Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

Wilberto wrote: »
    Daryl Horgan comes on with Preston 2-0 down at Villa, and they end up drawing 2-2.

Good man Daryl.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Manning hopeful of getting an Ireland call up at some point.

Also speaks positively of the LOI as a stepping stone.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0121/846784-manning-eyeing-ireland-future-while-impressing-qpr/

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Hourihane just scored a belter of a free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

How much was transfer fee for Ryan Manning when QPR signed him from Galway Utd? Having a great month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Robbie Keane on Goals on Sunday right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Rossi IRL wrote:
    Robbie Keane on Goals on Sunday right now

Must be living in sky studios this wkd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Must be living in sky studios this wkd

Boyhood dream fulfilled :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Morrison J wrote: »
    Its ridiculous how Hourihane still hasn't got a cap yet. He's different class. No doubt it'll come now he's getting his move to Villa but really we should judge players on ability and not the size of the club they play at. Playing Stephen Quinn over him against Oman was senseless.

Some people will tell you he's not experienced enough or as you said might not be at that big a club but fail to realise that somebodies not gonna get experience unless he's given the chance at international level and by playing at international level he might get a move to a bigger club or a club whose pushing for promotion as Villa themselves are stuck mid table anif Bruce can't turn things around for them gonna be a tough few years stuck in the championship.

Another one you'll hear is it's only league one or league of Ireland but the same applies, the player picks up experience at international level and increases his chances of getting a move to England and increases the profile of the league and for players in league one it might get them a move to a championship club etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The problem for hourihane is that we have an abundance of central midfielders with most of them being in the squad for the last few years and have performed well. Our last 4 games have all been qualifiers and ideally you want to bring new players in during friendlies. I've no doubt he'll be in the squad for the Wales/Iceland game hopefully getting some game time against Iceland.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Its ridiculous how Hourihane still hasn't got a cap yet. He's different class. No doubt it'll come now he's getting his move to Villa but really we should judge players on ability and not the size of the club they play at. Playing Stephen Quinn over him against Oman was senseless.

He's only been playing in the championship half a season and we played our last game when he'd only had a couple of months of championship experience.I don't think there is anything ridiculous about a player not being called up for world cup qualifiers on the basis of such a small sample size of performances at a decent level. League 1 is below the standard you'd want for an international player.I would think he'll almost certainly get called up for the next squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He's only been playing in the championship half a season and we played our last game when he'd only had a couple of months of championship experience.I don't think there is anything ridiculous about a player not being called up for world cup qualifiers on the basis of such a small sample size of performances at a decent level. League 1 is below the standard you'd want for an international player.I would think he'll almost certainly get called up for the next squad.

Exactly!

Jesus's Christmas, there hasn't been an international squad announced since mid Oct which happens to have conincided with his best form.

Christ some ppl exaggerate.

Funny you mention it but both Wales and Northen Ireland included players in their squads who played in league one or below. Wales number was probably low but Northen Ireland included 5 or 6 and done just as good as Ireland even progressing from a tougher group.

Funny you mention it but both Wales and Northen Ireland included players in their squads who played in league one or below. Wales number was probably low but Northen Ireland included 5 or 6 and done just as good as Ireland even progressing from a tougher group.

But they probably don't have as good a squad as Ireland and we have a pretty decent selection of players in midfield so it's not as if it's a complete scandal he wasn't picked for the first 2 squads of the campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    The problem for hourihane is that we have an abundance of central midfielders with most of them being in the squad for the last few years and have performed well. Our last 4 games have all been qualifiers and ideally you want to bring new players in during friendlies. I've no doubt he'll be in the squad for the Wales/Iceland game hopefully getting some game time against Iceland.

You can't just throw unproven international players into the mix against Oman though either. Never take them for granted.

But they probably don't have as good a squad as Ireland and we have a pretty decent selection of players in midfield so it's not as if it's a complete scandal he wasn't picked for the first 2 squads of the campaign

Not saying it's a scandal he's not being picked just pointing out that some players playing in the lower leagues have played international football so shouldnt dismiss certain players just because they are in league one.

I said earlier if you take the league one player and give him a shot then what's to say he won't get a move to team in a higher league. Not saying we should have a team full of league one and non capped players but hopefully for the next squad we get a few lads who haven't been capped yet especially for the friendly against Iceland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Choosing to play Stephen Quinn instead of him against Oman was ridiculous imo. Learnt absolutely nothing from it.

I don't agree with the thinking that we don't look at League 1 players because it's a low level either. Standard is a million times higher that the League of Ireland for a start and it should be about the players ability not the club or level he plays at anyway.

Choosing to play Stephen Quinn instead of him against Oman was ridiculous imo. Learnt absolutely nothing from it.

I don't agree with the thinking that we don't look at League 1 players because it's a low level either. Standard is a million times higher that the League of Ireland for a start and it should be about the players ability not the club or level he plays at anyway.

Well Stephen Quinn deserves game time also. Needs it as well. Quinn is worthy of his squad placing and it is clear MON wants him around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Well Stephen Quinn deserves game time also. Needs it as well. Quinn is worthy of his squad placing and it is clear MON wants him around

Quinn is doing very little at club level to say he deserves game time. Hourihane is the superior player and should've played in that game for sure imo. We know what Quinn offers at this stage.

But you can't properly judge a players ability if they haven't played at a high enough level, lots of players have looked like world beaters at lower levels only to be found out when they make the step up.

I'd say Horgan was picked purely because of his form in Europe, if he hadn't played so well in europe I doubt he would have been in the squad.

Quinn is doing very little at club level to say he deserves game time. Hourihane is the superior player and should've played in that game for sure imo. We know what Quinn offers at this stage.

Not much he can do when he has been out injured for months to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bandage

We have very little to be concerned about if Conor Hourihnane not being selected for the Oman friendly back in August, before he'd shown any sustained form in the English Championship, is a bone of contention for some.

Not starting to look good re Hogan, I must say. Transfer to West Ham looks more or less a formality so doubt he is going to "distract " himself with international football at the minute. Some few months for him though, on another note

Not starting to look good re Hogan, I must say. Transfer to West Ham looks more or less a formality so doubt he is going to "distract " himself with international football at the minute. Some few months for him though, on another note

Not looking good for Brentford, while they will get a good fee for him it's gonna be hard to replace the goals he provides at this stage in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A really good move for Hogan.Hopefully he does declare for us but not too optimistic at this stage.

Not looking good for Brentford, while they will get a good fee for him it's gonna be hard to replace the goals he provides at this stage in the season.

Ah, don't know about that. Over 13 million is a monster fee for a club like them. They will be sad to let him go but crazy to reject that sort of money. At the end of the day, it's not as if they are gone down to 10 men. Could replace him with a half decent championship striker and build from there. Medium to long term, they have come out well.

I don't think he justices the price just yet but a team like WH have money to burn so an extra 3 or 4 million is natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

yabadabado wrote: »
    A really good move for Hogan.Hopefully he does declare for us but not too optimistic at this stage.

Agent Randalph can be in his ear on a daily basis, no worries

Benham their owner is an interesting character and the systems he has in place with Brentford (and Midtjylland) they will have some replacement in asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

No pressure on Hogan at West Ham ... just the 32 strikers signed in 7 years :eek:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jan/17/west-ham-strikers-david-sullivan-gold-simone-zaza-scott-hogan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

ahlookit wrote: »
    No pressure on Hogan at West Ham ... just the 32 strikers signed in 7 years :eek:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jan/17/west-ham-strikers-david-sullivan-gold-simone-zaza-scott-hogan
    I suppose an Irishman might just be the fellow to dig you out of a hole ........;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I reckon he'll flop in the Prem, move back to the Championship and suddenly realise how much he loves Ireland and can't wait to pledge allegiance to us.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

blinding wrote: »
    I suppose an Irishman might just be the fellow to dig you out of a hole ........;)

Yup....and I heard Robbie Keane's looking for a new club and all! ;) :pac: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Robbie Brady to Crystal Palace, £9 million

• Robbie Brady to Crystal Palace, £9 million

Been discussing this in the transfer thread. I'm not that happy about it particularly if Palace get relegated again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nice to see Shane Long getting some goals the last few weeks. Seems to be hitting form at the right time from our point of view.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Robbie Brady to Crystal Palace, £9 million

Been discussing this in the transfer thread. I'm not that happy about it particularly if Palace get relegated again

Yet another relegation wouldn't be ideal for him at this stage, he's a fine player.

On another note, he is suspended for the Wales game. Who will take the frees and corners (and penalties!)?

• Advertisement

Yet another relegation wouldn't be ideal for him at this stage, he's a fine player.

On another note, he is suspended for the Wales game. Who will take the frees and corners (and penalties!)?

Walters will take penalties anyway

And Scott Hogan will be on frees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Walters will take penalties anyway
    And Scott Hogan will be on frees

And Conor Hourihane will take the corners.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    And Conor Hourihane will take the corners.

And Packie Bonner will take the kick outs..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Bring back Rory Delap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

How is the UEFA Nations League going to affect the income from the Oman games?

• Nice to see Shane Long getting some goals the last few weeks. Seems to be hitting form at the right time from our point of view.

Just watched the goal again
    He ran the whole pitch in a matter of seconds.
    Has lighting pace

U21 Euros draw made this morning, in group 5.
    Germany
    Israel
    Norway
    Rep. of Ireland
    Azerbaijan
    Kosovo

Full draw here

Presumably the first time we'll meet Kosovo at any level...

U21 Euros draw made this morning, in group 5.
    Germany
    Israel
    Norway
    Rep. of Ireland
    Azerbaijan
    Kosovo

Full draw here

We have some very good U21 players ,it's a pity King is still manager.

Presumably the first time we'll meet Kosovo at any level...

Our U16s are playing Kosovo in May.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Our U16s are playing Kosovo in May.

lmhywsk1.gif

Hourihane transfer to Villa completed.

Very unlikely to be involved in the playoff spots barring a huge upturn in form.

So we're looking at a team like the below then? 4-1-3-2

Randolph
    Coleman-Clark-Duffy-Ward
                     Whelan
    Hendrick-McCarthy-Arter/McClean
                    Hoolahan
                    Murphy

So we're looking at a team like the below then?
    Randolph
    Coleman-Clark-Duffy-Ward
    Whelan
    Hendrick-McCarthy-Arter/McClean
    Hoolahan
    Murphy

I'd say Long is ahead of Murphy upfront.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement