Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

Corholio wrote: »
    Of the non-Ireland born players, very few Irish players in the current squad would immediately declare for Ireland if there was a possible opportunity for England imo, yet anyone who even twitches at signing up for us is lambasted.

I don't know that we can extrapolate from the likes of Grealish and Hogan that all or most English born players would have preferred to play for England. Are there many others who have had this "twitch" that seems to last for months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I could not imagine hogan leaving until Summer at earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't know that we can extrapolate from the likes of Grealish and Hogan that all or most English born players would have preferred to play for England. Are there many others who have had this "twitch" that seems to last for months?

I didn't say they would have preferred to play for England, I said they might not have immediately declared for Ireland.
    Most Irish fans wouldn't have heard or been aware of him in Ireland terms a few months ago to be worried about him so it's hardly been a twitch for months in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I could not imagine hogan leaving until Summer at earliest.

Why not ?

I presume there is a price Brentford are willing to sell him for this month,do you think he would turn down a move to EPL ?

I didn't say they would have preferred to play for England, I said they might not have immediately declared for Ireland.
    Most Irish fans wouldn't have heard or been aware of him in Ireland terms a few months ago to be worried about him so it's hardly been a twitch for months in this case.

Well, this is a post from 6 months ago on this thread.

So Hogan himself has been wrestling with the issue for 6 months anyway. That's a fair old twitch...
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    scott hogan

"There are much more things I'm worried about than declaring what country I can play for. My grandma and granddad are Irish – my late grandfather was as well.

"I'm eligible to play for them but I'm a Brentford player and the last thing I'm thinking of is who I'm going to represent internationally. It's getting ahead of myself a bit too much."

? he is 24, its about time he knew who he wants to represent.

• Advertisement

Well, this is a post from 6 months ago on this thread.

So Hogan himself has been wrestling with the issue for 6 months anyway. That's a fair old twitch...

The twitch was in relation to how some fans overreact to players not immediately choosing Ireland, anything less than instant and he's a mercenary. We'd have very few players and certainly wouldn't be doing no qualifying if it was used for current Irish players imo. This is especially relative to players who sort of come out of nowhere like Hogan.

The twitch was in relation to how some fans overreact to players not immediately choosing Ireland, anything less than instant and he's a mercenary.

Not sure I follow.
    ...anyone who even twitches at signing up for us is lambasted.

That's surely about a player dithering, not the fans reaction to it. The "anyone...signing up..." is the player himself.

This player has mulled over it for 6 months. That's not some twitch. We are a long way off the "anything less than an instant" in 6 months, don't you agree? If you are saying that the fans don't know he has prevaricated all this long but are giving out anyway, I doubt it. In fact I suspect many have no opinion at all. Furthermore, I see concern and criticism, I haven't seen this across the board "lambasting". Clearly those who know he has taken over half a year may be cynical, you surely accept that he is open to comment?

Yeah, and he has given pretty valid reasons why he isn't being distracted by anything other than his professional career at the moment. But people choose to ignore that and psychoanalyse the guy. What is the point of him declaring now but telling them the same (REASONABLE) thing that he doesn't wish to be called up until a certain date. Un a way it's more respectful to just put the whole thing on the back burner until he is ready.
    Most players just get called up when they are called up. There isn't this huge public announcement.
    Hogan's case is unusual as it's rare a player that comes back from career threatening series of injuries becomes such a good international prospect. You aren't talking about a player who has had a couple of eyecatching seasons and is ready and willing to play international football now.
    I tore my cruciate and ripped my meniscus so I look at Hogan's comeback and the amount and intensity of football he is now playing with great respect. Those 2 weeks off during the season are invaluable I would guess until he has another few months under his belt.

Maybe he won't declare, maybe he is playing the long game with England. I any naive enough to think that's not out of the equation, quite likely actually.

But the lad has came out, explained the situation, pretty reasonable in my view, so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt that what he said was genuine.

Others just don't want to do that after the Grealish cr*p

Yeah, and he has given pretty valid reasons why he isn't being distracted by anything other than his professional career at the moment. But people choose to ignore that and psychoanalyse the guy. What is the point of him declaring now but telling them the same (REASONABLE) thing that he doesn't wish to be called up until a certain date. Un a way it's more respectful to just put the whole thing on the back burner until he is ready.

It's far from an attempt to psychoanalyse the man.

It's simply an observation that he's taking a long time. I don't know whether he is motivated by loyalty to Brentwood or Brentford or whoever they are or genuine confusion about his identity and roots or simply an inability to wipe his own arse without his agent. But...at least 6 months (and presumably something that may have crossed his mind before then too), I don't think that's a reasonable delay, I think it excessive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The Scott Hogan and Jack Grealish situation are completely different.

Hogan has never played for us internationally at any sort of level and it's really only since he's started playing well professionally and scoring goals that he has came to prominence.

The prospect of England looked too appealing for Grealish and that prevailed in his choice ultimately.

However, Hogan has come out before with no hulabaloo from him saying he simply wants to get back playing football after a terrible injury. I could end up eating my words but he seems sensible, not getting ahead of himself too much and knows where he stands in his playing ability, maybe he feels international football is a step too far for him right now and wants to prove to himself he can play at a consistent level without worrying about injuries. He's only back playing less than 12 months after a long long spell out which he probably questioned himself if he'll ever get back playing what he loves.

When the time is right for him, he'll make a decision and fingers crossed it'll be for Ireland. We don't want the media and ridiculous fans putting fear into players like the Harry Arter saga which was a disgrace receiving 'vile messages from supposed fans'.

As the supposed best fans in the world, we're better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hogan is a snake in the grass. Wouldn't want him playing for us. Brentford looked after him for over s year when he was crocked, now 33 games later he's looking for a way out.

He's doing the same with Ireland, stringing us along but hoping that England come calling.

Hogan is a snake in the grass. Wouldn't want him playing for us. Brentford looked after him for over s year when he was crocked, now 33 games later he's looking for a way out.

He's doing the same with Ireland, stringing us along but hoping that England come calling.

He's hardly looking for a way out, if bigger clubs are interested and willing to spend, there may not be a whole lot he can do. This isn't the Premiership, Brentford are a smallish club having been in L2 only 8 years ago, they're mid table Championship and somewhat overachieving.

This happens to clubs like this a lot where they lose their big name players to bigger clubs for huge sums of money. I would imagine Brentford fans are excited the club is in a position to negotiate a high price (approx £15m) for a somewhat injury prone player, wish him well for the goals he's scored and spend the money they are receiving well.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd say Brentford will be very happy to get a nice fee for a player who could revert to being crock any week now.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

A snake move would be running down his contract and moving for free. They're going to sell him.

Strange comment.

Who said he was looking for a way out???

I would say the opposite that he is looking to repay them for their loyalty by ignoring international football.

The reading into Hogan's mind (ironic, considering I have just done the same!) by Irish fans is getting bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hogan is definitely stalling on declaring for a number of reasons.

Firstly he needs to be sure that Ireland will make the world cup, he can declare late in the campaign and land himself right into a world cup finals, thereby increasing his value.

Secondly if he gets his big money move to West ham and scores a few goals he will be called up by the English, his preferred option further increasing his earnings capacity.

Best of luck to him on his decision but I wouldn't be holding my breath for him. He'll pick us if England don't come calling first.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Haven't read anything to say he is actively looking for a move but I'm sure there is a price Brentford will sell him for this month.

If a good deal is offered for club and player I see no reason why a move won't happen and certainly won't class him as a snake over his conduct so far.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Best of luck to him on his decision but I wouldn't be holding my breath for him. He'll pick us if England don't come calling first.

Unless he gets a move to EPL this month and then goes on to have an outrageous run of form he ain't going to get a call up to England anytime soon.We will know if he's going to play for us a long time before an England call up is on the cards.

There must be near a dozen players ahead of him at the moment it will take some doing to jump that queue in the near future.

The Scott Hogan and Jack Grealish situation are completely different.

There are certain similarities, as in the "players taking a bloody long time to make up their minds as to where their allegiance lies".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

There are certain similarities, as in the "players taking a bloody long time to make up their minds as to where their allegiance lies".

And let's not forget the similarities between Hogan and Arter.

"Boards posters presuming motivation based on absolutely nothing."

• Advertisement

And let's not forget the similarities between Hogan and Arter.

"Boards posters presuming motivation based on absolutely nothing."

But it's fair to say there were questions surrounding his desire to play and his inability to make a number of games.

Let's not canonise Arter for his service to the Irish game quite yet on the basis of one competitive match. Or that he vindicates all others who seem less than enthusiastic.

Do you think at least 6 months is a long time to be making up his mind or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Not when you consider that this is his third season for Brentford and hasn't even played six months of competitive football for them or if he has its probably not by much.

If he had been for and scoring all around him for three seasons you'd say yeah he's kinda taking a bit long to make up his mind but he's only played 33 league games for them with 8 of them in hia first two seasons so you can see why he's taking his time. Alan Judge gave an interview about him not long ago and says the same thing about him that a lot of people are saying here

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.302/85405/0/

But it's fair to say there were questions surrounding his desire to play and his inability to make a number of games.

Let's not canonise Arter for his service to the Irish game quite yet on the basis of one competitive match. Or that he vindicates all others who seem less than enthusiastic.

Is it fair to say though? There can be questions surrounding anything just by people stating it. Nobodies canonising him really, but a lot worse imo is the unwarranted false negatives people had based on very little at all. Any future player who doesn't declare for Ireland 5 minutes after finding out they can play for them will be castigated, and it's a bit sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Is it fair to say though? There can be questions surrounding anything just by people stating it. Nobodies canonising him really, but a lot worse imo is the unwarranted false negatives people had based on very little at all. Any future player who doesn't declare for Ireland 5 minutes after finding out they can play for them will be castigated, and it's a bit sad really.

It hasn't been 5 minutes though. It's been over a year since he was first approached. Ireland is a laughing stock between Grealish and Hogan.

It hasn't been 5 minutes though. It's been over a year since he was first approached. Ireland is a laughing stock between Grealish and Hogan.

Has it been over a year though cause this time 12 months ago he was still out injured and had only made two appearances in one and a half years so if MON has mystical powers and could foresee what he was gonna be like once he returned after a year and half with only two games then he deserves a pay rise and given the head of scouting job once he retires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sitting top of our group probably negates some of the laughing stockness of having a player from England choose not to play with us and another one making a slow decision.

I was actually talking about Arter. But with Hogan, opinions should be also based on the chasing that's done. Hogan turned down an U-21 cap in 2014 because it was an important time of the season for Rochdale and his breakthrough season there. For some that'd be a guillotine offence and should never be considered for Irish duty again, which imo is living in an unrealistic current football world. I'm never sure why some people think you have be a blood and guts Irish declarer to play for Ireland? Will they somehow play worse on a football pitch for 90 minutes because they haven't dreamt of playing for Ireland all their lives?

Has it been over a year though cause this time 12 months ago he was still out injured and had only made two appearances in one and a half years so if MON has mystical powers and could foresee what he was gonna be like once he returned after a year and half with only two games then he deserves a pay rise and given the head of scouting job once he retires.

He was first called up in 2014 and I haven't heard anything about being approached other than in 2016. EDIT: only noticed you said this was about Arter

We're only an apparent 'laughing stock' because we wind ourselves up about it.

Find out he's eligible, will he declare or not has all been Irish fans and media getting ourselves upset about it and making something out of nothing.

He was first called up in 2014 and I haven't heard anything about being approached other than in 2016. EDIT: only noticed you said this was about Arter

We're only an apparent 'laughing stock' because we wind ourselves up about it.

Find out he's eligible, will he declare or not has all been Irish fans and media getting ourselves upset about it and making something out of nothing.

He was called up to the Irish u21s squad and as somebody said yesterday would probably mean he's already declared for Ireland and I'm sure not one person here probably didn't know who he was, that he qualified for Ireland or that he was even called into the 21s squad.

He wasn't heard of then until September of last year I think after his strong finish to the 15/16 and strong start to this season until it was all over the papers how he could qualify for Ireland and how MON was keeping tabs on him.

If some people are saying that he hasn't made his mind up since Feb 2014 he must be holding out for England well I think he had more important issues during that time such as will I ever play again and not which countries badge should I kiss when I score.

• Advertisement

??? You are making this up as you go along now. I very much doubt MON, with the Euros around the corner approached a guy who was still injured /I'm rehab after, give or take, 2 years out with serious injury! A guy who wasn't even born in Ireland and had a very sparse career up until then (although many knew he had talent ).

Being honest, if MON was knocking on his door there, it would be him that was a laughing stock!

Maybe I have got this wrong but if not, it seems bizarre to approach him in 2015.

Apologies mate, it's Arter you were referring to, yeah?

FAI may be a laughing stock but I don't think the football world has that feeling in anyway towards us.

Sorry ignore that above post. I actually wasn't aware he was actually called up to U21.

Apologies

...anyone who even twitches at signing up for us...
    The twitch was in relation to how some fans overreact to players not immediately choosing Ireland, anything less than instant and he's a mercenary...
    Any future player who doesn't declare for Ireland 5 minutes after finding out they can play for them...

We are talking about at least 6 months...
    For some that'd be a guillotine offence and should never be considered for Irish duty again...

It's not a guillotine offence at all, merely an observation that he's dragging his feet. And if a player has to think about it, it's perfectly reasonable for some supporters to say "we'll wait until he decides" but it's also reasonable for others to criticise his inability to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The more time goes on the more I feel he is going to choose not to play for Ireland. If he hasn't decided by the Wales game then good luck to him. Fair enough that he wanted to focus on recovering from his injury rather than play international football but I think it was more of a weighted decision than that, if England had of come calling would he have said the same? He is English born at the end of the day so if he doesn't want to play for us then we can't blame him, but I would think the Wales game should be the deadline for a decision.

Reading got a bit of a hiding today but Liam Kelly was probably their best player.

He worked very hard and showed for the ball a lot.Some nice touches and even though they were under pressure all game he seemed to handle it well.
    Stam rates him highly,definitely one to watch.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Reading got a bit of a hiding today but Liam Kelly was probably their best player.

He worked very hard and showed for the ball a lot.Some nice touches and even though they were under pressure all game he seemed to handle it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ya,he seems a bit of player alright,small and tricky a bit like Wes

He looks to be a really good player and we have a lot of young lads who have started to get games in the championship this season .
    Only making the breakthrough but good to see all the same.
    Some may not go on to play at the highest level or senior football for us but always good to see them coming through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ritchie Towell finally gets a game for Brighton!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Hopefully he can put in a good performance and a get a run of games under his belt otherwise he'd be better off looking for a loan away.

• Advertisement

Hopefully he can put in a good performance and a get a run of games under his belt otherwise he'd be better off looking for a loan away.

I reckon he will be loaned out this month either way.Gonna find it very hard to get into that side on a regular basis.

Daryl Murphy finally gets a game and he scores.
    Needs to get out of that club, they aren't interested despite the cliche soundbytes from Rafa.

Noone has come out good since he moved to Newcastle
    Newcastle: waste of money if he isn'[t playing
    Ipswich: No money can buy you the goals Murphy scored for them
    Murphy: Can't even get in squad
    Ireland: Obviously need him in confident form

I reckon he will be loaned out this month either way.Gonna find it very hard to get into that side on a regular basis.

Looking at the table I hope you're right. Brighton two points ahead in first with a game in hand and eight points ahead of the teams in third and fourth place.

A loan to someone like Preston who are mid table and have just signed a couple of his former teammates and have a strong Irish contingent already could be good for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Daryl Horgan on the bench for Preston against Arsenal.

spock. wrote: »
    Daryl Horgan on the bench for Preston against Arsenal.

exciting stuff! Surely he will get a few minutes.

Daryl Murphy finally gets a game and he scores.
    Needs to get out of that club, they aren't interested despite the cliche soundbytes from Rafa.

Noone has come out good since he moved to Newcastle
    Newcastle: waste of money if he isn'[t playing
    Ipswich: No money can buy you the goals Murphy scored for them
    Murphy: Can't even get in squad
    Ireland: Obviously need him in confident form

Murphy knew exactly want was going to happen when he joined Newcastle.Going to a team fighting for promotion and a good jump in wages.
    Newcastle got a proven championship striker and a good squad addition for a low fee.
    I expected him to be more involved but he missed 10+ games through injury but he cant have much complaints ,they play one upfront and Gayle is on fire.

Ha, apparently Towell had a 45 yarder saved!

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Ritchie Towell finally gets a game for Brighton!!

Woohoo. We can finally say...

Brighton Throw in the...

Actually, it's still too obvious.

Murphy knew exactly want was going to happen when he joined Newcastle.Going to a team fighting for promotion and a good jump in wages.
    Newcastle got a proven championship striker and a good squad addition for a low fee.
    I expected him to be more involved but he missed 10+ games through injury but he cant have much complaints ,they play one upfront and Gayle is on fire.

Oh, I know, not really what I was saying though! He still needs to get out in the Summer. Newcastle will invest in better players than him, once promoted. I don't blame him for taking the opportunity, nor do I think it was a stupid move by Newcastle tbh but nothing positive has came out of it for any party. Only the fact it adds a sense of comfort to Newcastle knowing that he is available, if a few injuries accrue.

What were you saying ?

Newcastle are getting exactly want they wanted ,proven goalscorer and back up to Gayle.
    Murphy is on a 2 year contract and will hardly move unless his wage is matched.He will be 34 in a few weeks so on sitting on the bench isn't a huge deal for him otherwise he could have stayed at Ipswich.His career would have been two more years playing for mid-table championship sides on half the money or less so id say he is contented.
    From our point of view it is frustrating as we need him in as we have so little options.

Jaysus we really do need to find a striker or 2 asap .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement