If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Set-up old Technics Turntable

Options
  • 30-07-2015 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,
    I hope that you can help me on this - I have an old Technics turntable (SL-bD2 model which is semi-automatic turntable, and I'm trying to connect it to my Technics system, specifically the amp (sA-eh600).

No success so far, can you tell me do I need a pre-amp for this set-up & if so, can you suggest a suitable model?
    Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

JohnGonne1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I hope that you can help me on this - I have an old Technics turntable (SL-bD2 model which is semi-automatic turntable, and I'm trying to connect it to my Technics system, specifically the amp (sA-eh600).

No success so far, can you tell me do I need a pre-amp for this set-up & if so, can you suggest a suitable model?
    Thanks
    Hi JohnGonne1.

As far as I can tell from the manual of the items you would require a pre-amp as neither seem to have it built in.

When you connect the turntable at the moment do you get any sound at all from your amp and speakers? Even without a pre-amp you should still get sound, you would just need to turn the volume all the way to hear it properly.

Do you have any other items connected to the amp? Sorry for the question, I just trying to make sure that the amp is actually working correctly before selling you something that may not fix the problem.

When it comes to pre-amps we have a few to select from:

Project Phono Box MM priced at 59.99 Euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201010-project-phonobox-mm-blk.aspx

Cambridge Audio 551p priced at 99.99 Euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-11547-azur-551p.aspx

Project Phono Box priced at 98.99 euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200574-project-phonobox-black-soc.aspx

We also stock the Rega MM2 coming in at 128.99 Euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://www.rega.co.uk/fono-mm.html

Let me know what you think.

Any questions drop me a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JohnGonne1

Thanks for the reply
    1) I can hear the record player when sound is turned fully up as you said
    2) amp is working, cd, tuner and twin deck are connected

Looks like I need a pre-amp alright, looking at the above what's the diff between MM and MC? Would it be better to have a power switch, rather than powered on constantly? also might be a good idea, to get a new needle head, any suggestions? Will probably need new phono cable and maybe some speaker cable.

Appreciate your help, if you can send on some suGgestions.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

JohnGonne1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply
    1) I can hear the record player when sound is turned fully up as you said
    2) amp is working, cd, tuner and twin deck are connected

Looks like I need a pre-amp alright, looking at the above what's the diff between MM and MC? Would it be better to have a power switch, rather than powered on constantly? also might be a good idea, to get a new needle head, any suggestions? Will probably need new phono cable and maybe some speaker cable.

Appreciate your help, if you can send on some suGgestions.
    Hi Johngonne1,

The difference in a MM or MC cartridge is basically how the cartridge regenerates the music from the vinyl. MM is moving magnet, which as name suggests the magnet vibrates to transfer the music. MC is moving coil, in which it is the coil which vibrates. Generally MM is more for entry to standard level systems, MC would be more for a higher end system
    Have a look here if you're interested, explains it better than I could :) http://www.zenn.com.sg/mc_or_mm_cartridges.htm

As far as power switch is concerned, I don't really see a need for a seperate switch, can be left powered when the system is in use, and if you want just power off at the mains when its not
    Cartridge wise, we don't tend to stock cartridges, but there are plenty of places online can supply them. i'm not sure of the cartridge/fitting on the arm of that turntable but if its the standard fitting, I'd look at the likes of AudioTechnica AT95e or something similar.

Cheers
    Brian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.