Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comics - Where to begin (again)

• 29-07-2015 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Hi just looking for help / suggestions on where I'd begin if I wanted to get in reading comics regularly again.

Used to have them sent over from the U.S. when I was a kid, showing my age but it was the early - mid 80s. I still have them in pristine condition so it's all X Men from the Claremont & Byrne era, then I followed Byrne to the Fantastic Four & Alpha Flight. I have Daredevil from Frank Miller's time and a lot of Avengers, Spiderman from 1982 - 85. Definitely a Marvel man but I have some John Byrne Superman.

I'd love to pick up but have no idea what's good and at 40 I'm a bit 'Dad at the disco' when I go in to Forbidden Planet etc.

Advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Rosser wrote: »
    Hi just looking for help / suggestions on where I'd begin if I wanted to get in reading comics regularly again.

Used to have them sent over from the U.S. when I was a kid, showing my age but it was the early - mid 80s. I still have them in pristine condition so it's all X Men from the Claremont & Byrne era, then I followed Byrne to the Fantastic Four & Alpha Flight. I have Daredevil from Frank Miller's time and a lot of Avengers, Spiderman from 1982 - 85. Definitely a Marvel man but I have some John Byrne Superman.

I'd love to pick up but have no idea what's good and at 40 I'm a bit 'Dad at the disco' when I go in to Forbidden Planet etc.

Advice please?

Give the lads at The Big Bang a visit. Great new store and excellent staff to help ease you back in. Check out the thread below for the new look.

If you are a Marvel fan. Their Marvel unlimited app has a few decades worth of stuff on it. At only a tenner a month it's well worth a look. I've played catch up with a lot of series I'd stopped reading.

There's also a Dublin comic appreciation club the first and second Mondays evenings in The Grand Social.
    Can't make links work from this iPad. But you can find links in the events thread pinned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

MarkHall wrote: »
    Give the lads at The Big Bang a visit. Great new store and excellent staff to help ease you back in. Check out the thread below for the new look.

If you are a Marvel fan. Their Marvel unlimited app has a few decades worth of stuff on it. At only a tenner a month it's well worth a look. I've played catch up with a lot of series I'd stopped reading.

Agree with all this. At 40, you wouldn't be nearly the oldest of their clientele.

Marvel Unlimited is particularly good on tablet.

If you're looking for specific recommendations, based on what you've said above, I reckon you'd enjoy Peter David's X-Factor. Mark Waid's run on Daredevil is a almost done and is gold from start to finish. Jason Aaron's Thor is one of my all time faves!

Love PAD X Factor. Shame it had to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Guys thanks a million, really helpful stuff. Let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement