Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

the rest of the country join in "supporting" because its popular and the team is winning. alot of people have no interest in the game at all, just support the occasion.

but soccer has too much money and divers and yada yada yada :p

I'd rather watch the odd dive here and there than lads jumping on top of one another, pulling\pushing\gouging\grabbing\hitting one another while an egg is thrown sidewards\underneath a pile of human flesh or out of play to gain territory :)

........and I'm out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

who can we get the in the play offs if we dont get the result against poland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Really hope Randolph is in goal for Sunday. Has a good presence and made light work of his saves. Long has to start...we are not looking to hold on for a 0-0 with the hope of snatching something like against Germany - we have to have a go and give the Poles a game. A win takes us straight to France for goodness sake!

Poland are good, very good, but they are no Germany and with the safety net of the playoffs there we should have a go. I still expect the defend / counter attack tactic but hope we can keep the ball better and engineer some genuine attacking play. Nothing to fear in a way...we would have taken a playoff before the match last night.

Can't wait for Sunday.

ricero wrote: »
    who can we get the in the play offs if we dont get the result against poland ?

its still up in the air as the groups aren't finished.

Turkey, Albania, Sweden, Denmark, Croatia to name a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Think a big part of it is that most people have played soccer at some level including astro or in school so they can understand it better

That's exactly it.

Soccer is and has been far more popular in Ireland for decades.

No just for participation but just in general.

Far more people have some familiarity, regardless of how small, with soccer than they have with rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Given out and Newcastle keeper Rob Elliot called up in his place . Westwood now 5th in the pecking order .

Are Wilson, Coleman, McClean and Whelan all back for Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Nalz wrote: »
    Are Wilson, Coleman, McClean and Whelan all back for Sunday?

McClean and Whelan are but depends on the fitness of Wilson and Coleman but MON was hopeful before the Germany game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Please dont put Glenn Whelan back in the team... we did so well without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Please dont put Glenn Whelan back in the team... we did so well without him.

Whelan is world class!
    world class at pointing and chewing gum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Had a chat with Ray houghton before the game last night, he was very optimistic. One of the best nights in Irish soccer history. Was great to be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's really worth remembering that the players absolutely played above themselves last night. They defended with sometimes scant regard for their wellbeing. But it's not always like that. Ireland, we know, like to pump themselves up for the biggest games, and sometimes can put in heroic performances, like last night, but in other more ordinary games, some of these players are more likely to put in ordinary performances, so we have to look beyond the Germany game in terms of team selection to what is the best team overall. Probably every player on the field last night we've cursed the name of at least once.

Was it one great display, or is there now a consensus that Martin O' Neill's tactics are paying off / that the squad is finally gelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

bangkok wrote: »
    Had a chat with Ray houghton before the game last night, he was very optimistic. One of the best nights in Irish soccer history. Was great to be there

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Ray Houghton :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Still in disbelief about last night, what a result and what a performance. We actually looked pretty decent, defending quite well with some good blocks and tackles made, then when we did have possession we knocked it around well. I don't think the Germans liked getting pressed high up the pitch, a few of their defenders and Neuer at times looked uneasy under pressure. Hard to know what way we're going to line out on Sunday, we need to go for it though and with the playoff guaranteed I don't think we have anything to fear. I'd imagine Coleman will come into the team and hopefully Randolph keeps his place, Long surely deserves a start but I would be worried that the management see him as the ideal sub, he has been brilliant in that role for us this campaign, but he is our best striker so deserves to start realistically. Generally a fan of Whelan but I think any of our midfield from last night would feel hard done by if they were dropped, in a match where we need to go for the win too Whelan might not be the ideal man.

One of the best nights following football I've ever had, the lads can be extremely proud and there is a great atmosphere around the place today, all people are talking about is the match and the possibility of going to France next summer. There really is no other feeling like seeing your country do something like that, the entire nation getting behind the one team, if we do beat Poland on Sunday there will be a real excitement going into the euros next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

+1

It's a tough one, can't exactly put my finger on it but even when we won the 6 nations the buzz just wasn't the same... it was as if in certain quarters (I stress that as the hardcore ruggerboys will jump at me otherwise) were almost faking their excitement and exaggerated celebrations. Definitely a more relaxed celebratory vibe about it. It was almost as if it wasn't pc or family orientated enough to take your top off and shout things such as "fúck yes Long you fúcking beaut" "get the fúck in" about the rugby players\team.

I'm sure some did, and as much as I don't get the rugby buzz I hope the team does really well. Imagine the buzz if both teams win on Sunday!!

Shouldnt really be a were better fans than rugby conversation at all lads, I play rugby and follow both teams with equal passion, you clearly werent around when Jones missed the penalty to give us the grand slam, that easily matched the Germany game last night as did winning the six nations last year. Relaxed fans 100% no

hmmm dunno, while theres i am sure many people who live and breath Rugby like we do with soccer, theres 100s of 1000s of people in ireland with absolutely zero connection to the sport.

Rugby has more fair-weather supporters than any other sport in this country.

everybody has a local soccer team at some level, kids are playing it all over Ireland. Rugby really is only big in 2 or 3 areas and then the rest of the country join in "supporting" because its popular and the team is winning. alot of people have no interest in the game at all, just support the occasion.
    but soccer has too much money and divers and yada yada yada :p

I'd rather watch the odd dive here and there than lads jumping on top of one another, pulling\pushing\gouging\grabbing\hitting one another while an egg is thrown sidewards\underneath a pile of human flesh or out of play to gain territory :)

........and I'm out :D

Same could really be said about soccer being fair weather fans tbh, how much of the smaller games sold out for example. Plenty of my friends would follow sports but havent watched a single ireland qualifier.
    These sound kinda like childish remarks, taking a unneeded dig at another sport, which well i havent seen happen in the rugby forum regarding other sports. Honestly you wouldnt have to driver more than 20miles to find a local rugby team.
    If you dont get exited about Ireland winning a world cup QF, you really need to have a look at yourself

astonaidan wrote: »
    Shouldnt really be a were better fans than rugby conversation at all lads, I play rugby and follow both teams with equal passion, you clearly werent around when Jones missed the penalty to give us the grand slam, that easily matched the Germany game last night as did winning the six nations last year. Relaxed fans 100% no

Your kidding yourself if you think people got as excited about the grand slam as last night.

But you view is biased because you play rugby.

My father was never a big sports fan, never togged out in his adult life either.

But he rarely missed an Ireland soccer game on TV and always watched World Cups.
    An Ireland rugby game would pass him by.

They are the kind of people I am talking about, those that have a passing interest in sport will always have more relative interest in Irish international soccer than Irish international rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Still very much on cloud 9 after last night and in disbelief that we actually won and did so by playing well with the ball in the second half as well as defending superbly throughout the night.
    Will be interesting to see what the lineup looks like come Sunday. There is the valid point of why change a thing. But I would think our players would have had to put in a massive amount of work last night and then they have to get on a plane and travel to Poland. So maybe a few changes with Coleman and Whelan the most obvious ones to come back in and Randolph to start in goal after doing so well when he came on for Given.

Definitely agree there isn't as much of a buzz around the rugby team as there is when the soccer team do well. I'd imagine it's got to do with a few reasons really. Soccer is a more popular sport for one so simply more people are interested in it, soccer is also a true worldwide sport which puts the Irish team on an international stage, I'm sure all of Europe will have taken note of our result last night however the same cannot be said if we beat France in the world cup on Sunday, I'm sure people in countries such as Germany, Spain and Holland aren't paying as much attention to the rugby world cup.

Rugby seems to have a hell of a lot of casual fans too, obviously they have a large hardcore support too, but I know of so many people who enjoy watching rugby matches or heading down to the pub when Ireland are playing but they don't really follow the sport. It's also a decent point someone made earlier on that rugby nearly feels like too much of a family event for it to be celebrated like crazy, today on facebook I'm seeing videos of towns all over Ireland where there are crowds of people on the streets singing and chanting, but it doesn't seem to happen as much with rugby.

My father is also a very casual sports fan who would just pay attention to the big games in GAA and soccer, but he really has a dislike for rugby. I don't feel like it truly represents the Irish nation as a whole, whereas the soccer team does, but maybe I'm just being biased. Not trying to take away from the rugby teams success or anything but it definitely doesn't capture the imagination of the Irish public the same way the soccer team does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Big fan of long but he's the ideal sub, pace, energy, Murphy is not an impact player therefore if he doesn't start then he's redundant. It's a tricky one for O'Neill, Murphy isn't good enough imo, pity we don't have two Johnny Walters

I wonder if O'Neil with a fully fit team would play Walters up front. Brady needs to be playing in midfield (we need a competant LB too but thats another matter and imo not Brady) and I'd imagine if he was fit McGeady would be on the opposite wing. Long might then be an impact sub either replacing Walters or causing him to move to midfield when brought on a la last night.

not advocating this but I think it could fit the O'Neil mold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Definitely agree there isn't as much of a buzz around the rugby team as there is when the soccer team do well. I'd imagine it's got to do with a few reasons really. Soccer is a more popular sport for one so simply more people are interested in it, soccer is also a true worldwide sport which puts the Irish team on an international stage, I'm sure all of Europe will have taken note of our result last night however the same cannot be said if we beat France in the world cup on Sunday, I'm sure people in countries such as Germany, Spain and Holland aren't paying as much attention to the rugby world cup.

Rugby seems to have a hell of a lot of casual fans too, obviously they have a large hardcore support too, but I know of so many people who enjoy watching rugby matches or heading down to the pub when Ireland are playing but they don't really follow the sport. It's also a decent point someone made earlier on that rugby nearly feels like too much of a family event for it to be celebrated like crazy, today on facebook I'm seeing videos of towns all over Ireland where there are crowds of people on the streets singing and chanting, but it doesn't seem to happen as much with rugby.

My father is also a very casual sports fan who would just pay attention to the big games in GAA and soccer, but he really has a dislike for rugby. I don't feel like it truly represents the Irish nation as a whole, whereas the soccer team does, but maybe I'm just being biased. Not trying to take away from the rugby teams success or anything but it definitely doesn't capture the imagination of the Irish public the same way the soccer team does.

Maybe so but I think it's got a lot to do with expectations too. The Rugby team are a powerhouse on the global level and excluding the all blacks, It's not a major shock to beat any other team like it was with Germany last night. If Ireland meet and beat the all blacks in this RWC, imagine what the streets would be like, it would be insane.

Any other team and it's not really a surprise.

If Ireland meet and beat the all blacks in this RWC, imagine what the streets would be like, it would be insane.

Would it though? I don't think it would be for some reason. I think the media would love it and the hardcore rugby fan base would obviously be ecstatic but I don't think it would get the average joe as excited. I think in order for rugby to create that atmosphere we would need to win the world cup or at least get to the final.

Maybe so but I think it's got a lot to do with expectations too. The Rugby team are a powerhouse on the global level and excluding the all blacks, It's not a major shock to beat any other team like it was with Germany last night. If Ireland meet and beat the all blacks in this RWC, imagine what the streets would be like, it would be insane.

What you have described there is what I would call an Italia '90 moment, a spontaneous national outpouring of something or other, joy, pride, excitement etc.

Rugby will never have an Italia '90 moment. The sport is just too "marginal" for that too happen.

Admittedly we have changed as a nation in 25 years, we have become more cynical I think, but I still don't believe that a rugby success could generate a modern day Italia 90, whatever form that would take.

Edit : Only see now that the post said "in this RWC" I originally read it as in the final.

There is no way a rugby victory in a non final RWC v NZ would create an Italia 90 moment

don't understand all the Rugby talk in here tbh, If Ireland beat the All blacks I wouldn't be talking about Soccer on the Irish Rugby thread.

Anywhoo... O'Neil says "We have reached the play-offs and we can go for it on Sunday now." so maybe we will actually see attacking football in Poland. Hell if we score 2 goals a draw would actually put us through automatically the way the head to head thing works.

Was Coleman only ruled out for the German game or both?

don't understand all the Rugby talk in here tbh, If Ireland beat the All blacks I wouldn't be talking about Soccer on the Irish Rugby thread.

Anywhoo... O'Neil says "We have reached the play-offs and we can go for it on Sunday now." so maybe we will actually see attacking football in Poland. Hell if we score 2 goals a draw would actually put us through automatically the way the head to head thing works.

Was Coleman only ruled out for the German game or both?

Think I read today that Coleman and Wilson should both be fit for Sunday.

Think I read today that Coleman and Wilson should both be fit for Sunday.

sweet, a little harsh on the players that miss out but i'd have both start plus it means Brady will continue in midfield which I am pleased about.

Yeah I'd agree with you, I was very impressed with Brady last night. Although he has looked okay at left back he looks so much more comfortable further up the pitch, long term I could see him filling in the Hoolahan playmaker type role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Yeah I'd agree with you, I was very impressed with Brady last night. Although he has looked okay at left back he looks so much more comfortable further up the pitch, long term I could see him filling in the Hoolahan playmaker type role.

Agreed Brady has done well as a stop gap at left back but no question he is a midfielder. Getting Wilson and Coleman back is a big boost and I assume Whelan and McClean are avilable as well after being suspended for last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

I see the u21's won 3-0 . That 3 wins in 3 for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

I've seen some match reports with Hoolahan rated higher than McCarthy for last nights game and a number of articles fapping over him. Am I missing something? He was good but thought McCarthy was excellent and should be kept in that defensive role for future games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Is it too late to comment on the game :P? My first game in the Aviva, needless to say I'll be back again!! Incredible result. And I say result because realistically we were set out for a draw and Germany had quite a few clear cut chances. But, we beat Germany 1-0, so I'll try not to be too negative! It was an absolute joy to watch Wes Hoolahan. He really is top class. His touch, dribbling, always positive and looking to go forward. Definitely our standout player and should be the first name on the team sheet. With absolutely nothing to lose, I think we should set out to really attack Poland and just go for it. Worst case, we'll get a 2-2 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Luap wrote: »
    I see the u21's won 3-0 . That 3 wins in 3 for them.
    Great, but still those games were against Andorra and Lithuania xD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

If we draw with Poland and Germany lose at home to Georgia (I know unlikely) then we finish top of the group, Poland second & Germany third on the basis of the head to head records.

;)

Your kidding yourself if you think people got as excited about the grand slam as last night.

But you view is biased because you play rugby.

My father was never a big sports fan, never togged out in his adult life either.

But he rarely missed an Ireland soccer game on TV and always watched World Cups.
    An Ireland rugby game would pass him by.

They are the kind of people I am talking about, those that have a passing interest in sport will always have more relative interest in Irish international soccer than Irish international rugby

Ive played soccer to a decent level,been playing since i was 6, rugby i started 2 years ago, just because a select group of people get excited about a win in soccer doesnt mean the country does, the grand slam in rugby was the most excited ive ever seen this country get, honestly dont know how you missed it. my father never has been a sports man would have watched the grand slam games didnt watch the ireland match last night

Ive played soccer to a decent level,been playing since i was 6, rugby i started 2 years ago, just because a select group of people get excited about a win in soccer doesnt mean the country does, the grand slam in rugby was the most excited ive ever seen this country get...

It was like a one party hat and a saggy balloon compared to the celebration that was Italia 90!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

poland 1- ROI 1

we draw Turkey in the playoffs home first and away second. draw 0-0 at home and lose 1-0 away, big fight at the end.

id take Israel or Estonia, please not sweden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

PTH2009 wrote: »
    id take Israel or Estonia, please not sweden

Why the big fear of Sweden? Of the 3 other 'bigger' teams in their group (Austria, Russia and Montenegro), they've only won 1 (Montenegro at home) and lost to Russia (away) and recently got hammered 1-4 at home to Austria. They drew all the rest. Of course I'd rather Israel/Estonia too but I'd be quietly confident of beating Sweden over 2 legs and certainly wouldn't fear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Why the big fear of Sweden? Of the 3 other 'bigger' teams in their group (Austria, Russia and Montenegro), they've only won 1 (Montenegro at home) and lost to Russia (away) and recently got hammered 1-4 at home to Austria. They drew all the rest. Of course I'd rather Israel/Estonia too but I'd be quietly confident of beating Sweden over 2 legs and certainly wouldn't fear them.

My only fear in getting Sweden would be they were knocked out by Portugal in a world cup playoffs last time around and that really must have hurt.

They also have zlatan, with probably his last chance to play at a major finals and like him or not , if he was on it and motivated against us he could really destroy us on his own. Not saying we wouldn't have a chance, just think they would be dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

It was like a one party hat and a saggy balloon compared to the celebration that was Italia 90!

Rugby is popular/unpopular in different parts of the country for various social reasons. 2009 grand slam and Bernard Dunnes title win was a massive celebration. Check out the footage for Munster winning the Heineken cup in 2006... Limerick went nuts. Ireland have never achieved in a rugby World Cup so no one knows how people will react. Hopefully we'll find out onthe next month :-)

Landsdowne was class last night because it was so unexpected. Best atmosphere ever for the last twenty minutes.

the grand slam in rugby was the most excited ive ever seen this country get, honestly dont know how you missed it

Ahh now that's just not true. How old are you? Were you around for the we world cups in 90,94 and 02?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ive played soccer to a decent level,been playing since i was 6, rugby i started 2 years ago, just because a select group of people get excited about a win in soccer doesnt mean the country does, the grand slam in rugby was the most excited ive ever seen this country get, honestly dont know how you missed it. my father never has been a sports man would have watched the grand slam games didnt watch the ireland match last night

Woah, I don't know about that. I'm not even getting into the rugby v soccer thing, but I definitely don't think the grand slam had that affect above all other times. There's a few football occasions I'd put above that certainly. Everyone is different, some people wouldn't have watched the match last night, I couldn't even tell you for certain what year Ireland won the grand slam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

When I sat down in in the Aviva with young lad to watch Ireland Vs Poland, and we let in that soft goal. I thought, this group is going to be POL, SCOT & IRL all looking for 2nd place, and that goal difference will be a likely decider.

Now when I look back, that soft goal cost us even more. Thought we were out of it.

Poland like to dive and slowed the game down. In some cases it was pathetic diving. The Poles are as passionate as we are, the diving drives a lot of their fans insane. We have a team, that give it there all, don't cheat, Don't look for yellows or reds when fairly challenged. We get on with our game, it's not always pretty, it's not always how we think it should be played, but it's fair, if we beat you, it was done fairly.

No matter the sport, soccer, rugby, MMA, atlethics and SWIMMING!!!! When we beat you there is no arbitration needed. You were beat!!!

When we travel to Poland, I'll be proud to support those Ladd on the pitch. Win or lose. We play it with the right attitude. Beat them by being better or lose giving 100%....

We are are lucky bunch or supporters to have always been afforded this passion by our sportsmen and women, and our players are lucky to have us singing whether we win or lose.

What's the greatest Irish moment?
    I don't because it hasn't happened yet. That's why I keep watching it all :)

Bring on Poland, no nerves, the team has done us proud either way, bring on Sweden if needs be.

We'll play em all. We'll continue our no racism and no cheating, that is something the greatest players wish they had when they walked on the pitch.

Poland better be prepared!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Re the soccer v rugby debate, the easiest example of general public excitement is anytime we reach a world cup or euros streets and towns all over the country are covered in bunting and Irish flags flown from bedroom windows. Kids spray their hair green, Penneys and Dunnes bring out awful tshirts that are seen in pubs up and down the country. With rugby that just doesnt happen. And I say that as a casual rugby fan who watches all Irish internationals and most of Leinsters European Cup games.

LeeJM wrote: »
    Re the soccer v rugby debate, the easiest example of general public excitement is anytime we reach a world cup or euros streets and towns all over the country are covered in bunting and Irish flags flown from bedroom windows. Kids spray their hair green, Penneys and Dunnes bring out awful tshirts that are seen in pubs up and down the country. With rugby that just doesnt happen. And I say that as a casual rugby fan who watches all Irish internationals and most of Leinsters European Cup games.

Yes but it happens so rarely in soccer it is bound to receive a bigger reaction. It's a silly debate, Ireland in Rugby are a top 8 team guaranteed so it would take a seriously big win against the big boys in a World Cup to have anyway to compare it to Ireland qualifying for the soccer World Cup. Some Irish people dislike rugby, some Irish people dislike soccer. I think most of us get behind both teams with with the exact same wants and desires:

Ireland to win.

It's not a fair comparison, I know plenty of people who would choose their county team win an All Ireland ahead of Ireland qualify for a World Cup given the choice. We are all different, why has it to be rugby v soccer. Just be happy both are going well at the moment. Come on Ireland

I think that we are having this soccer v rugby debate because there has been, since about the start of the Stan era, a overall discussion about whether the Irish rugby team are more popular than the Republic of Ireland soccer team.

It was even mentioned earlier in the week on Off The Ball that the Germany game was creeping up on us due to the rugby world cup.

But the reaction to what happened Thursday and what it means for Sunday shows us that soccer is still the sport that grabs the nations attention far more than rugby does.

It will be interesting to see what the viewing figures for both will be on Sunday.
    Both games are on terrestrial TV available to all but I reckon the soccer will far outstrip the rugby in viewing figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A concern I would have with the Poland game 2morrow would be that we could of used up all our intensity/energy in the German game and fall flat. The country will go wild 2morrow if we somehow win.

2morrows plan shower, dinner, pub for 4.30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

A concern I would have with the Poland game 2morrow would be that we could of used up all our intensity/energy in the German game and fall flat. The country will go wild 2morrow if we somehow win.

There'll be a weight of expectation on the players tomorrow because of the great result against Germany. A real belief amongst the public that Ireland can secure automatic qualification. I'd worry more about the pressure players will be feeling in regards to this than any stamina issues or fatigue. Poland had a tough game away to Scotland as well where they only snatched an equaliser right at the death, so if stamina is an issue, it'll affect the Poles as well. Maybe we shouldn't act so surprised if tomorrow's game is an altogether more cagey affair that could only get cagier. If it's still 0-0 at HT, then I think O'Neill's thinking will switch to keeping it tight and snatching a goal.

No point comparing it to our first major international event, compare it to the european championships would be the way to do it.
    Anyways bringing rugby up sounds like a jealous school girl cause the rugby were getting some attention

Ahh now that's just not true. How old are you? Were you around for the we world cups in 90,94 and 02?

Id have been around for all 3, but only 4 and 8. But grandslam was a match for 02

But the team will be changed I would imagine? Randolph only played ~45 mins the other night though it felt like about six hours :-) long also only played 40 mins

Wilson, Whelan and Coleman could all be back in potentially, Long back on the bench until half time? Will Robbie get 45 minutes? I'm not saying he should but in a game we have nothing to lose and if we do grab a goal it will rightly put the ****s up the Polish? They are the ones with something to lose as it stands? Presumably McClean will be brought on? The starting team will be very interesting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement