Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-EEA spouse thread

Options
  • 30-07-2015 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I thought it might be a good idea to get a thread going for those of us with non- EEA spouses.

I'm based in the Middle East with my wife who's from SE Asia. We've visited Ireland a few times together and have never had a problem with her being granted short-stay multiple entry visit visas, as provide all the correct information. A multiple entry visa for one's spouse is important, as you never know when an emergency (e.g. funeral etc) will happen in Ireland and you may need to go back at very short notice, and you don't want to have to leave your partner behind.

I'm curious - what is the maximum validity period for multiple entry visas you've managed to secure for your spouse?

And, for those who have repatriated to Ireland with your non-EEA spouse, what was the process like? Any problems, delays, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

I'm based in Europe, also married to a non-EEA spouse. In both Netherlands and Germany, my wife annual applies for a 1 year Irish visa and receives within 24 hrs, so it has not been an inconvenience at all. She has never requested a longer validity period, just renews it annually so she can travel anytime on short notice.

As for your question on repatriation, I may be in this situation in a few months and am confused by the INIS site. I would also be interested in understanding how this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Also non-EEA spouse here, wanted to check what type of visa others apply for when taking a short trip back to Ireland. Previously we lived in a country with an Irish embassy/visa office and were advised to apply for a Short Visit visa, which we did and received within a week. Currently live where there is no embassy and had to apply directly to INIS in Dublin, filled in the online form, sent all the paperwork which was received 8 weeks ago and have not heard anything since. There is no phone number that I can find to call and the website states their email address is not functioning! There seems to be a visa related to "freedom of movement" rather than a standard visit visa, has anyone applied for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Also non-EEA spouse here, wanted to check what type of visa others apply for when taking a short trip back to Ireland. Previously we lived in a country with an Irish embassy/visa office and were advised to apply for a Short Visit visa, which we did and received within a week. Currently live where there is no embassy and had to apply directly to INIS in Dublin, filled in the online form, sent all the paperwork which was received 8 weeks ago and have not heard anything since. There is no phone number that I can find to call and the website states their email address is not functioning! There seems to be a visa related to "freedom of movement" rather than a standard visit visa, has anyone applied for that?

We apply for a type c short stay multiple entry. The first one we got was valid for one year. The most recent is valid for two. It's free to apply for. We have a consulate nearby and it took 5 days to be processed.

Thanks, the first one we applied for the visa office stated that for the first 2 visas we could only apply for a single entry c short visit, which is what we did but it seems that's not true. This time I applied for a multiple c short visit through Dublin INIS, will actually be 9 weeks tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Thanks, the first one we applied for the visa office stated that for the first 2 visas we could only apply for a single entry c short visit, which is what we did but it seems that's not true. This time I applied for a multiple c short visit through Dublin INIS, will actually be 9 weeks tomorrow...

Sounds like something has gone wrong. That seems an inordinate amount of time. I'd call the DFA front desk and ask to be directed to whoever is responsible. Usually every visa application can be tracked by an application number....do you have yours?

• Advertisement

Something indeed...just got a reply from INIS (surprise surprise) stating the application was received September 15th, my DHL shows it being signed for on August 7th.

They also state that applicants can expect a decision in 4 to 5 weeks and that they are currently processing applications received the week of August 7th...contradicting themselves as August 7th was over 8 weeks ago so the decision time is at least 8 weeks...

Bigger surprises or not...after supplying DHL tracking details the application has has suddenly been found to be approved and the passport can be picked up next Monday, all great except not too convenient if I'm expected to fly back from Asia to collect it...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Bigger surprises or not...after supplying DHL tracking details the application has has suddenly been found to be approved and the passport can be picked up next Monday, all great except not too convenient if I'm expected to fly back from Asia to collect it...
    I think there is a lot of copy and paste going on there. And they are very busy there too.
    A long term D visa for ireland is a long wait, and drawn out. For me it was 6 months. Might be even longer now with all the migrant/refugee issues in europe.
    Then you will still need visas to travel to other eu countries.

Might be best if possible to relocate/apply for non-eu partner joining eu spouse in another eu country than ireland. Might be easier, faster, and no need for future visas to visit other EU countries?

Advertisement