Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane bypass: going to happen, or electioneering?

Options
  • 30-07-2015 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I see Enda Kenny was visiting Meath and the Meath Chronicle has an article on it today: Money 'not an issue' for bypass

"The Taoiseach assured members of the Forum that the Slane bypass is a priority for the government.Mr Kenny stressed the need to secure planning for the bypass and assured us that finance will not be an issue in returning the project to planning and in constructing a new road, should it receive approval,” said Ms Power.
    “We requested that the Slane Bypass be included in the government’s priority list of infrastructural projects. The Taoiseach advised that he will discuss the Slane bypass with the Minister for Transport, Paschal Donohoe, who we are expecting to meet in Slane towards the end of August. Mr Kenny gave us hope that we will see some progress on the long-awaited bypass of our village in the near future,” she said...."

What is the likelihood of planning being granted? Who is objecting to the new bypass? Hard to believe those big trucks are still going over that bridge. I remember, on more than one occasion, big trucks smashing through the stone wall and ending up in the Boyne.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Electioneering!

No matter which politician visits I]insert County here[/I money for I]insert project here[/I will not be an issue once they are elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Who would believe anything Enda Kenny says???

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

I'd say a Slane bypass would end up with a toll on it.
    People all use the N2 instead of M1 as it is to avoid a toll and sure they wouldn't want to be missing out on a chance to screw a few more € out of people.

The other thing is that a bypass would have to take a huge loop around the village because of all the historical sites to the east and the castle to the west of the village. The west side would be only option for a bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

They have been campaigning for years and years but haven't got anywhere sadly. Wonder will an extended M2 follow if a bypass were to be created? I can see plenty of uproar for either proposed route...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

I honestly don't think Slane needs a by pass. The hill is not actually that dangerous. Just alot of dangerous drivers. If there was a traffic cop there 24/7 then they would generate a nice few quid in fines. Create a couple of jobs and would make it safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Well sitting at the bottom if that hill I often spent a lot of time staring in rear view mirror viewing the lorry coming down the hill, foot on acceletor ready to blast off just in case it failed to slow!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Why don't they just build a new bridge over the river at an angle, continuing on straight after you come down the hill, or is there much of a traffic issue in the village itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Why don't they just build a new bridge over the river at an angle, continuing on straight after you come down the hill, or is there much of a traffic issue in the village itself?

Would probably be the simplest solution but there's all sorts of protected areas there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

bladespin wrote: »
    Would probably be the simplest solution but there's all sorts of protected areas there.

I often wondered why they couldn't build it diagonal myself, thinking the walkway beside the river must be protected.

Advertisement