Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Eh, they aren't playing him............, they are getting nothing out of him apart from the comfort of having him on the bench.
    Thats what I mean by "nothing positive"

Fair enough, he scored today though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Eh, they aren't playing him............, they are getting nothing out of him apart from the comfort of having him on the bench.
    Thats what I mean by "nothing positive"

Fair enough, he scored today though.

But hes there when called on,bought as a squad player.They dont need to play him but do need players on the bench and for 3.5m he could be the difference if they get an injury or 2.Worth it if they go back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

yabadabado wrote: »
    But hes there when called on,bought as a squad player.They dont need to play him but do need players on the bench and for 3.5m he could be the difference if they get an injury or 2.Worth it if they go back up.

Plus having a reliable Championship goal scorer on the bench means that Gayle is not gonna start resting on his laurels. He knows he has to perform or Murphy will take his spot.

he hasn't even been in the game squad since September, apart from Blackburn game. I know what you are saying, I said the same thing about the comfort of having him knocking about the stadium but he has brought nothing positive to the team as of yet (up until today ).

As I said, I get the point about being back up, (that isn't a debate) but as of yet, he has contributed nothing apart from that. (apart from today, of course!)

Je has so many players ahead of him in that formation so apart from a really bad run of injuries, I can't see him getting any significant league game time that he was getting at Ipswich.

And as I said, Newcastle will splash the cash once promoted so he will be shipped off. Otherwise its a sad state of affairs for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Id say Greg Cunningham is defo worth a run in the Iceland game in March

Yeayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭prodsc

Horgan on for last 10 mins

• Advertisement

nice little ball from Horgan there to Cunningham

Id say Greg Cunningham is defo worth a run in the Iceland game in March

He has being quietly going about his business the last few years and now a regular in the championship so I'd expect him to be on MON radar. He's having another good season again this year after being PNE player of the year last season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Preston are like a mini Ireland!

Mind you, my own Southend aren't too far behind them in that respect!

Wilberto wrote: »
    Preston are like a mini Ireland!

Mind you, my own Southend aren't too far behind them in that respect!

Preston's manager is Simon Grayson. Solid manager, brought through a lot of fine players at Leeds and nearly took that club through 2 promotions. Think he'll give the Irish contingent a great chance of successfully making the move to England. Won't be any rash decisions while he's around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

He has being quietly going about his business the last few years and now a regular in the championship so I'd expect him to be on MON radar. He's having another good season again this year after being PNE player of the year last season.

Considering our lack of options in that position, he's definitely worth trying there. Problem will be the lack of friendly games to bed him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Completely missed Horgan moving to Preston. Was that a free transfer?

• Advertisement

No offence but it would be quicker and handier for all concerned to just Google Horgan / PReston !!

Andy Boyle mover there also.

Not sure financial details, as Dundalk weren't entitled to anything as both were out of contract but I imagine there was a few quid given out of courtesy perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Did the two lads come through the academy? Surely they'd be entitled to something.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Did the two lads come through the academy? Surely they'd be entitled to something.

No sure he moved from Cork, was with Sligo too.

• Advertisement

I would have thought that the teams that brought him through would be rewarded similarly to Crumlin united with Robbie Keane.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Only if the players are under the age of 24 then you're entitled to a compensation fee.

Surely it's make sense for the top LOI clubs to give their top players at least 2 years contracts. It's only an extra 2 months pay per year. Would they have to pay a signing on fee each year? This would insure that they get some return on the players and they could insist on sell on clauses. The likes of robbie Keane and Shane long have moved around clubs for big money. 1 or 2 transfers could set up a team for years. As it is we have 8 players in the national team, all big players who were sold for practically nothing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Surely it's make sense for the top LOI clubs to give their top players at least 2 years contracts. It's only an extra 2 months pay per year. Would they have to pay a signing on fee each year? This would insure that they get some return on the players and they could insist on sell on clauses. The likes of robbie Keane and Shane long have moved around clubs for big money. 1 or 2 transfers could set up a team for years. As it is we have 8 players in the national team, all big players who were sold for practically nothing.

Even then players would just wait until the contract is up and then move. It's a ****ty situation but one that possibly will never be fixed.

One suggestion that came from someone was that the FAI should take a leaf outta the IRFUs book and centrally contract the top ten players in the league but that brings with it a lot of problems too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I would have thought that the teams that brought him through would be rewarded similarly to Crumlin united with Robbie Keane.
    Who would be entitled to money for Horgan? Dundalk were his 4th LOI club, definitely not them.

Boyle was previously with Shels, should they get money? Dundalk never paid them anything, why should Preston?

If my contract runs out in my job and I want to move companies do my current employer get money?

Club's are ****ed for money and most players only get 9 month contracts.It suits the clubs so they can't really complain when there is no transfer fee for the likes of Horgan.

Why would Preston pay a fee for players when they are not required to ?They are a business after all and I think they are fairly strapped for cash themselves.

FAI could look to change things to improve the league/transfer etc but then they would actually have to give a **** .

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Who would be entitled to money for Horgan? Dundalk were his 4th LOI club, definitely not them.

Boyle was previously with Shels, should they get money? Dundalk never paid them anything, why should Preston?

If my contract runs out in my job and I want to move companies do my current employer get money?

If a player is under the age of 24 then they would have been entitled to compensation, if he moved last year they would have got something the same way Dundalk had to pay Cork compensation.

But it's weird enough seeing as he left Sligo to join Cork, might have to play for a club for a certain duration before entitled to compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

No offence but it would be quicker and handier for all concerned to just Google Horgan / PReston !!

In China with an unreliable vpn so it not necessarily quicker lol

In China with an unreliable vpn so it not necessarily quicker lol

Is that you John Obi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Saw rumours in a few of the papers (well, the Guardian mentioned it in their gossip roundup piece so not sure who actually ran it!!) today that James McCarthy might be on the move.
    Likely to be nothing in it, but apparently the expected arrival of Schneiderlin might push him out, with Koeman favouring a pairing of Gueye-Schneiderlin.
    West Brom were listed as interested in McCarthy (also apparently keeping an eye on Schneiderlin), as well as an unnamed second club.
    Wonder would the change of scenery do him good? Or is he better off where he is? Obviously, if he loses his place, moving on would be a better option, but you'd hope he could get the right club. Still feel that the right surroundings could see him improve further.
    But, between Long, McCarthy and Brady, there might be a few high profile changes for Irish players this window.

That said, January tends to be ****e so the smart money says they all sit still until the summer when they all move to Preston!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

We seem to have a hell of a lot of guys breaking into their club teams at the moment or else finding some serious form at Championship/League 1 level. Would love to see a lot of them given a chance in some upcoming friendlies but realistically where do you fit them in? There are barely any squad places up for grabs. Good times to be an Irish fan, arguably the best options we have had in a long time (still crying out for a striker mind).

You could nearly make a full squad off these players who deserve a chance or to be looked at:

Elliott
    Doherty Egan Boyle Cunningham
    Cullen Forrester
    Horgan Hourihane Judge
    Hogan

Subs:
    O'Connell
    Byrne
    Manning
    Shodipo
    Kelly

Some are further off than others obviously, but it certainly feels as if there are a lot of Irish players coming onto the scene and playing well by all accounts.

Haven't seen Cullen play before but that midfield looks tasty and wouldn't mind seeing it against Iceland with possibly someone experienced in there alongside Forrester.

We seem to have a hell of a lot of guys breaking into their club teams at the moment or else finding some serious form at Championship/League 1 level. Would love to see a lot of them given a chance in some upcoming friendlies but realistically where do you fit them in? There are barely any squad places up for grabs. Good times to be an Irish fan, arguably the best options we have had in a long time (still crying out for a striker mind).

You could nearly make a full squad off these players who deserve a chance or to be looked at:

Elliott
    Cullen Forrester
    Horgan Hourihane Judge
    Hogan

Subs:
    O'Connell
    Byrne
    Manning
    Shodipo
    Kelly

Some are further off than others obviously, but it certainly feels as if there are a lot of Irish players coming onto the scene and playing well by all accounts.

Tom Field
    Conor Ronan

Both have just broken into their club sides but are supposed to be doing well.Long way off yet but Ronan is supposed to be extremely talented player still U19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Elliott
    Cullen Forrester
    Horgan Hourihane Judge
    Hogan

Subs:
    O'Connell
    Byrne
    Manning
    Shodipo
    Kelly

Gleeson at Birmingham also worth a look at, although he's getting up there in age. Tidy footballer though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »

Aye his name does pop up every now and again.We are so light with strikers he may get a call up.MON likes the big battering target man so he is well suited.I wouldn't think he is much of a step up from Rooney.

Got to hope we can unearth a good quality striker soon.All our current options are over 30 now .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Halalooyah....And only a boy at 27....Give him a chance in a friendly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Irish votes in FIFA awards
    O'Neill
    1 Bale
    2 Buffon
    3 Kante

Coleman
    1 Ronaldo
    2 Messi
    3 Suarez

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/ballon-dor/playeroftheyear-men/02/86/27/05/faward_menplayer2016_neutral.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Irish votes in FIFA awards
    O'Neill
    1 Bale
    2 Buffon
    3 Kante

Coleman
    1 Ronaldo
    2 Messi
    3 Suarez

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/ballon-dor/playeroftheyear-men/02/86/27/05/faward_menplayer2016_neutral.pdf

It seems odd that MON wouldn't have either Ronaldo or Messi in his top 3.

Note we also have a journalist who gets a vote (Philip Quinn), he votes Ronaldo and Messi 1-2, same as Coleman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

It seems odd that MON wouldn't have either Ronaldo or Messi in his top 3.

Note we also have a journalist who gets a vote (Philip Quinn), he votes Ronaldo and Messi 1-2, same as Coleman

My view on O'Neills votes:

1 Hype up the next opposition (even if he might not be fit)
    2 Was obviously very sound in Lille when Ireland qualified for the knockout stages
    3 The most influential player when his old club won the league

Patww79 wrote: »

Gotta hope Koeman sees McCarthy in the deep cm role and not Barry.
    Schneiderlin McCarthy and Gueye as midfield 3.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Schneiderlin off to Everton. That's bad news for our midfield.

How so? Might actually be good news!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Unfortunately for McCarthy he'll be the odd one out but not to worry cause Preston be putting in a bid for him soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Gareth Barry is 36 next month, I really don't think McCarthy is going to be sold unless someone forces their hand. He may get rotated more now but I'd assume unless they sign more in midfield he would be considered a starter again next season at worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Gareth Barry is 36 next month, I really don't think McCarthy is going to be sold unless someone forces their hand. He may get rotated more now but I'd assume unless they sign more in midfield he would be considered a starter again next season at worst.

Koeman favoured a 2-man midfield at Southampton, with Wanyama and Schneiderlin shielding the defence. It was a large part of why Southampton conceded so few goals that season.

In all likelihood, he will be re-using this at Everton with Schneiderlin and Gueye shielding his back 4. It would allow Coleman and Baines too attack more without compromising their defensive solidity.

While you're not wrong about Barry not having much left in the tank, for McCarthy it is likely to be a case of being 3rd choice for 2 positions or leaving.

Ryan Manning starting again for QPR tonight. Haven't seen much of the game, but just saw a replay of QPRs goal and he played an intelligent little ball across the box to set up Mackie to tap in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

Was it not a scuffed shot?

gufc21 wrote: »
    Was it not a scuffed shot?

No - he pushed it across goal with the outside of his left foot into Mackies path.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement