Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Conor Hourihane is another man that is worthy of the squad with form of late, scored tonight I see! Spoilt for choice in midfield!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Conor Hourihane is another man that is worthy of the squad with form of late, scored tonight I see! Spoilt for choice in midfield!

Plenty of friendlies coming up so can see him getting capped soon enough, another one announced for June 1st in the US against Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bale
    Ramsey
    Robson Kanu
    Vokes

See a trend here.........

I'm going to disregard one of the best players in the world for a moment.

But do you really think Wales would play Robson Kanu or Vokes if they had similar quality players playing regularly?

The Belgium game was an outlier. Robson Kanu and Vokes have pretty below average records for Wales.

The real reason for the outlier point was simply that there the vast majority of players lack match sharpness and fitness without games and naming a handful doesn't really change that.

noodler wrote: »
    I'm going to disregard one of the best players in the world for a moment.

But do you really think Wales would play Robson Kanu or Vokes if they had similar quality players playing regularly?

The Belgium game was an outlier. Robson Kanu and Vokes have pretty below average records for Wales.

The real reason for the outlier point was simply that there the vast majority of players lack match sharpness and fitness without games and naming a handful doesn't really change that.

But we also rely on at least one similar busting attacking midfielder along the lines of Walters and McClean in our team, especially if we have the likes of Wes and static midfielders like Whelan/McCarthy occupying at least 2 spaces in midfield. Never mind the fact that Brady is out. So can you give me some better alternatives to McClean in this role, who is plenty match fit and has been a constant in our starting 11.

But we also rely on at least one similar busting attacking midfielder along the lines of Walters and McClean in our team, especially if we have the likes of Wes and static midfielders like Whelan/McCarthy occupying at least 2 spaces in midfield. Never mind the fact that Brady is out. So can you give me some better alternatives to McClean in this role, who is plenty match fit and has been a constant in our starting 11.

Constant recently.

I didn't say drop McClean. You are jumping to (defensive) conclusions again.

I worry how much he he'll have in the tank after months without regular bouts of football is all.

Im delighted to have three solid options out wide even with Brady and Walters out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

It will be interesting to see how he gets on. He is 28 now so the next few years should in theory be his peak career years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39144700

Nice story about Patrick O'Connell, "Don Patricio"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Mark Hughes confirmed Walters is fit and available for selection for tomorrow's game v Boro.

A big boost for us to have him back for the Wales game,3 weeks and 3 league games before international break.Hopefully he gets plenty of playing time and is match fit .

Need that ar$e in the 89th minute at the corner flag protecting that 1-0 lead

• Advertisement

Fecking Bale getting himself suspended for Madrid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

noodler wrote:

It just means he'll be rusty when he plays against us! #thinkpositive #clutchingatstraws

:pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any word if Robbie Keane is continuing to play? Would love to see him play a season in the league of Ireland.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Wilberto wrote: »
    It just means he'll be rusty when he plays against us! #thinkpositive #clutchingatstraws

:pac: :pac:

Ha, scored within a few minutes of his first game back after injury layout! Think Bale, sadly, doesn't do rusty!!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Arter really has to start against Wales. Good game today, great technically and a fantastic engine.

Duff wrote: »
    Arter really has to start against Wales. Good game today, great technically and a fantastic engine.

Decent game but lucky to not get sent off.

I hope he starts brings a lot on energy into CM.

Lot of energy but I actually thought he was really poor, especially with the ball.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I only caught the second half, but I thought he'd a decent game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Lot of energy but I actually thought he was really poor, especially with the ball.

He played the most passes of any Bournemouth player.
    5 misplaced passes I thought he moved it around well myself.
    Think he's a very tidy player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

Any word if Robbie Keane is continuing to play? Would love to see him play a season in the league of Ireland.

That would be fitting alright for him to wrap up his playing career in Ireland.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Good to see Jonny Walters back, hopefully he'll get some game time before the Wales match.

Patww79 wrote: »

exactly, if that was McGeady, Long, Whelan etc so out of form they would be crucified here. But Arter is the golden boy. I still want him starting, nonetheless

noodler wrote: »
    Very indisciplined stuff from him, a ridiculous red card.
    We'll need to have our best wind-up merchant marking him.

Shane Duffy out : ( (broken metatarsal )

• Advertisement

Keogh out again after 105 consecutive league appearances (yes you heard that right..... I think!!) So JOSH back in again I envisage.

JOSH and Clark then, I suppose

Who else do we have?
    Marc Wilson perhaps, but he's not getting game time.

Has Boyle been getting game time at Preston ?

JOSH and Clark then, I suppose

Who else do we have?
    Marc Wilson perhaps, but he's not getting game time.

Has Boyle been getting game time at Preston ?

Hasn't played a game yet for Preston

There is a chance keogh could be back all the same. He'd be well able to recover also considering he is a very tough non-injury prone fella

There is a chance keogh could be back all the same. He'd be well able to recover also considering he is a very tough non-injury prone fella

• Advertisement

Keogh out again after 105 consecutive league appearances (yes you heard that right..... I think!!) So JOSH back in again I envisage.

That is some run of games. OShea in wouldn't be the worst change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

When I first heard Duffy was out injured I didn't think it was a major loss, but having him and Keogh both out isn't good news. It will be O'Shea & Clarke provided they don't get injured in the meantime. Who does this mean will be called into the squad as back ups? McShane, Boyle, Wilson? Feel like I am forgetting someone..

When I first heard Duffy was out injured I didn't think it was a major loss, but having him and Keogh both out isn't good news. It will be O'Shea & Clarke provided they don't get injured in the meantime. Who does this mean will be called into the squad as back ups? McShane, Boyle, Wilson? Feel like I am forgetting someone..

Boyle is still waiting to make his first appearance for Preston. He'll be loaned out in the summer but wouldnt be surprised to see him back in Ireland soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Alex Pearce?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

John Egan must be coming into the frame along with those names too.

I'd be inclined to go for Wilson ahead of Pearce, McShane, Boyle or anyone else.
    Although he's not playing regularly, he does at least have a lot of international experience to call on.

McShane is never the answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

John Egan. That was the one I was forgetting, although Alex Pearce has been in a good few squads over the past few years. I'd be selecting O'Shea, Clarke, Wilson & Egan as the four centre halves in the squad if I was in charge.

Andy Boyle makes his debut tonight for Preston.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Bale and Ramsay both start in cl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Good to see Boyle start, but think Egan deserves a call up a lot more for the Wales game.
    On a worrying note I see Wes Hoolahan is not even on the Norwich bench tonight for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Stevecw wrote: »
    Good to see Boyle start, but think Egan deserves a call up a lot more for the Wales game.
    On a worrying note I see Wes Hoolahan is not even on the Norwich bench tonight for some reason.

Wes is most likely just rested according to a Norwich supporting mate of mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Wes is most likely just rested according to a Norwich supporting mate of mine

Ok hopefully that's true so, but bit strange by Norwich. Only drew tonight so now 9 points off playoffs. Without Brady just need to know we still have at least 1 creative player v Wales left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Andy Boyle deserves to be called into the squad again he was outstanding in Dundalks Champions League campaign and in the Group stages of the Europa League, good to see him play full 90 minutes for Preston North End against Derby County tonight.
    Richie Towell got a run with Brighton, hes a quality player and will make the breakthrough and play for Ireland.
    However the really brave decision would be to put Patrick McEleney of Dundalk and Sean Maguire of Cork City in the squad both are pure class.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Andy Boyle deserves to be called into the squad again he was outstanding in Dundalks Champions League campaign and in the Group stages of the Europa League, good to see him play full 90 minutes for Preston North End against Derby County tonight.
    Richie Towell got a run with Brighton, hes a quality player and will make the breakthrough and play for Ireland.
    However the really brave decision would be to put Patrick McEleney of Dundalk and Sean Maguire of Cork City in the squad both are pure class.

Wouldn't do any harm to see Maguire against Iceland.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Robbie Keane training with Shamrock Rovers
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0308/858005-robbie-keane-training-with-shamrock-rovers/

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

While he's visiting his ma

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Robbie Keane training with Shamrock Rovers
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0308/858005-robbie-keane-training-with-shamrock-rovers/

Nothing to see. He's merely there for a few days

Nothing to see. He's merely there for a few days

Who knows for sure?

Hard to see where he goes from here.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

I'm sure there are plenty of places where he can pick up a decent wage.That mightnt be high on his list of priorities but would playing LoI be either ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement