Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Worztron wrote: »
    Striker?

As yabadabadoo said he's a playmaker who operates in that number ten role. He'll get a good footballing education so will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Highly rated Northern Ireland u16s youngster Jordan McEneff has made the switch to the Republic and scored the winner on his debut in the 1-0 win against Hungry last night, he's also on the books with Arsenal.

In before somebody says we should give him a run-out against Iceland.....:pac:

In before somebody says we should give him a run-out against Iceland.....:pac:

Why not? Tie him down so he can't change his mind :D

(This post is sarcastic before someone gets the hump about giving away caps willy nilly to anyone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Very unlikely but not out of the realms of possibility that MON heads back to Leicester and Keane takes the reign. ...thoughts?

Again unlikely and hopefully not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

MON hasn't walked out in the middle of a job before, and I don't think he's gonna start now

MON hasn't walked out in the middle of a job before, and I don't think he's gonna start now

;) Not exactly true.........he left Wycombe for a better offer, left Norwich after a row with the chairman, left Celtic (understandably) as his wife had cancer, left Villa a few days before the season started due to sufficient funds not being given to him to bolster the squad which was the beginning of the end for them.............so, eh, yeah, he does have a bit of form!!

I think he will see out this campaign with Ireland, I hope so anyway but it wouldn't be a shock if a big offer came his way from a club he has such history with.

Possible World Cup with Ireland, securing his legacy as up there with Charlton, possible relegation with Leicester, and a legacy of the man who took the title winners down. Unless he's starving for money, it shouldn't be a hard choice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Isn't Roberto Mancini the favourite to take them over? I know the "favouite" tag means nothing when it comes to next manager odds, but at the very least it reminds people that there are other managers out there that they are considering. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Wilberto wrote: »
    Isn't Roberto Mancini the favourite to take them over? I know the "favouite" tag means nothing when it comes to next manager odds, but at the very least it reminds people that there are other managers out there that they are considering. :)

Sky saying he isn't keen. I can actually see Pearson getting the job again which would be ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Redo91 wrote: »
    Sky saying he isn't keen. I can actually see Pearson getting the job again which would be ridiculous.

Rumours during the week that the players surged against ranieri and wanted Pearson back which would be nuts.

Alan Pardew, Gary Rowett, Michael Laudrup and Frank de Boer all in the running apparently.

Sounds to me like nobody really knows.

I'd be totally against O'Neill taking it, even temporarily because we have some seriously important games coming up. Don't need anyone distracted for those.

Rumours during the week that the players surged against ranieri and wanted Pearson back which would be nuts.

Alan Pardew, Gary Rowett, Michael Laudrup and Frank de Boer all in the running apparently.

Sounds to me like nobody really knows.

I'd be totally against O'Neill taking it, even temporarily because we have some seriously important games coming up. Don't need anyone distracted for those.

Eh, if O'Neill would be taking it, he wouldn't have any commitment to the Irish team, nul, nil, gone., especially considering the plight that Leicester are in so, eh, yeah, I would imagine, unless you are a Leicester, a Welsh, Austrian, Serbian fan etc, you would be against him taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

4 Irish in the Preston starting 11 today, with Boyle also on the bench. Good to see, another goal for McGeady too.

Great finish by McGeady. Having his own Goal of The Month competition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There's a case to be made for him starting the next game in this form.

Great to have options.

Nice to see Brad's set piece prowess making a contribution today as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

noodler wrote: »
    There's a case to be made for him starting the next game in this form.

Great to have options.

Nice to see Brad's set piece prowess making a contribution today as well.

McGeady shouldn't be in the squad, never mind starting. He's has numerous chances. Not good enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

McGeady shouldn't be in the squad, never mind starting. He's has numerous chances. Not good enough

Bizarre post.

Clearly good enough.

I'll grant you a period from late 2014 after the Georgia wonder goal when he was out of the Irish setup but he has quite clearly found form again.

Theres a general thought on this thread that a player should be called up or played at least partly due to club form, I don't see why that shouldn't include McGeady.

Bizarre post.

Clearly good enough.

I'll grant you a period from late 2014 after the Georgia wonder goal when he was out of the Irish setup but he has quite clearly found form again.

Theres a general thought on this thread that a player should be called up or played at least partly due to club form, I don't see why that shouldn't include McGeady.

Don't mind him, looking for a reaction! McGeady is a certainty at the minute..

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Looks like Bale injured his ankle again. No word yet on how serious it is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

McGeady's in great form right now. Not only will he be in the squad, he might start v Wales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Idiotic post.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can't see McGeady starting against Wales barring injury. Could well be a good option off the bench though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Looks like Bale injured his ankle again. No word yet on how serious it is

Any more word on this?

As much as I don't like to see players injured, it'd be great news if he was unavailable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Any more word on this?

As much as I don't like to see players injured, it'd be great news if he was unavailable

Zidane said it was just a knock nothing serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Not his biggest fan by any stretch but a fit motivated McGeady is a different proposition to what we last watched in a green jersey.

Given our lack of attacking options and what he can bring to us as a sub i think it would be madness not to have him in the squad.

I think some people are forgetting K Doyle made out last competitive squad!

Well with Walters most probably out and Brady, out of course, we are left with Aiden McGeady James McClean, Jeff Hendrick , Glenn Whelan Harry Arter Eunan O'Kane (in good form), David Meyler Stephen Gleeson, Wes Hoolahan , Callum O'Dowda, Jonathan Hayes,Daryl Horgan, McCarthy, Quinn,
    I know I may be missing a couple of arguable entries here and possibly even an obvious one but I could easily see McGeady in that starting 11. Wouldn't be surprised if he isn't either but the more I contemplate it, the more it seems a wise choice.

It is 5 players out of the 7 highlighted, McGeady and McCarthy probably being the ones to lose out. Horgan/McGeady impact subs?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Trond wrote: »
    Not his biggest fan by any stretch but a fit motivated McGeady is a different proposition to what we last watched in a green jersey.

Given our lack of attacking options and what he can bring to us as a sub i think it would be madness not to have him in the squad.

Careful. Some people might think you're disrespecting Doyle.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Trond wrote: »

Careful. Some people might think you're disrespecting Doyle.

What do you mean some people..."The likes of who" would make such an insinuation. ......

Pshh.

Go on pretending "the likes of" is not regularly used in a negative context.

McGeady will make it. Squad depth in midfield and wide pales in comparison to other areas of the pitch.

Pshh.

Go on pretending "the likes of" is not regularly used in a negative context.

"Pretending" :D:D:D It is all a mass conspiracy!

https://twitter.com/search?q=the%20likes%20of%20messi&src=typd

https://twitter.com/search?q=likes%20of%20kevin%20doyle&src=typd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The likes of Mcgeady and Horgan could be good impact subs should they be needed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

A possible team for me would be:

Randolph
    Coleman Clark Duffy Ward
    McCarthy
    Hendrick Arter
    Hoolahan McClean
    Long

Can see McGeady being an impact sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Stevecw wrote: »
    A possible team for me would be:

Randolph
    Coleman Clark Duffy Ward
    McCarthy
    Hendrick Arter
    Hoolahan
    Long

Can see McGeady & McClean being impact subs. Think McCleans lack of games recently might go against him.

You're one short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    You're one short.

It's the old rope a dope, play the first half with ten men and then in the second half bring on an eleventh and it'll seem like an extra man.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    You're one short.
    Yep copped onto that, was wondering how I had somehow had come up with a team where McClean couldn't get in. Was trying to make excuses for him & all!

It's the old rope a dope, play the first half with ten men and then in the second half bring on an eleventh and it'll seem like an extra man.
    Ha, I was hoping it'd be like what Spain got away with in the 2002 World Cup where we never managed to notice they played with 10 men in extra time!

McClean will be one of the first men on the team sheet regardless!

Dodgey one for me.

Has he started for WBA in the last three months?

Certainly hasn't made any impact.

Horgan, and McGeady in particular, are in v. Good form and playing regularly.

He had a pretty good game in Vienna but seen little gametime since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dodgey one for me.

Has he started for WBA in the last three months?

Certainly hasn't made any impact.

Horgan, and McGeady in particular, are in v. Good form and playing regularly.

He had a pretty good game in Vienna but seen little gametime since.

As much as I'm not a huge McLean fan, he's earned a start tbh. Same way that Mcgeady has earned his place in the squad (he infuriates me no end).

Hopefully Horgan gets in, he appears to have settled down well in Preston!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

McLean is getting game time coming off the bench. He has to start imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Meh, he is getting enough game time for WB, involved in every game so is plenty match fit playing in the Premier League for a squad probably guaranteed top 10 placing. He has been our star player and with Walters and Brady out, it would be insane to leave out such an aggressive attacking player. Never mind calling it "dodgey" to play him!

Do you share the same sentiments about Long? Or did you feel Randolph shouldn't be our No. 1 last season? Even the top international teams have players who don't start at their clubs.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    McLean is getting game time coming off the bench. He has to start imo.

If it was in Wales I'd start McClean no doubt, he'd get in their faces from the start and put in some strong challenges but I think he'd be a better impact sub than McGeady.

Think McGeady plays better when starting and I couldnt think of anyone better than McClean to bring on with 20 to 30 mins left when he's full of energy and Wales are tiring.

Could play them both also like

Hendricks- Arter
    McGeady - Wes - McClean
    Long

Meh, he is getting enough game time for WB, involved in every game so is plenty match fit playing in the Premier League for a squad probably guaranteed top 10 placing. He has been our star player and with Walters and Brady out, it would be insane to leave out such an aggressive attacking player. Never mind calling it "dodgey" to play him!

Do you share the same sentiments about Long? Or did you feel Randolph shouldn't be our No. 1 last season? Even the top international teams have players who don't start at their clubs.

You are a huge McClean fan but take it easy.

We have no backup for Long and Randolph is a goalkeeper.

Its hardly unreasonable to discuss a winger who doesn't seem to have started a game for his club in 4/5 months (I haven't looked it up, he just seems to be on the bench every week I check and doesn't seem to be making any goals/assist impact as a sub). Particularly when we have two in really good form even if a division below.

I admit McClean has come good the last two games. Albeit one of them being Moldova (but someone had to take the responsibility there).

You are a huge McClean fan but take it easy.

We have no backup for Long and Randolph is a goalkeeper.

Its hardly unreasonable to discuss a winger who doesn't seem to have started a game for his club in 4/5 months (I haven't looked it up, he just seems to be on the bench every week I check and doesn't seem to be making any goals/assist impact as a sub). Particularly when we have two in really good form even if a division below.

I admit McClean has come good the last two games. Albeit one of them being Moldova (but someone had to take the responsibility there).

Don't we have "the likes of Doyle"? :D:D

Ps, I am not this huge fan of McClean as in I don't think he is one for the annals of Irish soccer, but I know full well he should be in that team!

• Advertisement

Don't we have "the likes of Doyle"? :D:D

Ps, I am not this huge fan of McClean as in I don't think he is one for the annals of Irish soccer, but I know full well he should be in that team!

I dunno.

McGeady and Horgan are. More talented. It's just the graft and application McGeady has missed in recent times years and the seems to be back.

McClean will likely start based on his last few international games and MON loyalty. I just hope his lack of serious gametime in the last few months the doesn't come back to bite us.

Brady setpieces are the big loss.

Already made two major impacts for Burnley on that score.

I dunno.

McGeady and Horgan are. More talented. It's just the graft and application McGeady has missed in recent times years and the seems to be back.

McClean will likely start based on his last few international games and MON loyalty. I just hope his lack of serious gametime in the last few months the doesn't come back to bite us.

Bale
    Ramsey
    Robson Kanu
    Vokes

See a trend here.........

Bale
    Ramsey
    Robson Kanu
    Vokes

See a trend here.........

Do you know what an outlier is?

Well I done both Business Mathematics as part of my University degree and Honours maths in school so if I don't Its a few years wasted! But, go on, tell me why I can't include all of these players in the same sample?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement