Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time worker penalisation

Options
  • 30-07-2015 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I've been a 'temp' in a company for nearly 2 years - on a part-time basis of approximately 18 - 22 hours per week. I've been filling in a timesheet weekly and have been paid per hours worked.
    They are in the process of putting together an offer of a contract for 3 months initially.
    One of the main sticking points is that they want to pay me monthly. I'm hoping for fortnightly.
    I know from experience it is very difficult to budget / manage on a part-time wage if it is paid monthly, especially as I am the only adult earner in the household.
    I looked up CitizensInformation and got the information below on the penalisation of part-time employees. I would consider the change from being paid weekly to monthly to fall into the category of "An unfavourable change in the conditions of employment".

What do you think? Do you agree?

Penalisation: The following actions are considered to be penalisations of the employee:
    • The dismissal of the employee
    • An unfavourable change in the conditions of employment of the employee
    • Unfair treatment of the employee, including selection for redundancy
    • Any other action that is prejudicial to the part-time worker's employment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

I think you need to learn how to budget. Lots of people get paid monthly. Once you're being paid when your contract says you're to be paid then you're not being penalised!

Setup an account to get paid into, setup a standing order to transfer money each week into your current account from the new account, don't go near your new account for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,594 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps try MABS budgeting tool https://www.mabs.ie/budgeting-tool.

Another option would be to have your wages going in to one bank account and then have it transferring a fixed amount every 2 weeks in to another account that you would then spend money from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

No.

First month is an inconvenience, but you will get used to it.

You should appreciate the offer. If employees are being paid monthly, there is no way they change it just for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Leafy Green

I think you need to learn how to budget. Lots of people get paid monthly. Once you're being paid when your contract says you're to be paid then you're not being penalised!

Setup an account to get paid into, setup a standing order to transfer money each week into your current account from the new account, don't go near your new account for anything else.

No, I know how to budget. And do realise that lots of people get paid monthly, but the vast majority are full-time workers. Up to this I have not had a contract and have been paid on a weekly basis.
    Setting up bank accounts and standing orders as you suggest will actually incur charges for each transaction, but thanks for your input.

wonski wrote: »
    No.

First month is an inconvenience, but you will get used to it.

You should appreciate the offer. If employees are being paid monthly, there is no way they change it just for you.

I do appreciate the offer. It has been hard won and I work very hard and produce good results. There are other part-time employees who are paid fortnightly. I am not asking them to go out of their way just for me.

• Advertisement

Perhaps try MABS budgeting tool. Another option would be to have your wages going in to one bank account and then have it transferring a fixed amount every 2 weeks in to another account that you would then spend money from.

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to avoid bank charges where possible. 28 cent for every transaction - they add up and bill you quarterly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ask in the Work and Jobs forum then:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Spear wrote: »
    Ask in the Work and Jobs forum then:

Thanks Spear .... New to this....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to avoid bank charges where possible. 28 cent for every transaction - they add up and bill you quarterly.

So take out cash and use it.

Advertisement