 wrote: »
    Can this card support more than 2 monitors. I'll be getting the card soon and I'm planning on getting a 3rd monitor to replace my old 19inch lcd but I'd like to use it if possible. If not ill keep it as a spare. My main monitor is a 22inch vga and the 19 inch lcd is dvi and vga. The new one I plan on getting has vga and hdmi

I believe on AMD cards you will have to have an ACTIVE miniDP adaptor to make more than 2 monitors work. This was the case for me when I had a 7850 and when I was asking around regarding multiple monitors for an r9 290(back when I was thinking of upgrading to either gtx970 or r9 290). So you would have to get either an ACTIVE MiniDP to DVI or ACTIVE MiniDP to VGA adaptor. Of the two, I would highly suggest using DVI.

I just found this being sold on adverts so please do not take my word that it will work. Confirm with the seller first if it suits your needs. http://www.adverts.ie/dvi-cables/delock-adapter-mini-displayport-1-2-male-dvi-female-4k-active-black/7959285

He also has a white one for 1cent more :P

Just saw your edit. Your setup looks like it will work.

GPU -> DVI-VGA adaptor -> 22inch Main monitor
    GPU -> ACTIVE MiniDP-DVI adaptor -> 19inch second monitor
    GPU -> HDMI Cable -> new HDMI monitor

Also realised I'm not so sure if you would get mini displayport or full size displayport. Either way, adaptor would still have to be active.

If full size displayport:
    http://www.adverts.ie/dvi-cables/delock-adapter-displayport-1-2-male-dvi-female-4k-active-black/7958282

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They used to require an active adaptor for the third screen but the R7/R9 series support three monitors natively.

edit: But people often have trouble getting them to work it seems. Apparently two of the three monitors need to be the same same (which to be fair would be very common in eyefinity setups), so maybe an active adaptor will be required in your case.

Advertisement