Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grand Tour [Amazon]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Will people in Ireland be able to view his show on Amazon Prime?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Well, I have seen Narcos, Mr Robot and a few other Amazon Prime series.
    And i am in Ireland.

Lets say i am pretty confident i will see them 1 way oor the other...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The more I think about the Grand Tour name, the more I like it. It's a twist on the historical Grand Tour: these are not young men any more, and their progress may involve even more smoke, but as you get older you don't necessarily want to be in "top gear" all the time. Jeremy in particular knows his history. I think it will be a good thing if the name shapes the tone of the series.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

bnt wrote: »
    Jeremy in particular knows his history.
    For someone often dismissed as racist, he also knows and enjoys his travel.

I agree with Myrddin in a way - a series of specials would be interesting. But how do you fit the audience participation into that? (And we know it'll still be studio-based to an extent)

Will it be lots of stuff like the excellent Japan race, for example? The news segment always broke the show nicely, and was good for a bit of craic - but didn't the Australia special have just the one break in it to go back to studio? I thought that didn't really work - you need the balance of films and studio. But then time in the studio takes away from the specials and means you can't really draw out enough of a story, I would have thought.

But time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The Grand Tour is going to be like a series of TG specials essentially as far as I can see, with some "local colour" features probably before and after the main dish.
    Sounds like the US top gear. They just do "specials" there's no studio stuff at all. I've grown to like the US version. It's turned into it's own thing.
    cdeb wrote: »
    Few more details here - the first episode will have the Ferrari v McLaren v Porsche line-up they tried to get for Top Gear, but failed.

A decent coup to start off with.
    It's not a coup though. Chris Harris (new TG presenter) did a special on the 3 cars on his own youtube channel. Clarkson, Hammond and May were there on the day filming their special at the same time.

So technically it could be said that TG beat them to it. the thing is at this stage all the youtube car guys have done loads of videos on these cars. But it will be a nice sort of getting back to where they left off for the "grand tour".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

bnt wrote: »
    The more I think about the Grand Tour name, the more I like it. It's a twist on the historical Grand Tour: these are not young men any more, and their progress may involve even more smoke, but as you get older you don't necessarily want to be in "top gear" all the time. Jeremy in particular knows his history. I think it will be a good thing if the name shapes the tone of the series.

They might not be young men anymore but they still are cheeky piss takers :D

The Grand Tour

T.G.T.

Top Gear Two :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Venom wrote: »
    They might not be young men anymore but they still are cheeky piss takers :D

The Grand Tour

T.G.T.

Top Gear Two :cool:

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Amazon have a competition to win one of three pairs of tickets, travel & accomodation to the new shows first screening of The Grand Tour to be filmed in Johannesburg, South Africa which is being filmed on the 17th of July.

Entrants need to show via a video or photo via Twitter the most unusual place in where they set up a tent using the hashtag #TheGrandTourJoburg.

Irish residents can enter for this competition. T&C's for this prize are available in the below link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=10314456031&tag=bluraycom-21

Entries close @ 23:59 BST on the 8th of June 2016.

New logo is out for The Grand Tour. Looks very 80's IMO.

CJ4JX4FZVCC523YA2TMALSKFLFKCQVPPQGQ7AUD4EH5JE7LISMX26ZBRSPP7ETGYCMQ4C34WCOFJY

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/015557481

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Might be setting a tone of nostalgia.

• Advertisement

Looks like something Clarkson made himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd say it's probably a GT logo from a 70s/80s classic but a quick Google isn't throwing anything specific up.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd say it's probably a GT logo from a 70s/80s classic but a quick Google isn't throwing anything specific up.

I found the logo off a thread from a site named TV Forum which is from the UK if you knew where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Looks like it should be the banner for an 90's arcade racer.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Looks like it should be the banner for an 90's arcade racer.
    It's the "grand tour" bit in the middle that just rubs me the wrong way. It's just plonked there, the font is horrible, it's like a modern font and doesn't match with the rest of the image. It really does look like something thrown together in MS paint. Which wouldn't surprise me. God knows what the production values of this new show are going to be like without the BBC.

CmDnlxLWgAAjOt3.jpg:large

Their twitter account has been updated with the tweaked logo seen above.

https://twitter.com/thegrandtour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Wonder if we'll be able to get Amazon Prime in Ireland when this starts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

mike2084 wrote: »
    Wonder if we'll be able to get Amazon Prime in Ireland when this starts?

You won't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

You won't need it.

Explain?

• Advertisement

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Explain?

It'll be available through other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

It'll be available through other means.

I'm guessing you are referring to torrents. If that's the case, that's where most people will go as Amazon Prime isn't available in Ireland and I don't know if it's been announced that other channels will air the show

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you are referring to torrents. If that's the case, that's where most people will go as Amazon Prime isn't available in Ireland and I don't know if it's been announced that other channels will air the show
    Torrents, yup.
    Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May's much anticipated Prime show The Grand Tour will arrive exclusively on Amazon in the fall.

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=11909489011

Knowing Amazon it'll stay exclusive aswell, awful company.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

ScumLord wrote: »
    God knows what the production values of this new show are going to be like without the BBC.

You'd imagine the production quality should be damn high, considering the absolute insanity of a budget this show has been given.

Each episode supposedly has a budget of over £4 million, that's practically Game Of Thrones ballpark there.

As for the new logo, add something extra and you definitely get an 90's arcade racer :pac:
    XEPLC3h.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You'd imagine the production quality should be damn high, considering the absolute insanity of a budget this show has been given.

Each episode has supposedly has a budget of over £4 million, that's practically Game Of Thrones ballpark there.

Yep, the couple of Amazon series i have seen, Narcos, Bosch, dont look cheap at all. Things are not done onthe cheap there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Each episode supposedly has a budget of over £4 million, that's practically Game Of Thrones ballpark there.
    GoT season 1 was at 7 million an episode and as per season 6 is up to 10 million per episode; so not quite there yet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Nody wrote:
    GoT season 1 was at 7 million an episode and as per season 6 is up to 10 million per episode; so not quite there yet

That's nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That's nuts

But they have dragons. The Grand Tour doesn't.

Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Shannon757 wrote: »
    But they have dragons. The Grand Tour doesn't.

Yet.

The Grand Tour has dinosaurs instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Brian Scan wrote: »
    The Grand Tour has dinosaurs instead.

ah i think they ll do a good job. i aint warming to the new top gear at all but im not giving up on it yet

Advertisement