Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SALT in North County Dublin

Options
  • 30-07-2015 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been directed to post here re a speech and language therapist in North County Dublin (Swords/Malahide): any recommendation for a private therapist please for a 20 month old who is a late talker (or non talker in our case!)?

We have called a few of the larger companies but they all seem driven to do a full assessment and we're wondering if its too early for this, given our toddlers age (20 months). Maybe he does need a full assessment so any advice and experiences would be welcome.

Hoping you can help - thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

ollie103 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been directed to post here re a speech and language therapist in North County Dublin (Swords/Malahide): any recommendation for a private therapist please for a 20 month old who is a late talker (or non talker in our case!)?

We have called a few of the larger companies but they all seem driven to do a full assessment and we're wondering if its too early for this, given our toddlers age (20 months). Maybe he does need a full assessment so any advice and experiences would be welcome.

Hoping you can help - thanks.

Well an SLT has to assess first or they don't know what difficulties the child has or doesn't have!
    Assessment can be informal through observation and play as well as direct assessment and parental questionnaires.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have you had a needs of assessment done ?
    I know of an SLT who sees people privately based in Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shaygirl58

if you go to your doctor and ask him to recommend an 'AON' -assessment of needs- from the HSE. An 'assessment of needs' consists of a psychological assessment by a clinical psychologist, an occupational therapy assessment and a speech and language assessment.This will give an overall idea of your child and his/her needs. Every child in Ireland is entitled to one of these ( if needs be).They are free, but will take at least 8 months to complete ( are supposed to be completed with 6-9 month period... but may take longer). Do this for the child before school going as if all the relevant information is there and all the reports , then you will be prepared for school and the Seno / school ( special education needs officer ) will have everything necessary to look after your child...I advise you to start at 3/4 yrs so everything will be ready for school going.

Advertisement