Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

yabadabado wrote: »
    McGeady MOTM

3 of Preston's midfield were Irish today too, two of which come from LOI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

5 Irish lads playing for Portsmouth today as well under Paul Cook

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Great to see Horgan get a goal and McGeady seems to be rejuvenated at the moment. Long and Hoolahan got on the scoresheet too for Southampton and Norwich.

Hoolahan's goal was a screamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hoolahan's goal was a screamer.

I searched for it and you were right. :cool:

https://twitter.com/98FMsport/status/830542529296728070

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Absolute worldie of a free kick from Brady, delighted for him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I searched for it and you were right. :cool:

https://twitter.com/98FMsport/status/830542529296728070

Totally off topic but did any of ye see Johnny Howson's goal in that game?
    Class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Well all those Irish players' goals this weekend and The U17s beating Portugal softens the blow about Bale's inevitable return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I don't think that's as good a goal as whoever is in charge of the FAI twitter account thinks it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

fullstop wrote: »
    I don't think that's as good a goal as whoever is in charge of the FAI twitter account thinks it is.

Ah ffs..

noodler wrote: »
    Ah ffs..

You think that's a wonder goal?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Well all those Irish players' goals this weekend and The U17s beating Portugal softens the blow about Bale's inevitable return.
    Never mind Bale. Winning of the game is in our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

Goals galore for Irish players of late. :-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

fullstop wrote: »
    You think that's a wonder goal?!

I think it's a fine goal that lets a bunch of 18 year old Irish lads get a fine win away to Portugal.

The Twitter guy is hardly going to downplay it.

I think it's a fine goal that lets a bunch of 18 year old Irish lads get a fine win away to Portugal.

The Twitter guy is hardly going to downplay it.

Of course it's a fine goal, and fair enough when you put it like that, but i though it was over-egging it first time i read it.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Never mind Bale. Winning of the game is in our hands.

I hate this nonsense, sorry. You would want to be stupid to think we have as much a chance with Bale as without him. That isn't knocking down our own team but Bale is capable of winning a tight game on his own.

Yeah, ignore the fact that one of the top half a dozen or so players in the world isn't out as we hoped he might be! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I hate this nonsense, sorry. You would want to be stupid to think we have as much a chance with Bale as without him. That isn't knocking down our own team but Bale is capable of winning a tight game on his own.

Yeah, ignore the fact that one of the top half a dozen or so players in the world isn't out as we hoped he might be! !
    We're better than Wales with or without Bale, especially at home. Not ignoring he's likely to play but not much point fretting about it either. If we play our best game, we'll win.

We're better than Wales with or without Bale, especially at home. Not ignoring he's likely to play but not much point fretting about it either. If we play our best game, we'll win.

I think you are completely interpreting what most people thought when they heard Bale was playing, noone was fretting (to whatever degree you interpret to fret as) and noone is conceding defeat. People are just disappointed and would rather him not playing. It is a pretty logical reaction!

And we are not necessarily better than them either, at least not to not be worried about Bale!
    For you to more or less be saying we have the same chance of beating Wales with or w/o Bale is nonsense. Bale has won many many games almost on his own more or less.

We didn't look Wale's equivalent when we were being destroyed by Belgium, a team Wales have beaten in their last 2 games and a draw the other game.

I am hopeful Ireland will grab a 1-0 or 2-1 win, but I think a few people are getting ahead of themselves saying we shouldn't have to worry about Bale!

Anyway, it can't come quick enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

One great player makes a massive difference in a game between 2 teams of Wales and Irelands level.

We may well be better than them but Bale can produce moments that none of our team can.I seem to remember David Alaba having a massive influence a few campaigns ago when we played Austria and apart from him the teams were very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Horgan provided the assist for Preston's winner in their 2-1 win over Birmingham tonight. Started and played the full 90 as well.

McGeady was subbed late on and received a standing ovation once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

any word on Hogan, Bamford or the half polish guy comin into the squad for next months games ???

PTH2009 wrote: »
    any word on Hogan, Bamford or the half polish guy comin into the squad for next months games ???

All gone quiet on that front but it would be a nice surprise to get in the next few weeks if Hogan/Bamford join up.

• Advertisement

Is that the Bamford who hasn't scored in 2 years and switched to the English under 21s a few years ago?

Has he said he's switching back? I won't be buying the teeshirt...

That's him.
    Same lad was Championship POTY 2 yer as ago so plenty of talent there and it's not like we have loads of options.
    No harm asking him but doubt he's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That's him.
    Same lad was Championship POTY 2 yer as ago so plenty of talent there and it's not like we have loads of options.
    No harm asking him but doubt he's interested.

A talented striker who can't score goals. Exactly what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Only on this for first time in a few days lads but how about Bradys free kick delighted for him alot of the boys playing some quality stuff atm and hitting form the right time. Its upsetting Bale will be playing but we can still beat them just as much as they can beat us with or without Bale,theres huge pressure on them and are gunning for a win i hope and think we will go for it and not play for a draw hopefully we sneak a win but a draw woudnt be the end of the world either. Main thing here is to not lose this game and give Wales momentem

A talented striker who can't score goals. Exactly what we need.

He has barely played the last few months and still young .I wouldn't be writing him off yet.A few bad loans have set him back badly.

Top scorer in Championship 18 months ago iirc .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He has barely played the last few months and still young .I wouldn't be writing him off yet.A few bad loans have set him back badly.

Top scorer in Championship 18 months ago iirc .

Lower levels of the Championship is about his level. He was Boros top scorer, not the leagues. I'm writing him off. He's not good enough. He'll sink down the leagues now that Chelsea have released him.

Even if he is that standard ,better to have him on board that calling up the likes of Kevin Doyle. We need to find strikers asap and he certainly one option and we don't have many uncapped players playing at a higher level at the moment.
    No harm getting him on board if it doesn't work out so be it.

Even if he is that standard ,better to have him on board that calling up the likes of Kevin Doyle. We need to find strikers asap and he certainly one option and we don't have many uncapped players playing at a higher level at the moment.
    No harm getting him on board if it doesn't work out so be it.

Theres no need to be disrespectful to Doyle to make the point.

He was on board.

He jumped off. Good luck to him. I hope he has a long and successful career with England. It's bad enough crossing our fingers for those who haven't made up their mind, let's not grovel for those who have said no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

How is that being disrespectful? Doyle did well for Ireland 6 to 8 years ago but he's pushing on now, playing over in America and hasn't scored a competitive goal for Ireland in over 4yrs so yes it is about time Ireland started looking at other guys instead of calling up Doyle.

How is that being disrespectful? Doyle did well for Ireland 6 to 8 years ago but he's pushing on now, playing over in America and hasn't scored a competitive goal for Ireland in over 4yrs so yes it is about time Ireland started looking at other guys instead of calling up Doyle.

You kinda just restated the jist of the point in an extended paragraph for some reason.

Anyway, it was the "likes of Doyle" phrase I thought was a bit disrespectful. Always gave his all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

You kinda just restated the jist of the point in an extended paragraph for some reason.

Anyway, it was the "likes of Doyle" phrase I thought was a bit disrespectful. Always gave his all.

And fair play to him and on his day he was top notch for Ireland but that's well in the past and Ireland needs to build for the future.

He was very good for us for a number of years but his time has passed now.
    He offers little now,playing at a low level and not exactly lighting that up either.I cant see any reason whatsoever to have him in current squads.

And fair play to him and on his day he was top notch for Ireland but that's well in the past and Ireland needs to build for the future.

Why do you keep saying this?

Where has anybody argued he should still be called up?

You've missed the point two posts in a row.

He was very good for us for a number of years but his time has passed now.
    He offers little now,playing at a low level and not exactly lighting that up either.I cant see any reason whatsoever to have him in current squads.

Again, beside the actual point made.

Nobody is suggesting he should be called up.

• Advertisement

Again, beside the actual point made.

Nobody is suggesting he should be called up.

If you think what I said was disrespectful you must be very easily offended .

If you think what I said was disrespectful you must be very easily offended .

"The likes of" is a little disrepsectful tbh.

But whatever, point made.

It's no way disrespectful.

Off topic now so I'll leave it at that.

What do you suggest

Build him a statue,

Don't speak his name in vain?

How is that disrespecting him?

Doyle is a fan favourite for his tireless contribution during a relatively bleak period in Irish soccer but outlining the fact he doesn't merit inclusion anymore is hardly defamatory or even disrespectful. Given got the same treatment, most players do at all levels as their career peters out.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. It is Doyle's reputation and respect within the squad which is winning him the odd inclusion these days.

There was nothing critical in that statement, merely acknowledging reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

What do you suggest

Build him a statue,

Doyle is a fan favourite for his tireless contribution during a relatively bleak period in Irish soccer but outlining the fact he doesn't merit inclusion anymore is hardly defamatory or even disrespectful. Given got the same treatment, most players do at all levels as their career peters out.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. It is Doyle's reputation and respect within the squad which is winning him the odd inclusion these days.

Nail. On. Head.

No idea why the lad above thinks that's disrespectful there, Bill.

I'm not listening to this from the likes of ye..

What do you suggest

Build him a statue,

More paragraphs upon paragraphs avoiding the point.

More paragraphs upon paragraphs avoiding the point.

Avoiding what point???

Why do you find the original poster acknowledging that a player like Kevin Doyle isn't suitable for a 23 man squad anymore disrespectful?

Your faux disgust doesn't fool anyone. You already say you agree that he shouldn't form part of MON's plans, so why can't he say it? No matter what way you dress it up, it is the same thing. You would swear he was some sacred God. An honest, tireless player but hardly one for the annals of Irish soccer.

The reason the poster brought up Doyle, it is obvious, is because he is a prime example of a striker who is hanging around the squad at the moment whose reputation is keeping him around, moreso than what he can offer us in games against the likes of Austria, Wales or Serbia. He was just stating that there are better options to consider rather than just including Doyle for the sake of making up the numbers. I don't see how anyone can find that disrespectful!

Maybe add a few paragraphs yourself and attempt to make some sense instead of smartass one sentence answers!

Avoiding what point???

Why do you find the original poster acknowledging that a player like Kevin Doyle isn't suitable for a 23 man squad anymore disrespectful?

Your faux disgust doesn't fool anyone. You already say you agree that he shouldn't form part of MON's plans, so why can't he say it? No matter what way you dress it up, it is the same thing. You would swear he was some sacred God. An honest, tireless player but hardly one for the annals of Irish soccer.

The reason the poster brought up Doyle, it is obvious, is because he is a prime example of a striker who is hanging around the squad at the moment whose reputation is keeping him around, moreso than what he can offer us in games against the likes of Austria, Wales or Serbia. He was just stating that there are better options to consider rather than just including Doyle for the sake of making up the numbers. I don't see how anyone can find that disrespectful!

Maybe add a few paragraphs yourself and attempt to make some sense instead of smartass one sentence answers!

Scroll up, type less.

I'm not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

He was on board.

He jumped off. Good luck to him. I hope he has a long and successful career with England. It's bad enough crossing our fingers for those who haven't made up their mind, let's not grovel for those who have said no.

Our options up front are chronic at the moment and heavily reliant on an aging Walters. We're in a strong position in the group and should be trying to build on that position by adding strength to the squad. Bamford would make the squad better and could still become a decent player in the future.

He switched at under 21 level so I'm guessing he was like 18-19. Don't know about everyone else but I made plenty of mistakes when I was that age. No point holding a grudge against him over a bad decision. Especially if it has the potential to help the team qualify for another tournament.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement