Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to offload tons of books

Options
  • 30-07-2015 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I can't get rid of tons of books tries, adverts, buy&sell and cant get them into town Oxfam, Irish Cancer no drivers, Alzheimers, Epilepsy Ireland no shops, Age Action were going to drive and collect and changed their mind last minute and wouldnt take them. Chapters are fussy and wont take anymore from me and the place in South William st wont take the authors. They are all crime, thriller and sci fi :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Usually if you offer them for free on Adverts etc, there are people out there who will come collect. I think they must sell them on somehow, but I've gotten rid of stacks of magazines, books etc this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

I tried Bookworms, Mojo's (ringing out) nursing homes just got in a big supply and libraries don't take them. There are some very good quality so dont want to give away 400 for free but I dont mind to charity or nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

How many books we talking here?

Couple of 100 maybe about 350 I rang one nursing home but they got in a load from a library 3 wks ago. Another nursing home will take some as they have a little library where you pay a donation of a euro so I will give them about 40 I dont want to overload them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Car boot sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Charity shop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some DEIS schools have JCSP funded libraries. Depending on the condition of them and them being appropriate for under 18s, they might take some.

List of schools with JCSP libraries

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Local public library?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Or ask for a stall at the local farmers market?

Library dont take them, some charity shops are overloaded with books and wont take some dont have drivers I think for now nursing homes a good option as patients love a good read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭NeutralHandle

There was a market stall in Temple Bar a few years ago that specialilsed in sci fi. I sold a good number of books to the owner at a fair price. This stall was what became of the second-hand book and comic shop that used to be in Dundrum. I don't know if the stall still operates now but certainly worth a look if you have a lot of sci fi books. He might be willing to collect the books from you so it might not matter if you can't bring them into town.

Chapters don't make reasonable offers; I think they count on people just abandoning books there for getting stock.

Yeah Chapters really fussy I understand dont want tons of duplicate authors but they wont take good quality hardbacks and only took about 10 off me at not a great price. One tiny dog ear on the page and it's scrapped!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Can you divide them up and give away in smaller collections instead of trying to find one place to take so many?

Some libraries have a 'free shelf' where you can drop off a few unwanted books and anyone can take it but you coud only do these a few at a time.

If you read a lot (and it sounds like you do!) would you consider doing book swaps? If you are trying to free up some space, this might not be the best solution. Was thinking of something like this: http://bookmooch.com/

Ahh just checked is it Joe Murray re Temple Bar book stall seemingly he is a brother of the guy in Mojo records that do books as well might check him out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Try st Marys hospital in the Phoenix park.

Oxfam on George's St are crying out for books at the moment. If you get in touch directly with them, I think they can organise a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Oxfam on George's St are crying out for books at the moment. If you get in touch directly with them, I think they can organise a lift.
    If they cant organise a lift I will transport them to them if you organise it considering it is for charity. I'm in Carlow but would be up in Dublin most weeks and would not mind doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Our Ladies Hospice out in Harolds Cross has a tiny library (one set of shelves in the TV room to be exact). I'm pretty sure they'd take a good few off your hands.

Our Lady's Hospice,
    Harold's Cross,
    Dublin 6W. T: (0)1 406 8700
    E: info@olh.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

If they cant organise a lift I will transport them to them if you organise it considering it is for charity. I'm in Carlow but would be up in Dublin most weeks and would not mind doing it.

Why can't you ring them to organise it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭NeutralHandle

miss choc wrote: »
    Ahh just checked is it Joe Murray re Temple Bar book stall seemingly he is a brother of the guy in Mojo records that do books as well might check him out
    Don't remember his name, sorry. I bought and sold a lot of things in his shop back in the day. Nice straightforward guy who always gave fair prices in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Roselm wrote: »
    Why can't you ring them to organise it yourself?

Ehhh because they are not my books, I have only offered a lift for them ... That ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

What about Freecycle, or Jumbletown.ie. I'd go with a boot sale if I were you. You'd get little enough for them but worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Ehhh because they are not my books, I have only offered a lift for them ... That ok?

Oh no, sorry! I thought you were the OP.

Advertisement