Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

RichFTW wrote: »
    He switched at under 21 level so I'm guessing he was like 18-19. Don't know about everyone else but I made plenty of mistakes when I was that age. No point holding a grudge against him over a bad decision. Especially if it has the potential to help the team qualify for another tournament.

He represented England at U18, U19 and U21 levels, over 4 years, between 2010 and 2014. You describe that as a "bad decision"...has he?

I don't hold a grudge at all. I just regard him as someone who has very clearly decided who he wants to play for. I think I said I wished him well and hope he has a great career with his country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Kevin Doyle doesn't deserve to be in the squad. End of story.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Our options up front are chronic at the moment and heavily reliant on an aging Walters. We're in a strong position in the group and should be trying to build on that position by adding strength to the squad. Bamford would make the squad better and could still become a decent player in the future.

He switched at under 21 level so I'm guessing he was like 18-19. Don't know about everyone else but I made plenty of mistakes when I was that age. No point holding a grudge against him over a bad decision. Especially if it has the potential to help the team qualify for another tournament.

I don't think anyone holds a grudge against players like that just we don't need to fill the team up with people who clearly aren't massively into the idea of playing for Ireland.I'd rather play a lesser player who was 100% committed than a player who is less than 100% committed to teh country.Lots of our players play above their usual level when they put on an Irish jersey because of what playing for Ireland means to them.

In reality the rules should be changed so that a player has to make their decision by age 17 or 18 and you can't change after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Kevin Doyle doesn't deserve to be in the squad. End of story.

Well, thats true.

You'd be preaching to the converted around here on that though - never seen anyone argue otherwise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

moreso than what he can offer us in games against the likes of Austria, Wales or Serbia. !

That's extremely disrespectful to Austria, Wales and Serbia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Burnley lost to non-league Lincoln in the FA Cup, but it looks like all 3 Irish lads were rested for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Burnley lost to non-league Lincoln in the FA Cup, but it looks like all 3 Irish lads were rested for it

Brady was cup tied.
    Hendrick suspended.
    Ward on bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

He represented England at U18, U19 and U21 levels, over 4 years, between 2010 and 2014. You describe that as a "bad decision"...has he?

I don't hold a grudge at all. I just regard him as someone who has very clearly decided who he wants to play for. I think I said I wished him well and hope he has a great career with his country.

Ya I'm saying the initial decision to switch was the bad decision. He is English so it shouldn't have been too much of surprise to find out he wanted to play for England. It would be harder for him to come back with his tail between his legs after switching so I don't think we should be ruling him out on our side just to prove a point.
    I don't think anyone holds a grudge against players like that just we don't need to fill the team up with people who clearly aren't massively into the idea of playing for Ireland.I'd rather play a lesser player who was 100% committed than a player who is less than 100% committed to teh country.Lots of our players play above their usual level when they put on an Irish jersey because of what playing for Ireland means to them.

In reality the rules should be changed so that a player has to make their decision by age 17 or 18 and you can't change after that.

Ideally we should only select those who want to play for Ireland first but our options are so limited up front so I think we should try and get anyone who strengthens the squad. I'm not saying go beg him to play, but at least leave the door open for him to be selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

RichFTW wrote:
    Ideally we should only select those who want to play for Ireland first but our options are so limited up front so I think we should try and get anyone who strengthens the squad.

No, no, no. Absolutely not. The core ethos of our teams has always been the never-say-die spirit of the unit. I don't want that diluted by bringing in half-hearted big-time Charlies from the Championship. The f*cking Championship.

This is really not a complicated issue. We extend an invitation to a player to join us for a crucial qualification match; if they hem and haw, tell us they have to speak with their agent, tell us they have to get back to us in 6 months etc., then they aren't committed enough and we move on.

I do not want us to demean ourselves by trying to coax ambivalent Plastic Paddies. I would rather play Kevin Doyle into his forties than deal with a guy who tries to fit playing for Ireland into his busy schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Bale came on for 20 mins today and scored.

• Advertisement

Seeing as we are so short up front, why has Paddy Madden not been involved.I know league one is not the standard you would want to be getting players from but you'd think he'd be worth a shot considering how short on strikers we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Bale came on for 20 mins today and scored.

Ah sure, apparently we face the same battle/chance with or without him in the team......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Ah sure, apparently we face the same battle/chance with or without him in the team......:rolleyes:

Yeah because when we play Wales in March they'll also have Ronaldo, Isco, Kroos and James Rodriguez lining out for them too......:rolleyes:

Yeah because when we play Wales in March they'll also have Ronaldo, Isco, Kroos and James Rodriguez lining out for them too......:rolleyes:

ah, so that is why Bale appears to be a decent player! What does that even mean!

1 player of that level makes such a difference in a close tie between 2 teams of Ireland Wales level.He can win a match on his own and we don't really have a player like that.

David Alaba made a huge difference a few campaigns ago for Austria against us.

1 player of that level makes such a difference in a close tie between 2 teams of Ireland Wales level.He can win a match on his own and we don't really have a player like that.

David Alaba made a huge difference a few campaigns ago for Austria against us.

Much like Roy Keane, whether people believe it or not, was the difference between us qualifying and not qualifying for 2002. And we even had more than a very solid team back then.

No, no, no. Absolutely not. The core ethos of our teams has always been the never-say-die spirit of the unit. I don't want that diluted by bringing in half-hearted big-time Charlies from the Championship. The f*cking Championship.

This is really not a complicated issue. We extend an invitation to a player to join us for a crucial qualification match; if they hem and haw, tell us they have to speak with their agent, tell us they have to get back to us in 6 months etc., then they aren't committed enough and we move on.

I do not want us to demean ourselves by trying to coax ambivalent Plastic Paddies. I would rather play Kevin Doyle into his forties than deal with a guy who tries to fit playing for Ireland into his busy schedule.

We don't have the player pool to take the moral high ground if we want to keep qualifying for major tournaments. Especially with nearly all of our forwards being 30 or over. Bamford has already played underage for Ireland and has said it was a tough decision to switch to England so it's not like he doesn't have any connection towards Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We don't have the player pool to take the moral high ground if we want to keep qualifying for major tournaments. Especially with nearly all of our forwards being 30 or over. Bamford has already played underage for Ireland and has said it was a tough decision to switch to England so it's not like he doesn't have any connection towards Ireland.

Ugh, I find this such a terrible attitude. You are desperate to get a player who chose NOT to play for us. I don't care how tough the decision was, or whether he wept about it while stroking a photo of Michael Collins; he made his call.

Things are really not so bad that we need to demean ourselves by going around begging for players. We have to make the most of the players we do have. What would it do to player morale to see management canvassing for players? And can you be sure those players are going to be there for us when needed, or will they pull out with a convenient injury? Our strength has always been using the spirit of the collective, which is built on total commitment.

Keep in mind btw that Hal Robson-Kanu scored that great goal for Wales at the Euros while he was unattached to a club. It's not the profile of the player that counts, it's the passion and sense of purpose.

Bamford has already played underage for Ireland and has said it was a tough decision to switch to England so it's not like he doesn't have any connection towards Ireland.

It was so tough, so very tough, 4 years of hardship while he chose to play for the country of his birth, my God the man went through the 7 circles of Hell. Anyway, has he actually said how much he got it wrong and worn sackcloth and ashes...or are we supposed to grovel to get a player who has scored 0 (as in zero, as in nul) goals over the past 2 years back.. I hope the FAI invest no more than €9.99 in phone calls in the effort, anything more and I'd think that's money that could be invested in Irish football...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Jaysus lads mentioning begging and grovelling to players. Bit over the top ?

I would hope any player who is eligible to play for us is contacted by FAI and is asked.Simple as that
    When it's a senior player then MON can get on the case but ask a fella and it's a yes or no answer. If it's a no then move on.

I really doubt our management team are going to be begging lads to play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Jaysus lads mentioning begging and grovelling to players. Bit over the top ?

I would hope any player who is eligible to play for us is contacted by FAI and is asked.Simple as that
    When it's a senior player then MON can get on the case but ask a fella and it's a yes or no answer. If it's a no then move on.

I really doubt our management team are going to be begging lads to play.

I'm not sure about that.Far too often the granny route and asking players to play for us seems to be our first option.

Players should have to ask to play for us not the other way around.

Ugh, I find this such a terrible attitude. You are desperate to get a player who chose NOT to play for us. I don't care how tough the decision was, or whether he wept about it while stroking a photo of Michael Collins; he made his call.

Things are really not so bad that we need to demean ourselves by going around begging for players. We have to make the most of the players we do have. What would it do to player morale to see management canvassing for players? And can you be sure those players are going to be there for us when needed, or will they pull out with a convenient injury? Our strength has always been using the spirit of the collective, which is built on total commitment.

Keep in mind btw that Hal Robson-Kanu scored that great goal for Wales at the Euros while he was unattached to a club. It's not the profile of the player that counts, it's the passion and sense of purpose.

And I find the attitude of thinking we are too proud to make a decision that would benefit the team terrible. It's like a mix of a stubborn old man and a 12 year old girl trying to save face with the click attitude. The better option for an English born player is nearly always going to be play for England. If anything it shows ambition to want to play for the bigger team!

The current back up strikers are not good enough. Passion is great to have but will normally lead to no end product without talent. If they are good enough, they will keep any players brought into the squad out of the team. But they are not so we have to look at our options which is to bring in whoever qualifies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I understand we're struggling for strikers, but choosing one who hasn't scored since 2015 and would prefer to represent England is bizarre.

And I find the attitude of thinking we are too proud to make a decision that would benefit the team terrible. It's like a mix of a stubborn old man and a 12 year old girl trying to save face with the click attitude. The better option for an English born player is nearly always going to be play for England. If anything it shows ambition to want to play for the bigger team!

The current back up strikers are not good enough. Passion is great to have but will normally lead to no end product without talent. If they are good enough, they will keep any players brought into the squad out of the team. But they are not so we have to look at our options which is to bring in whoever qualifies.

This is not club football.

International football is about more than just winning.

Mushy wrote: »
    I understand we're struggling for strikers, but choosing one who hasn't scored since 2015 and would prefer to represent England is bizarre.

He is 23 and could still find the form he had with Middlesbrough before. He is still a better option than McGoldrick, Doyle, Cox, Stokes and Murphy.

Anyway my points relate to any striker that qualifies. Especially the ones scoring regularly that I won't mention in case this thread blows up :pac:

He is 23 and could still find the form he had with Middlesbrough before. He is still a better option than McGoldrick, Doyle, Cox, Stokes and Murphy.

Possibly...but they want to play for Ireland. Which has to be factored in. I mean, one could point out that Lukaku is a great young striker...but it's of no relevance to Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Possibly...but they want to play for Ireland. Which has to be factored in. I mean, one could point out that Lukaku is a great young striker...but it's of no relevance to Ireland...

Seemed very relevant when we met in Euro 2016!

sugarman wrote: »
    How, do you mind me asking?

Age for a start. Bamford is 23 (24 in September). Murphy is 33 and will be 34 in about 3 weeks. Nearly all our strikers are 30 or over so we need to start thinking for the future. It would be great if we had the local player pool to fill these spots to a high level but we don't so should be looking to strengthen through other means. Otherwise we'll just get left behind at home every time a new tournament is on.
    sugarman wrote: »
    Murphy scored 27 goals in the 14/15 season, 10 in an injury plagued, stop start 15/16 and has now, only in the last month made his Newcastle debut and scored 4 goal in as many games.

Bamford had a good 14/15 season as well. One of those 4 goals you mentioned was against the West Brom u-23s. The 2 goals he scored in the league were in mid January. In the four league games since then, he either hasn't scored, didn't get a game or didn't make the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Age for a start. Bamford is 23 (24 in September). Murphy is 33 and will be 34 in about 3 weeks. Nearly all our strikers are 30 or over so we need to start thinking for the future. It would be great if we had the local player pool to fill these spots to a high level but we don't so should be looking to strengthen through other means. Otherwise we'll just get left behind at home every time a new tournament is on.

Bamford had a good 14/15 season as well. One of those 4 goals you mentioned was against the West Brom u-23s. The 2 goals he scored in the league were in mid January. In the four league games since then, he either hasn't scored, didn't get a game or didn't make the squad.

Bamford turned his back on us after playing for Ireland underage, we should have a bit of pride and work with what we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Scott Hogan has done himself a mischief this evening again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dots1982 wrote: »

Who's Scott Hogan?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Bamford turned his back on us after playing for Ireland underage, we should have a bit of pride and work with what we have.

What do we have to work with so?

We should be fine for this campaign but what do we do when all that is left is a bunch of 32+ year olds who weren't that prolific in their prime but are now the only option.

Our midfield is shaping us nicely. Having someone good enough to consistently finish the chances they will create would move us to another level I think.

What do we have to work with so?

We should be fine for this campaign but what do we do when all that is left is a bunch of 32+ year olds who weren't that prolific in their prime but are now the only option.

Our midfield is shaping us nicely. Having someone good enough to consistently finish the chances they will create would move us to another level I think.

The players who want to play for Ireland that are in the squad.They may not be brilliant but that's the great thing about the international game you have to put up with what you have.

Could do no worse than giving someone like Sean Maguire a run out against Iceland, he's been involved with the 21s last season and would be eager to take any opportunity he'd be given to impress.

• Advertisement

Could do no worse than giving someone like Sean Maguire a run out against Iceland, he's been involved with the 21s last season and would be eager to take any opportunity he'd be given to impress.

Jaysus, if MON tuned into this thread he would be considering giving 4 dozen players a run out at this stage!! I think we need to get realistic with the extent of players we use in these decent friendlies (ie not Oman) also in the middle of a qualifying camain. There are players on the fringe of the FIRST team that need a runnout more than just handing out debuts willy nilly because they happen to be Irish. Of course players will pop up here and there that have only recently impressed at club level it's nb to see them ASAP but for the most I wouldn't look beyond the main group of players, some of whom never get any pitch time in competitive games but could be vital if an injury pops up, we have established in the squad for the campaign.

Just my opinion though.

Jaysus, if MON tuned into this thread he would be considering giving 4 dozen players a run out at this stage!! I think we need to get realistic with the extent of players we use in these decent friendlies (ie not Oman) also in the middle of a qualifying camain. There are players on the fringe of the FIRST team that need a runnout more than just handing out debuts willy nilly because they happen to be Irish. Of course players will pop up here and there that have only recently impressed at club level it's nb to see them ASAP but for the most I wouldn't look beyond the main group of players, some of whom never get any pitch time in competitive games but could be vital if an injury pops up, we have established in the squad for the campaign.

Just my opinion though.

So basically Kevin Doyle, wouldn't be surprised to see Paul Green get a call up at this stage incase the midfield needs a bit of experience or the great Keano incase we have an injury crises up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Dots1982 wrote: »

It's his ankle so not the knee again at least.

Yeah, think Maguire worth a call up for a friendly alright, see how he mixes with the cross channel players.

Just my opinion though.

So basically Kevin Doyle, wouldn't be surprised to see Paul Green get a call up at this stage incase the midfield needs a bit of experience or the great Keano incase we have an injury crises up front.

God loves a trier but, alas, that attempt at sarcasm didn't quiet make the cut.. there are plenty of players in our 23 man squads and 5 or 6 that are in and out of the squad over the last year and half that I'm pinpointing that barely get a chance that it is more important to give minutes to but if you want to play smart@ss I'm out.

• Advertisement

Saying that I do think Maguire is worth considering, my point was a general point about the trend over the last few months of calls for anyone with an Irish passport playing abroad (before you say it I do know Maguire plays for Cork) to be considered for this Iceland game. I am just saying that I think MON will have other plans for who needs a runout more so so don't expect an influx of debuts

God loves a trier but, alas, that attempt at sarcasm didn't quiet make the cut.. there are plenty of players in our 23 man squads and 5 or 6 that are in and out of the squad over the last year and half that I'm pinpointing that barely get a chance that it is more important to give minutes to but if you want to play smart@ss I'm out.

Oh I wasn't playing smart arse apart from Keane, Doyle will probably start again in March against Iceland like he did against Switzerland last March and Green will more than likely get a call up to the squad like last year.

Ireland have another friendly in June a week before Austria, use that to give lads who are in the 23 some competitive minutes to get a better judge of them closer to a competitive game and throw in some talented youngsters, those who are just overage for the 21s.

Westwood
    Christie- Egan- Duffy/Clarke- Cunningham
    Myler- Forrester
    McGeady - Arter- Horgan
    Maguire

That would be a team that has a mix of experience and fresh blood who would still be competitive. Players in Christie and Myler who have impressed anytime they played and deserve a start, Arter who has only four caps but very impressive at club level as has Cunningham , McGeady is experienced but hasn't started for Ireland in awhile but has really showed good form at club level, Horgan and Forrester are two of the best talents to come out of the loi in years and taken to club football in england like a duck to water and deserve their chance. Maguire and Egan are only in there cause couldnt think of anyone else, could put McGoldrick or Rooney up front and Egan was impressive at the start of the season.

Also might be going to the Iceland game so would like to see some ballers like Horgan, Forrester, Arter and even Alan Judge if he's fit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Callum Robinson, the good young striker for Preston is eligible. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Callum Robinson, the good young striker for Preston is eligible. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Is it him or Mahoney that has already said they have no interest representing us ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

yabadabado wrote: »
    Is it him or Mahoney that has already said they have no interest representing us ?

It was Connor Mahoney that said he is going to wait for England and good luck to him with that. I presume he'll be on to us in a few years when the obvious does not happen for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

A bit brainless. Only young though so I wouldn't completely rule him out of developing under a good coach.

Highly rated Northern Ireland u16s youngster Jordan McEneff has made the switch to the Republic and scored the winner on his debut in the 1-0 win against Hungry last night, he's also on the books with Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

Highly rated Northern Ireland u16s youngster Jordan McEneff has made the switch to the Republic and scored the winner on his debut in the 1-0 win against Hungry last night, he's also on the books with Arsenal.

Striker?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I think he is a number ten and the two brothers are centre midfielders?
    Know little about them but he is meant to be the best prospect.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement