Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 month old not settling

• 30-07-2015 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Heya,

My 9 month old has changed from falling asleep after about 5 minutes of being left alone in her cot to taking over an hour and half to settle down to sleep with rocking, singing, hand holding and whatever else we can think of. I don't know whether its the fact that she's learned how to crawl and stand up and just cut through her first teeth but she's having a gas time laughing and chatting but just wont go down, if we leave the room she starts shouting for us.

So basically my question is is it just that so much has happened to her in the last few weeks that she's giddy with her new abilities and discomfort of teething or is there something I could be doing to help her settle better.

(she's had a very regular night time routine of bottle, bath, books and sleep since 3 months)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Joe's fanclub

I would imagine you're right, a lot of new abilities for her that she's excited about :) Is she laughing and chatting to herself in the cot? If she is - great! It's good for her to be happy in her little space, but in order for you to be able to leave the room you could try firstly standing near the cot and slowly moving away, she'll notice you're still there and you should gradually be able to leave the room - worked with mine ! Hope that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rockinmama

It does make sense, I'll try it tonight, thanks Joe's fanclub! She's fierce giddy in there, we did manage to leave her once and she eventually fell asleep after 2 hours on her face with her bum in the air, hilarious stuff! Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Joe's fanclub

Sounds good! Really good for her to learn how to be happy in her cot and get herself to sleep at this stage - best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mine does that, I leave her to it. I potter around upstairs, get clothes out for the next day, empty the bath, bit of tidying, folding clothes etc. I might stick the head in now and then, or say "shhh", if she gets very loud or shouty, but generally I let her fall asleep herself - and she ends up in exactly the same position as yours does, surrounded by bears and her blanket :) I usually shift her into a more comfy position once she's asleep.

I did try staying in the room holding her hand and rubbing her back briefly, but I stopped. I just pop her in, say goodnight and close the door so it's ajar and she can still hear me moving about outside. To be honest, I think she falls asleep quicker that way - when you stay in the room with them you're giving them something to look at and they're waiting for you to do something :) I always can't help thinking that if it was me trying to go to sleep, I wouldn't find it restful to have someone moving around in the room with me, so maybe they find it the same. Especially if she's been doing it by herself up til now. That's just her little process of falling asleep. Ours usually takes about 20 mins once she's in the cot, but it does always happen.

Good luck!

Thanks stoprockin (lol!) we'll see how that goes, the back is killing me from hanging over the side of the cot so if it's recommended by you lovely people then I'll do it! :D

• Advertisement

To be honest, a lot of the reason I stopped was the back pain. I just couldn't keep doing it!
    She does stand up a bit sometimes too, so I would just keep an eye and keep going in to lie her down.
    Eventually the exhaustion gets too much for her though - but there are nights where I still hear "mamamamamamama" and when I go in, she's upside down with her eyes closed, but still chatting :) Sounds like yours, she has some great conversations in there!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

My 10 month old is the same except she screams holy murder the minute you bring her into the room. Mind you she was sick last week. Have resorted to rocking her in the buggy and then transporting her into bed. You would be exhausted trying to get them to settle.

Ah sickness is the worst for messing up their routine, hopefully she'll start settling for you better too! I've tried to distract DD with teddys and tip toe out but she's wise to my game now...

Ya same with my clever little fox. She's copped on to all my Lil tricks now. Trying to cut out a nap today and see if that works. Not holding my breath tho haha

Ugh, naps are a pain too, she only seems to get a half hour these days with all her messing about! Hope you little one is knackered and knocks out for you tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

They say to make sure they have enough time to practice crawling and standing during the day so they arent mad to do it in the cot. Should tire her out too!

Success! 35 minutes of roaring crying, throwing her soother on the floor, me coming in quietly to lie her back down (and pick up the soother, untangle her from blankets etc) and legging it out again and she knocked out on her face! Heartbreaking listening to her though, felt like my insides were being pulled out with it all, I'm usually such a sap and run in for the cuddles when she's like that but your advice kept me strong! :) Thanks so much everyone!!

Great news, hopefully she will keep it up now, do you have her in her own room? . Had a successful night here too, she conked at 9 and slept till 4 (she always wakes for bottle) and then slept till 10 to 10. 😀 😀 super happy.

Well done!We, on the other hand, spent 90 mins listening to herself having the best craic ever in the cot last night.I should have said, if it goes past about 25-30 mins, I start going in every ten mins exactly, to reinsert soother/reorientate baby/untangle blankets and saying 'shh, sleep time' repeatedly.
    Fingers crossed tonight will go well for you and better for us :-)

So great to hear the babies are going down, thank god! Fair play guys! Mine's still roaring when I leave her but finally put her to bed last night and she stayed lying down crying rather than cruising around her cot chewing on the headboard and knocked out after 10 mins, blown away I am!

Advertisement