Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Deedsie wrote: »
    But the team will be changed I would imagine? Randolph only played ~45 mins the other night though it felt like about six hours :-) long also only played 40 mins

Wilson, Whelan and Coleman could all be back in potentially, Long back on the bench until half time? Will Robbie get 45 minutes? I'm not saying he should but in a game we have nothing to lose and if we do grab a goal it will rightly put the ****s up the Polish? They are the ones with something to lose as it stands? Presumably McClean will be brought on? The starting team will be very interesting.

What substance has there been from McClean in an Irish shirt so far? He was hyped up when he came in, but it's felt like he has since fallen short of expectations. I may be wrong in my recollections, though. McGeady has, at least, nabbed a couple of absolutely crucial goals v. Georgia at the start of the campaign to make up for all the mazey runs to nothing in the past.

McCarthy played a good game v. Germany and warrants at least a look-in to start v. Poland. He's got good qualities as a defensive midfielder, plus he looks to have more about him than Whelan on the ball. Problem seems to be that there can be instances where he looks like he doesn't really want to know.

On the basis of the performance v. Germany, there's a case for each player in that game to get another start, but I believe that a few played above their normal ability that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's a great situation to be in.

An 0-0 or a 1-1 is as bad as a 1-0 loss or a 5-0 loss, so they have to go and get a few goals, get two or more and you know Poland need to win.

And if it all falls then you still have a playoff.

Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

briany wrote: »
    What substance has there been from McClean in an Irish shirt so far? He was hyped up when he came in, but it's felt like he has since fallen short of expectations. I may be wrong in my recollections, though. McGeady has, at least, nabbed a couple of absolutely crucial goals v. Georgia at the start of the campaign to make up for all the mazey runs to nothing in the past.

McCarthy played a good game v. Germany and warrants at least a look-in to start v. Poland. He's got good qualities as a defensive midfielder, plus he looks to have more about him than Whelan on the ball. Problem seems to be that there can be instances where he looks like he doesn't really want to know.

On the basis of the performance v. Germany, there's a case for each player in that game to get another start, but I believe that a few played above their normal ability that night.

McClean made a massive impact when he came on at home v Poland. I think he has done pretty well for Ireland overall. Always puts in a good shift. Not a big fan of his approach to political expression but as a player I like to see him as an impact sub for Ireland.

McCarthy will definitely start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

the big difference between rugby and soccer in this country are that the rugby team are always in major tournaments while the soccer team seldom are. Thus that gives the impression that rugby is more popular but its not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Poor Thomas

http://www.the42.ie/muller-play-acting-weak-referee-2379899-Oct2015/

Of course the Germans don't "play act" at all :rolleyes:

Klinsmann says hello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Team I'd like to start Sunday assuming all fit:

Randolph

Coleman Keogh O'Shea Wilson

Walters Mccarthy Hoolahan Hendricks Brady

Long

Long has to start, I feel sorry for him, he has had such a raw deal with Ireland over the years imo.

The Westwood situation is weird and I have a feeling that he may have told O'Neill only to call him up if he's going to start though I've nothing to base that on. I think he is our best keeper.

McGeady, McClean and Keane are good options off the bench and if he plays Brady left back I'd like to see McGeady start on the left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

irish son wrote: »

Randolph

Long

Long has to start, I feel sorry for him, he has had such a raw deal with Ireland over the years imo.

The Westwood situation is weird and I have a feeling that he may have told O'Neill only to call him up if he's going to start though I've nothing to base that on. I think he is our best keeper.

McGeady, McClean and Keane are good options off the bench and if he plays Brady left back I'd like to see McGeady start on the left wing.

Loving that starting line-up! Our best 11 by far. Without question Westwood is our best keeper and is certainly the most in-form of all them. Must be some bad blood bewteen O'Neill and him.

Keogh seriosuly lacks pace and isn't confident with the ball at his feet but is our best option. Likewise with Wilson, I'd love if we had better options there but unfortunately we don't. With Brady playing further up I think it's only a matter of time before he chips in with assists and maybe even goals.

No reason to set out anyway defensively tomorrow. Hoping we go balls out attack. Looking forward to it :)

Randolph

Long

I actually think O'Neill is getting the most out of Long introducing him off the bench. He has made serious impacts coming on and didn't go great when he started v Scotland. He changed the game coming on v Poland, Georgia and Germany at home. Is he our best striker by far? Yes definitely. Should he start the game tomorrow night? Possibly not.

It's up to the manager and I think he knows how best to use Long.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    the big difference between rugby and soccer in this country are that the rugby team are always in major tournaments while the soccer team seldom are. Thus that gives the impression that rugby is more popular but its not really.

The popularity of different sports is ubiquitous in certain regions of the country. Limerick rugby and hurling far out weigh soccer and Gaelic football. Kerry Gaelic football. North Dublin soccer, south Dublin rugby. Tipperary/Kilkenny: Hurling. The national team in rugby and soccer probably share equal support and following throughout the country but the premier league would have far more following than the pro 12 league or the European Rugby champions cup.

The ratio of England soccer teams popularity v England's rugby team popularity would not be the same for Ireland. The support for the two teams would be far closer here with the soccer team being more popular when winning. I've been to every Ireland qualifier game in Landsdowne the last two campaigns excluding Scotland home. (Stag weekend) it didn't feel that popular when people were taking the piss out of me for supporting my country in an empty stadium.

I think the soccer team has a broader class support, sub working class, working class, middle class, some upper middle class etc all want Ireland to be going well. The richer class look down their nose a bit. The closest rugby comparison I have to the atmosphere the other night was Munster winning the Heineken Cup. I thought the millennium stadium was going to fall down around me.

• Advertisement

I actually think O'Neill is getting the most out of Long introducing him off the bench. He has made serious impacts coming on and didn't go great when he started v Scotland. He changed the game coming on v Poland, Georgia and Germany at home. Is he our best striker by far? Yes definitely. Should he start the game tomorrow night? Possibly not.

It's up to the manager and I think he knows how best to use Long.

I really can't agree with that about Long, he hasn't had a run as our first choice striker and Murphy or Keane just cannot start up front on their own against Poland.

Long and Walters linked up very well at the end of the Germany game too, they are confident in the other winning the aerial ball so can time their run off him.

I really can't agree with that about Long, he hasn't had a run as our first choice striker and Murphy or Keane just cannot start up front on their own against Poland.

Long and Walters linked up very well at the end of the Germany game too, they are confident in the other winning the aerial ball so can time their run off him.

That's just my opinion on it. He deserves a starting place, but as Long as he gets brought on I won't be complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

While Long is clearly our best striker I dont mind him coming on. His speed and freshness against tiring defenders is excellent to have. Prefer to see Long coming up against tiring defenders than Keane/Murphy/McGoldrick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I thought Westwood was injured?

I thought Westwood was injured?

I thought so too but played for Shef Wed at the weekend.

That's just my opinion on it. He deserves a starting place, but as Long as he gets brought on I won't be complaining.

I understand what your saying and its your opinion and what I think is just my opinion but I just think its unfair on Long plus I don't think the defenders will get too tired by marking Murphy or Keane for an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

If Whelan starts tomorrow, I'll fcuking lose my sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

I agree, but no doubt he will. MON seems to have a thing for him. I cant see it to be honest. Unless you like a player that just chews gum,points and hides from the ball.

I think Robbie will start tomorrow with Long coming on after 50min or so. Would like to see same midfield as against Germany, with Coleman and Wilson replacing the fullbacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I agree, but no doubt he will. MON seems to have a thing for him. I cant see it to be honest. Unless you like a player that just chews gum,points and hides from the ball.

I think Robbie will start tomorrow with Long coming on after 50min or so. Would like to see same midfield as against Germany, with Coleman and Wilson replacing the fullbacks.

Straight back in for me. Exactly what is required for tomorrow.

MON isn't the only manager with a "thing" for him.

I understand what your saying and its your opinion and what I think is just my opinion but I just think its unfair on Long plus I don't think the defenders will get too tired by marking Murphy or Keane for an hour.

It's a tricky one to be honest, a judgement call on what the correct approach is. I don't think it's wrong to start him or leave him on the bench. He has been great off the bench so I'm happy with that.

What teams are playing today that will shape our possible playoff seeding and opponents ?

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    No point comparing it to our first major international event, compare it to the european championships would be the way to do it.
    Anyways bringing rugby up sounds like a jealous school girl cause the rugby were getting some attention

Um...Italia 90 was our second major international event...

You said the Grand Slam was the most excited this country ever got. I see you now say excluding world cups, and limited to euro championships only, excluding first appearances etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

briany wrote: »

McClean is direct and scares defenders. He draws fouls and gives up set pieces in dangerous areas. I'd rate him well above McGeady

What teams are playing today that will shape our possible playoff seeding and opponents ?

After tonight's games

In group A, Turkey are third and two points ahead of the Dutch

Group B, Bosnia are third and one point ahead of Israel

Group H, Croatia are are third and two points behind second placed Norway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

In my opinion. weighing up all of the positions, remaining fixtures and world rankings, these will be the seeds in the play off draw

Ukraine
    Denmark
    Norway
    Turkey

And these will be the unseeded

Sweden
    Slovenia
    Ireland
    Cyprus

A couple of these are pretty hard to call though. Could easily be Albania instead of Denmark and/or Croatia instead of Norway and/or Israel or B&H instead of Cyprus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Would prob prefer Denmark or Norway out of the those seeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Best place to watch the match in dublin city centre tomorrow? Thinking the woodshed but don't fancy a long cold walk to a club south of the liffey after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Laois_Man wrote: »
    In my opinion. weighing up all of the positions, remaining fixtures and world rankings, these will be the seeds in the play off draw

Ukraine
    Denmark
    Norway
    Turkey

Sweden
    Slovenia
    Ireland
    Cyprus

A couple of these are pretty hard to call though. Could easily be Albania instead of Denmark and/or Croatia instead of Norway and/or Israel or B&H instead of Cyprus

I think you might have looked at the world rankings, but the seedings will be based on UEFA rankings as far as I know. And Ireland would be ahead of Norway and Turkey in them I'm pretty sure, also could potentially move ahead of Denmark if we avoid defeat to Poland if what I've read in one or two places is true. Confusing stuff altogether but basically we are supporting Turkey, Armenia, Cyprus and Croatia over the last round of games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

You said the Grand Slam was the most excited this country ever got. I see you now say excluding world cups, and limited to euro championships only, excluding first appearances etc.

They didn't have finals in the 1960's for the Euro's like they do now but in fairness we did make the Quarter-Finals in 1964 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eire4 wrote: »
    we did make the Quarter-Finals in 1964 as well.

Who you taking about here?

Edit: I never knew about the Quarter-Finals outside of the tournament before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I never said excluding world cups, this is the tosser nonsense rubbish that makes soccer fans sound childish idiots. I cant compare it to 88 or 90 cause I was a baby. But the grand slam matched everything soccer had to offer that I was apart of which is basically 02 and most recent euros

• Advertisement

I never said excluding world cups, this is the tosser nonsense rubbish that makes soccer fans sound childish idiots. I cant compare it to 88 or 90 cause I was a baby. But the grand slam matched everything soccer had to offer that I was apart of which is basically 02 and most recent euros

You're getting annoyed with your "tosser...childish" stuff.

The fact is you said that the Grand Slam was the most excited this country ever got. A few posters have pointed out that that is patent nonsense. I mentioned Italia 90 and you said that was the first international tournament we played, which was both incorrect and irrelevant. You now say that you actually can't compare it to that as you were not around, which again is not relevant, you never said "in your memory".

Maybe you could simply accept that your initial point was wrong and this way you wouldn't have to get so hilariously cross defending such gibberish?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If you can't speak for 88 or 90 then I don't think you should be making statements that the Grand Slam celebration was the biggest sporting celebration we've had, consensus would overwhelmingly suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I was in Cardiff for the grand slam, but......

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I was in Cardiff for the grand slam, but......

I always laugh at the your man in that clip dancing to the Paul McGrath chant

They were mental times,I was only a kid but I remember going along to the local to watch the matches,put sitting in front of the biggest screen id ever seen and given a 2 litre bottle of orange and bags of Tayto's while the brother joined his mates at the bar,

They still talk about it today any time something big happens or like when we qualified for Euro 2012,you would always one fella in the pub say

"it wouldnt put a patch on 1990"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I think you might have looked at the world rankings, but the seedings will be based on UEFA rankings as far as I know. And Ireland would be ahead of Norway and Turkey in them I'm pretty sure, also could potentially move ahead of Denmark if we avoid defeat to Poland if what I've read in one or two places is true. Confusing stuff altogether but basically we are supporting Turkey, Armenia, Cyprus and Croatia over the last round of games!

Yeah I was using the FIFA rankings when I should have been using there seemingly

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/28/09/29/2280929_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Which changes my pots to this

Uraine
    Denmark
    Sweden
    Ireland

Turkey
    Norway
    Slovenia
    Cyprus

I assume we'll go up the rankings a bit even if we lose to Poland but Turkey will go up a bit having won away to Czech Republic last night and will go up further if they beat Iceland which is the result we want!

Malta seem to have improved a lot so Croatia have their work cut out to go and win there and knock Norway down to third if they fail to win in Italy.

On the other hand, Sweden are only one place ahead of us but we may still overtake them even though they won away to Liechtenstein on Friday and have a handy home tie against Moldova tomorrow night. But it's odd the way it works - teams can get an awful lot of points for beating poor sides like Montenegro did on the last count - and we got a fair few too for winning against Gibralter and Georgia!

You're getting annoyed with your "tosser...childish" stuff.

The fact is you said that the Grand Slam was the most excited this country ever got. A few posters have pointed out that that is patent nonsense. I mentioned Italia 90 and you said that was the first international tournament we played, which was both incorrect and irrelevant. You now say that you actually can't compare it to that as you were not around, which again is not relevant, you never said "in your memory".

Maybe you could simply accept that your initial point was wrong and this way you wouldn't have to get so hilariously cross defending such gibberish?
    Amirani wrote: »
    If you can't speak for 88 or 90 then I don't think you should be making statements that the Grand Slam celebration was the biggest sporting celebration we've had, consensus would overwhelmingly suggest otherwise.

Ok sound soccer is so much bigger than rugby, even though no one cares unless we are winning, had we lost to germany their would have been little talk about this. Have a look at local level and you will see Rugby gets a lot more people out watching than your local football team. Look at my comments ye idiots, everything I said was from my point of view, as a moderator you not think you may have noticed that, my whole point was from the start and still is, that their was no point bringing up rugby on the soccer forum and throwing digs the way of rugby just made ye look like morons. Then again Ive realised fans of soccer in this country generally are that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Does anyone know is it possible for us to overtake Sweden or Denmark in the UEFA rankings? They are both fairly close to us and after beating Germany I would assume we will be moving upwards.

...ye idiots...
    ...just made ye look like morons...
    Then again Ive realised fans of soccer in this country generally are that way

Says soccer fan astonaidan, who apparently sees himself as smarter than the other soccer fans of this country.

Good man.

Says soccer fan astonaidan, who apparently sees himself as smarter than the other soccer fans of this country.

Good man.

I am, sure I play rugby.........:pac:

• Advertisement

Ok sound soccer is so much bigger than rugby, even though no one cares unless we are winning, had we lost to germany their would have been little talk about this. Have a look at local level and you will see Rugby gets a lot more people out watching than your local football team. Look at my comments ye idiots, everything I said was from my point of view, as a moderator you not think you may have noticed that, my whole point was from the start and still is, that their was no point bringing up rugby on the soccer forum and throwing digs the way of rugby just made ye look like morons. Then again Ive realised fans of soccer in this country generally are that way

You need to stop, you are making a fool of yourself.

You say that people are only interested in soccerwhen they win.
    It's true that winning brings interest but the core base of people in Ireland who have an interest in soccer is much bigger than the core base of rugby fans, that's my opinion and I don't have facts to back it up but I'm sure there is something out there and it's hardly an outlandish statement anyway.

And speaking of winning bringing in tne fans I'd hazard a guess that that's what has generated most interest in rugby in the last decade. Ireland have been relatively strong in rugby during that time. Do you think there would be such an interest if it was like the 90s when all they won was the wooden spoon ?

As for more people watching local rugby than soccer then I think that is way off also.

Let's take LOI v AIL, who do you think gets the bigger average attendance. ?

Your a rugby fan that's fine, and you play rugby that's fine too, but both of these factors are clouding your overall view of the national interest in rugby and soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I suppose this makes a nice change from the Liverpool vs. United bitchfests. Normally the soccer vs. Rugby is only held in AH.

I suppose this makes a nice change from the Liverpool vs. United bitchfests. Normally the soccer vs. Rugby is only held in AH.

I don't get the attraction to the rugby. It's very stop starty, rough and the atmosphere at matches feel more like a picnic than a sports game but nonetheless I'll be cheering on the boys in green vs France and Poland today :)

Two wins would be electric!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

McCarthy and Hendricks is working, hopefully he dosnt **** it up by playing whealan.

Drop murphy altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I think Long has earned a start. Him and Walters up front would be my preference, with Keane coming on late in the game if we need a goal. Any chance we could see Coleman on the right and Christie on the left? I'd prefer Ward not to play.

Regardless of lineups and all that, I just hope we go for it from the first whistle tonight. COYBIG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I think Long has earned a start. Him and Walters up front would be my preference, with Keane coming on late in the game if we need a goal. Any chance we could see Coleman on the right and Christie on the left? I'd prefer Ward not to play.

Regardless of lineups and all that, I just hope we go for it from the first whistle tonight. COYBIG!

Stephen Ward didn't travel I believe. Wilson or Brady at LB.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    Stephen Ward didn't travel I believe. Wilson or Brady at LB.

is Wilson fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Nalz wrote: »
    is Wilson fit?

O'Neil said in the press conference he expects him, Coleman and McClean back.

I think these are all the potential or definite 3rd place teams

Turkey or Netherlands
    Bosnia or Israel or Cyprus
    Ukraine
    Ireland
    Slovenia
    Russia or Sweden
    Norway or Croatia
    Denmark

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

James McClean stands out like a sore thumb as absolutely woeful amongst a group of average footballers.

Godot. wrote: »
    James McClean stands out like a sore thumb as absolutely woeful amongst a group of average footballers.

McGeady in his few mins did more than McClean in the entire game

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement