Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Who will play alongside John O'Shea at centre half?

McGeady. He is also in goals and will be laying out the jerseys as well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Keogh.

This is a full blown injury crisis.

noodler wrote: »
    Keogh.

Keogh played 90 on Saturday after 4 games out so he should start

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Keogh.

I thought Keogh was out as well? He'll be playing so. He has done well when playing for Ireland. I think he'll go 4-4-2 or maybe 4-4-1-1 but with the same personnel.

Randolph
    Coleman O'Shea Keogh Ward
    Walters Whelan Hendrick McClean
    McGeady
    Long

In a 4-4-2 he can put Walters up with Long and McGeady on the right.

McCarthy will play if he's fit but it doesn't look like he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Id say something like this

Randolph
    Coleman Oshea Keogh Ward
    Whelan Hendrick McCarthy
    Walters Long McClean

Yeah I reckon this will be the team if Coleman and McCarthy are fit. Maybe McGeady will start ahead of McClean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

What's wrong with Arter now? Not very dependable is he?

He is yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

He is yeah

In fairness, from an injury point of view, he hasn't been.

Yeah I reckon this will be the team if Coleman and McCarthy are fit. Maybe McGeady will start ahead of McClean

Both should start. McGeady playing behind Long like he did so well in in Tblisi, McClean on Left/ interchange with McGeady at times, Walter right, Hendrick in centre with McCarthy or Whelan. I can't see much change from that.

Both should start. McGeady playing behind Long like he did so well in in Tblisi, McClean on Left/ interchange with McGeady at times, Walter right, Hendrick in centre with McCarthy or Whelan.   I can't see much change from that.
    I agree that McGeady should start but I think MON will try keep it tight with the 3 in midfield and bring him on with 20 mins to go to try nick the win

• Advertisement

I agree that McGeady should start but I think MON will try keep it tight with the 3 in midfield and bring him on with 20 mins to go to try nick the win

I understand why you are saying that but you are asking for trouble keeping it tight and hoping to nick a win with a player like Bale on the pitch.

The last time McCarthy and Whelan played together we got hammered by a team that our next opponents beat a few days lather.

Since then, MON has changed his mindset a lot and they haven't been on the pitch together. We lost against Scotland "hoping to nick a winner" with the 2 on the pitch and were lucky to snatch a point against Poland once (I think it was Whelan) was taken off and we got lucky in injury time.

We have plenty more options now with midfield now and we are playing at home so trying to nick a win when on paper we are well capable, with the proper attitude, to beat Wales is naive and asking for trouble.

Wales are the team that should have that mindset, not us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

He clearly loves playing for Ireland, just has been unfortunate with injuries.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    In fairness, from an injury point of view, he hasn't been.

He's played nearly every game for Bournemouth hasn't he?

I understand why you are saying that but you are asking for trouble keeping it tight and hoping to nick a win with a player like Bale on the pitch.

The last time McCarthy and Whelan played together we got hammered by a team that our next opponents beat a few days lather.

Since then, MON has changed his mindset a lot and they haven't been on the pitch together. We lost against Scotland "hoping to nick a winner" with the 2 on the pitch and were lucky to snatch a point against Poland once (I think it was Whelan) was taken off and we got lucky in injury time.

We have plenty more options now with midfield now and we are playing at home so trying to nick a win when on paper we are well capable, with the proper attitude, to beat Wales is naive and asking for trouble.

Who hammered us when Mccarthy and Whelan last played together? Belgium?

Jesus, they're just alot better than us.

Same midfielders got us through the the qualifiers and a play off with Bosnia.

noodler wrote:
    He's played nearly every game for Bournemouth hasn't he?

Was missing at the wkd with the injury

Who hammered us when Mccarthy and Whelan last played together? Belgium?

Jesus, they're just alot better than us.

Same midfielders got us through the the qualifiers and a play off with Bosnia.

I am on about the set up. It clearly wasn't working so O'Neill changed it, we beat a (albeit depleted but still very good) Italian side and played excellently against France and we haven't touched that formation since.

I am just saying that was the last time we used it so I doubt MON is going to revert to it suddenly in a home game that we have every chance of and should be looking at winning.

My point wasn't about Belgium having or not having better players than us which of course they do, we were abysmal that day, shocking.

My point is about the formation and what it offers us now. Bosnia games aside (a year and a half ago) it is a couple of years since that lineup worked out well for us in a big game.
    Sure we even beat Germany without it!
    Against Sweden McCarthy was abysmal, worse against Belgium then suddenly he omits Whelan (who I actually like a lot more than others) and McCarthy becomes arguably one of our best players in the 2 remaining games .

Ireland have never had more options in midfield so reverting back to a MF formation that hasn't been successful and one that MON doesn't seem to fancy anymore against proper opposition in a long time bears no logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

I'd say he's biding his time before he declares for England

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I'd say he's biding his time before he declares for England

The man started against Austria ffs! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wilberto wrote: »
    The man started against Austria ffs! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't let facts get in the way of The Harry Arter Conspiracy Theory.

• Advertisement

Interestingly non interesting fact, apart from a 95th minute penalty goal against Moldova, Wales haven't scored in the second half of a match in this campaign.

Something to ponder ...............or not!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bandage

I agree that we played better in the Euros once McCarthy assumed the role previously held by Whelan. The 4-1-2-3 with Hendrick and Brady combining in front of him worked very well.

I'm wary of being too reactive and we shouldn't fear playing Wales at home. But I wonder if their 3-4-2-1 with Bale and Ramsey having some freedom behind their target man might prompt us to have 2 deeper lying midfielders. That would reduce the risk of one midfield holder getting dragged out of position and having to keep tabs on both of them. Such a scenario could see Whelan and McCarthy, if fit, combining again in more of a 4-2-3-1.

I wonder can we persuade Lee Keegan to come in and man mark Bale and take him out of the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,952 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No way are we coming through this without a defeat now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

No way are we coming through this without a defeat now.
    Can you give the Welsh team their pre-match team talk.......;):D

Eathrin wrote: »

He clearly loves playing for Ireland, just has been unfortunate with injuries.

I honestly couldn't claim to know whether he loves playing for Ireland or not. It would be great if he was available more often though.

• Advertisement

Daryll Murphy out now. A player that was in a bit of form and would have been one of the best choices off the bench if we were chasing the game.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0321/861377-daryl-murphy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I wonder can we persuade Lee Keegan to come in and man mark Bale and take him out of the game!

maybe there's another way

McClean.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

They are dropping like flies. WTF?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

maybe there's another way

McClean.jpg

I hope McClean doesn't do anything silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Lol and we rejoiced at the thought of bale being out. Karma has bitten us in the ass

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

McClean.jpg
    Is he waving or drowning ( admittedly without water....)

gufc21 wrote: »
    Lol and we rejoiced at the thought of bale being out. Karma has bitten us in the ass

Absolutely bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

blinding wrote: »
    Is he waving or drowning ( admittedly without water....)

In all seriousness the kid had a massively swollen knee after that and right after he joined Napoli he got a ligament injury to the same knee

Was a big moment and a strong tackle that was not a foul. But still feel sorry for Milik as I think that tackle had a lasting affect on him

gufc21 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

McCarthy now VERY doubtful according to Keane.

"James didn't train today," the assistant boss said.

"I would say he is very doubtful. I think he is due to do some running today, but if he doesn't join in with the group tomorrow, it'll be very doubtful for him."

But Coleman looks grand.

Whelan to take McCarthys place. Not the end of the world.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0321/861417-keane-admits-mccarthy-looks-very-doubtful-to-face-wal/

So, Last Men Standing:

Republic of Ireland squad as it stands

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph, Keiren Westwood, Colin Doyle

Defenders: Seamus Coleman, Cyrus Christie, Richard Keogh, Alex Pearce, John O'Shea, Andy Boyle, John Egan, Stephen Ward

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady, Glenn Whelan, James McCarthy, Jeff Hendrick, Conor Hourihane, David Meyler, Eunan O'Kane, James McClean, Jonathan Hayes, Daryl Horgan, Callum O'Dowda

Strikers: Jonathan Walters, Shane Long, Kevin Doyle

Re Wales, I anticipate it will be something along the lines of:

Hennessey

Richard Gunter Williams Chester Davies

Allen Ledley

Bale HRK Ramsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Re Wales, I anticipate it will be something along the lines of:

Hennessey

Richard Gunter Williams Chester Davies

Allen Ledley

Bale HRK Ramsey

Back 3 or 5 be like this id say.
    Gunter Williams Chester Davies Taylor.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Back 3 or 5 be like this id say.
    Gunter Williams Chester Davies Taylor.

not according to most Wales sources, media, fans etc. Was stalking their thread a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

not according to most Wales sources, media, fans etc. Was stalking their thread a bit!

I don't see them playing Gunter at centre back he's good going forward.

Gabbidon agrees with my back 3/5
    http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39279538

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Id expect Ramsey to operate centrally as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My enthusiasm for this game has been sapped by the long list of injuries. Wales are the one opponent against whom you don't want to lose your first choice defensive partnership, as well as key combative central midfielders.

I was wary of Wales beforehand but felt optimistic we could get a good result. Now I'm just dreading a loss. I really feel Bale could rip us a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

Have Wales lost much players to injury?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Worztron wrote: »
    Have Wales lost much players to injury?

No, I think they have everyone available, so pretty much the squad that bet Belgium a few months ago.
    They probably should fancy their chances here on Friday with all our injuries.
    Check out what they think here, looking for pubs to drink in & all too. http://apostlewelshfootie.proboards.com/board/1/welsh-footie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,959 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Obv we will be downhearted with a defeat but we can afford it as we will still be in the top 2 and have a lot of guys to come back in. Think we have too many injuries to get a result and Wales must win the game

The Austrian game in June is a must must win game no matter the result Friday night

It's a bit unusual to be playing Wales in the round ball as opposed to the egg shaped ball but banter will be good id say and peaceful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Just wondering if anyone knows if training is generally open to the public in Abbotstown? Will be over that direction today & would be good to bring the young lad..if there are any players left to see!
    ....FAI just confirmed training sessions are all closed, so ignore this

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Obv we will be downhearted with a defeat but we can afford it as we will still be in the top 2 and have a lot of guys to come back in. Think we have too many injuries to get a result and Wales must win the game

I don't think we can afford to lose the game. Home games are vital. It's difficult to see us winning the big away games so we must take advantage of playing in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,959 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I don't think we can afford to lose the game. Home games are vital. It's difficult to see us winning the big away games so we must take advantage of playing in Dublin.

We only have 2 away games left which one looks easy on paper but won't be giving we have struggled in Tblishi in the past. We don't want to be travelling to Cardiff on the final day looking for a win as its tough place too go

Home vs Austria, Serbia and Moldova (very winnable game no excuses if we don't win)

The playoffs won't be a walk in the park either and we could get the likes of Spain, Italy ,Holland or Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

My enthusiasm for this game has been sapped by the long list of injuries. Wales are the one opponent against whom you don't want to lose your first choice defensive partnership, as well as key combative central midfielders.

I was wary of Wales beforehand but felt optimistic we could get a good result. Now I'm just dreading a loss. I really feel Bale could rip us a new one.

We can still win.
    I don't think our injuries are too debilitating - although obviously Wales are in better shape going into the game.

We have 4 centre backs who are (roughly) of the same standard.
    2 are injured so the other 2 start, not a big concern for me. To quote Liam brady - "much of a muchness"

McCarthy is injured (and Arter), but they very often are.
    We have Whelan, Hendrick, and Meyler was man of the match in our last game. McGeady, McClean and Walters also options for across the midfield. Horgan or O'Dowda great options as subs.

The one person who is missing who I think we really cannot properly replace is Brady, and his suspension. Probably set pieces will decide the game and his delivery is great.
    but we knew about this suspension months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

We can still win.
    I don't think our injuries are too debilitating - although obviously Wales are in better shape going into the game.

We have 4 centre backs who are (roughly) of the same standard.
    2 are injured so the other 2 start, not a big concern for me. To quote Liam brady - "much of a muchness"

McCarthy is injured (and Arter), but they very often are.
    We have Whelan, Hendrick, and Meyler was man of the match in our last game. McGeady, McClean and Walters also options for across the midfield. Horgan or O'Dowda great options as subs.

The one person who is missing who I think we really cannot properly replace is Brady, and his suspension. Probably set pieces will decide the game and his delivery is great.
    but we knew about this suspension months ago.

The rage was building up in me reading the last couple of pages and this is pretty much what I was going to say. There's way too much being made of the injuries and Martin O'Neill himself is playing up to it saying stuff like it has come at the worst possible time - no it hasn't - it could have come on a double qualifier week instead of a single one.

Really could do with Brady and at least one of Arter & McCarthy. The rest is very much the same. Feck all difference really between the likes of Duffy & Keogh and the same can be said for other absentees. Wales have much better players than us even if we had no injuries/suspensions.

The big worry is our players aren't scoring goals at club level and that has nothing to do with injury. Shane Long needs to move clubs this Summer. Our right back is the highest scorer we have at PL level and that says it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The rage was building up in me reading the last couple of pages and this is pretty much what I was going to say. There's way too much being made of the injuries and Martin O'Neill himself is playing up to it saying stuff like it has come at the worst possible time - no it hasn't - it could have come on a double qualifier week instead of a single one.

Really could do with Brady and at least one of Arter & McCarthy. The rest is very much the same. Feck all difference really between the likes of Duffy & Keogh and the same can be said for other absentees. Wales have much better players than us even if we had no injuries/suspensions.

The big worry is our players aren't scoring goals at club level and that has nothing to do with injury. Shane Long needs to move clubs this Summer. Our right back is the highest scorer we have at PL level and that says it all

Hopefully our right back will net Friday night !! Is Coleman okay I know there was doubts but heard nothing since ? He's a busy night ahead of him chasing Bale hopefully he holds his own which I believe he will. Honestly lads I know every team should be going out to win but a draw would be huge and would seriously dampen Wales getting anywhere afterwards. Hoping Georgia can do us a favour against the Serbs too !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement