Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS with Dublin City Council

Options
  • 30-07-2015 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭

Hi has anyone let their property long term to any of the county councils, I don't see any recent threads, if any of you have, how are you finding it?

My longterm partner has a one bedroom apartment which he is not in a position to sell, he has been offered a 10 year lease with DCC, it will just about pay the mortgage, the pros are rent is guaranteed for 10 years, we don't have any dealings with the tenants its all DCC, rent review in 2 years time, they cover repairs maintenance etc, the income is obviously taxable, there is no major pros regarding income only that the mortgage will be paid, anyone else in this situation?

We are both working and don't want to go down the route of letting it out ourselves or involving a letting agency in general we are just looking for a hassle free way to rent it out,

again have any of you let to the county councils and how are you finding it, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

SarahLil wrote: »
    Hi has anyone let their property long term to any of the county councils, I don't see any recent threads, if any of you have, how are you finding it?

My longterm partner has a one bedroom apartment which he is not in a position to sell, he has been offered a 10 year lease with DCC, it will just about pay the mortgage, the pros are rent is guaranteed for 10 years, we don't have any dealings with the tenants its all DCC, rent review in 2 years time, they cover repairs maintenance etc, the income is obviously taxable, there is no major pros regarding income only that the mortgage will be paid, anyone else in this situation?

We are both working and don't want to go down the route of letting it out ourselves or involving a letting agency in general we are just looking for a hassle free way to rent it out,

again have any of you let to the county councils and how are you finding it, thanks
    That sounds like a good deal, normally the landlord is responsible for all repairs and maintenance and is treated as a private letting which the council "facilitate" by sorting out the rent payments. Normally if the tenant stops paying their part of rent the council informas the LL who must then proceed with notice of arrears and eviction notices etc.

they must have changed the way they do the RAS to get more landlords to accept it but I would be mindful that DCC maintenance and repairs while a very high quality might not be what the landlord would do and such an arrangement mioght give the council far too much control especially over who they place in the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭doctorwho-fan

Hi, have just entered the RAS scheme with the corporation. Estate agents are a nightmare and have treated me badly and have said i have to pay 3 months as didn't give any notice.

I had to have the house inspected by corpo and had to get a few things done, cost near 600 euro, but worth it. everything gone smoothly so far. will let you know. the 10 year lease thing seems good to, but i couldn't go for that as i have a tenant in the house already who is staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That sounds like a good deal, normally the landlord is responsible for all repairs and maintenance and is treated as a private letting which the council "facilitate" by sorting out the rent payments. Normally if the tenant stops paying their part of rent the council informas the LL who must then proceed with notice of arrears and eviction notices etc.

they must have changed the way they do the RAS to get more landlords to accept it but I would be mindful that DCC maintenance and repairs while a very high quality might not be what the landlord would do and such an arrangement mioght give the council far too much control especially over who they place in the apartment.

thanks Foggy_Lad all the county councils had a number of open events where landlords could attend, I think they had to be seen to be doing something due to the shortfall in properties, we would get more rent if we were to deal with the tenant but because we don't want to we got offered a lesser figure, we have in writing antisocial behaviour etc wont be accepted, we have a number of things in writing and off course both parties need solicitors too

we had two inspections from DCC they were very happy with the apartment, its all quite minimal, newly painted, semi solid floor, they took photographs, which we will too take photos should we go ahead with it, one of my concerns is someone ripping out the kitchen leaving it with nothing and DCC trying to back out and say well that's general wear and tear

Hi, have just entered the RAS scheme with the corporation. Estate agents are a nightmare and have treated me badly and have said i have to pay 3 months as didn't give any notice.

I had to have the house inspected by corpo and had to get a few things done, cost near 600 euro, but worth it. everything gone smoothly so far. will let you know. the 10 year lease thing seems good to, but i couldn't go for that as i have a tenant in the house already who is staying.

thanks doctorwho-fan, from what I have read on some old threads people were happy to hand the key over and not look back, I hope your letting goes well for you,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

SarahLil wrote: »
    thanks Foggy_Lad all the county councils had a number of open events where landlords could attend, I think they had to be seen to be doing something due to the shortfall in properties, we would get more rent if we were to deal with the tenant but because we don't want to we got offered a lesser figure, we have in writing antisocial behaviour etc wont be accepted, we have a number of things in writing and off course both parties need solicitors too

we had two inspections from DCC they were very happy with the apartment, its all quite minimal, newly painted, semi solid floor, they took photographs, which we will too take photos should we go ahead with it, one of my concerns is someone ripping out the kitchen leaving it with nothing and DCC trying to back out and say well that's general wear and tear
    Sounds like they are much better set up with the scheme than the original leases. It is good that they now cater for Landlords who want to just hand over the keys to an "agent" and let them do all the work.

Normally if there is damage DCC will be obliged to remedy like with like but hopefully the calibre of tenant will not be interested in "ripping out" kitchens or other built in furniture or features.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Sounds like they are much better set up with the scheme than the original leases. It is good that they now cater for Landlords who want to just hand over the keys to an "agent" and let them do all the work.

Normally if there is damage DCC will be obliged to remedy like with like but hopefully the calibre of tenant will not be interested in "ripping out" kitchens or other built in furniture or features.

Yes it would be ideal for an older person that is living in a big house/apt from DCC that their family has left the nest, that their home could go to use housing a family that needs it, I have seen it on TV loads of times of people wanting to be rehoused by the county councils because their families have left home, its a ground floor, and there is only 10 other apartments in the block, bus is one minute away, local shops and shopping centre near by it would be snapped up privately but we just haven't the time or don't like the idea of having to deal with it ourselves, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

"Deposits and Damage to Property

No deposits will be paid. However, where damage is caused to property, which is above routine wear and tear, we may guarantee the equivalent of up to one month’s rent towards the cost of repair/replacement. The details of this will be the subject of negotiation"

From the DCC website

Advertisement