Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health insurance: Any benefit to being on a Family Policy

Options
  • 30-07-2015 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Just submitted my cliams to Laya for myself and my wife.
    If we had individual policies the excess would be 50 quid each but as we were down as a family, excess was a family excess which is 150, meaning we got back less in our claim.

Is there any downside to having two individual insurance policies as there does not seem to be an upside.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I found that when it was just my husband and myself, it worked out better to have two separate policies for exactly this reason. Now that we have a child it makes more sense to have a family policy because the policy excess is €250 per year split between 3, but on our own the excess would have been €150 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,581 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The only downside I can see is perhaps additional bank charges in that you would have double the DD payments if you pay it monthly, probably looking at less than €10 of a difference over a year if you had 2 instead of 1 policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I go for corporate policies with a 1€ excess.
    Currently on the precision total 150 with lays.

Check out hia.ie for comparisons

Advertisement