Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

You could copy and paste some of the stuff said about Joe Schmidt from the rugby forum to apply to Martin O'Neill here. If anything MON has less talent at his disposal but the expectations are equally high. I think McCarthy and Staunton teams played some of the most attractive football an Irish team has ever produced but it couldn't compensate for the failure to qualify for tournaments in the end. Charlton and Trapattoni teams played some awful dirge but they were heroes as long as we qualified.

MON would be a fool to do anything other than what he thinks is needed to qualify for the next tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Staunton teams played attractive football WTF.
    They were a shambles from front to back with Stan utterly clueless on the sideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

yabadabado wrote: »
    They were a shambles from front to back with Stan utterly clueless on the sideline.

Agree completely.

Stan inherited a far far superior side to MON. He did have a couple of good wins in meaningless friendlies but that was it.

Are we forgetting 5-2 V Cyrus away and then a 1-1 draw with them at home? :eek:

Trond wrote: »
    Agree completely.

Stan inherited a far far superior side to MON. He did have a couple of good wins in meaningless friendlies but that was it.

Are we forgetting 5-2 V Cyrus away and then a 1-1 draw with them at home? :eek:

Results are all anyone remembers. The team wasn't playing hoofball though.

I wasn't a fan of Staunton's tenure but I think it's an example of how things can go wrong if you don't play tactically and to the strengths of the players you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

I try to forget the 5-2 to Cyprus as my memory was the worst performance ever by an Irish team. I think Given was injured but can't remember who let in the 5 goals.

But if the FAI offered me a big salary I wouldn't refuse it either - I would be crap manager though. So he wasn't going to refuse but why they gave Staunton the job was beyond me when he had next to no experience as a manager.

On the subject how many games was Bobby Robson actually with Staunton on the sidelines as I think he got seriously ill somewhere during that campaign. If he had been well and in charge of the team and Staunton his deputy things might have been different as he was a very good manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Korat wrote: »
    Results are all anyone remembers. The team wasn't playing hoofball though.

I wasn't a fan of Staunton's tenure but I think it's an example of how things can go wrong if you don't play tactically and to the strengths of the players you have.

I don't get your point............. Is what you are saying that during the Stan era, we would have succeeded or fared better by playing hoofball rather than trying to keep the ball and pass through midfield?? These are examples of the players we had starting back then

Kenny, Finnan, O'Shea, Andrew O'Brien (Lee 71), Dunne, Kilbane, McGeady (Alan O'Brien 80), Ireland (Douglas 83), Morrison, Keane, Duff (the team in that 5-2 defeat)

Hardly a better tactic to play hoofball with those players? What happened in Cyprus owes a lot to the shapeless midfield. I mean their was no true central midfielder in that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

eamonpk wrote: »
    It was MON who said that this was the worst injury list he ever had to deal with - no one put the words in his mouth. There is a long way to go and if they start looking for draws in games like this just because they are top of the group I think it will be a mistake.

Some things are fact or close to it though, regardless of whether he said it or not. The injury list really is horrific, and excuses or no excuses not having some of your best players isn't a help. MON did say later on in that conference that they just had to get one with it and not use it as a excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't get your point............. Is what you are saying that during the Stan era, we would have succeeded or fared better by playing hoofball rather than trying to keep the ball and pass through midfield?? These are examples of the players we had starting back then

Kenny, Finnan, O'Shea, Andrew O'Brien (Lee 71), Dunne, Kilbane, McGeady (Alan O'Brien 80), Ireland (Douglas 83), Morrison, Keane, Duff (the team in that 5-2 defeat)

Given, O'Shea, O'Dea, St. Ledger, Ward, Duff, Andrews, Whelan, McGeady, Keane, Long. (the team in the 1-1 home draw v Czechs)

Hardly a better tactic to play hoofball with those players? What happened in Cyprus owes a lot to the shapeless midfield. I mean their was no true central midfielder in that team.

You have the team for the Czech game all wrong.

Henderson, Kelly, Mr Shane, O'Shea, Finland Andy Reid, Carsley, Douglas, kilbane, duff, Keane.

More you took it from the friendly in 2011.

I don't think that team is particularly strong though we were ravaged by injuries IIRC

Stan had a far superior starting 11 to choose from that is currently available and he genuinely didn't have a clue what to do.
    They didn't play hoof ball but they didn't particularly do anything.
    MON team isnt a throwback to Wimbledon either we can and do play some good football.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    You have the team for the Czech game all wrong.

Henderson, Kelly, Mr Shane, O'Shea, Finland Andy Reid, Carsley, Douglas, kilbane, duff, Keane.

More you took it from the friendly in 2011.

I don't think that team is particularly strong though we were ravaged by injuries IIRC

my apologies, not a bad team though. The front 6 are definitely not built for hoofball

I don't get your point............. Is what you are saying that during the Stan era, we would have succeeded or fared better by playing hoofball rather than trying to keep the ball and pass through midfield??

My point is that fans always expect the Irish team to play an attractive style and qualify for tournaments. With Ireland's playing resources I believe you can only have one or the other as proven by the history of coaches in the last 30 years. 2002 being the possible exception.

I think MON's team plays a better style to Trap's but it doesn't please everyone. I'd rather MON ignored the purists and got the best results from the team in any way he sees fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

So to our Welsh cousins tomorrow we say Croeso (Welcome). :-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Korat wrote: »
    My point is that fans always expect the Irish team to play an attractive style and qualify for tournaments. With Ireland's playing resources I believe you can only have one or the other as proven by the history of coaches in the last 30 years. 2002 being the possible exception.

I think MON's team plays a better style to Trap's but it doesn't please everyone. I'd rather MON ignored the purists and got the best results from the team in any way he sees fit.
    I dont think that is true at all.The majority of fans know our limitations and are realists .They don't expect attractive football all the time.A good balance is what I'd want.

I dont think that is true at all.The majority of fans know our limitations and are realists .They don't expect attractive football all the time.A good balance is what I'd want.

Exactly. It is just an age old cliche representation of Irish fans by Irish fans which evolves into the same silly argument (debate :rolleyes:) every game.

• I hope McClean plays, I'd say he's a bit rattled but no better man to play with pride

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I hope McClean plays, I'd say he's a bit rattled but no better man to play with pride

One of the first men on the sheet you would imagine?

• One of the first men on the sheet you would imagine?

Oh no doubt, I just mean he's close with the late Ryan McBride. Was reading MON gave him time to attend wake etc..

There's no doubt he'll start with Wes and Brady missing in particular.

Usually better off the bench but we'll see, hopefully he keeps his cool.

• noodler wrote: »
    There's no doubt he'll start with Wes and Brady missing in particular.

Usually better off the bench but we'll see, hopefully he keeps his cool.

Not this campaign so far, full 90 for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Oh no doubt, I just mean he's close with the late Ryan McBride. Was reading MON gave him time to attend wake etc..

Very close to Martin McGuiness also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Not this campaign so far, full 90 for me

For two games anyway.

Not getting excited about Moldova either.

But undoubtedly been judged better off the bench by his managers in general throughout his career as his international and club appearances would suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Robson-Kanu has scored 4 goals in 38 games for wales. I'm not sure I've ever seen a worst scoring record for a non Andorra/San Marino player at international level.

Has anyone watched him play much apart from in the Euros?

Guaranteed to score against us now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Robson-Kanu has scored 4 goals in 38 games for wales. I'm not sure I've ever seen a worst scoring record for a non Andorra/San Marino player at international level.

Scored against Arsenal on the weekend. He's probably a championship level player at best, A good Euros enhanced his reputation a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Scored against Arsenal on the weekend. He's probably a championship level player at best, A good Euros enhanced his reputation a lot.

Over his entire career, he has 40 goals in 292 games. That's what, a goal every 7 games?

Six seasons at Championship level and two at League One level I think.

He's a ****e striker who wasn't actually good at the Euros either - he just scored a cracking goal.

Apologies for his inevitable hat-trick tomorrow. But, based on that goal return, it would presumably be the first of his career so might be a nice moment to watch...

Dots1982 wrote: »

Our own John Aldridge had a very similar record at international level.
    6 goals in his first 41 games and we still quiet rightly class him as a legend.

Our own John Aldridge had a very similar record at international level.
    6 goals in his first 41 games and we still quiet rightly class him as a legend.

He barely played "up front" though!

Charlton insisted he "work the channels" instead of operating in the box. Get the ball into Big Niall instead :rolleyes:

Some of the creativity we had back then with a finisher of the calibre of Aldo in our ranks. Still makes me sad, what a waste :(

Trond wrote: »
    He barely played "up front" though!

Charlton insisted he "work the channels" instead of operating in the box. Get the ball into Big Niall instead :rolleyes:

Some of the creativity we had back then with a finisher of the calibre of Aldo in our ranks. Still makes me sad, what a waste :(
    The point I'm making is just because a striker has a poor return doesn't make him useless which I believe is what the op was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

John Aldridge was a proven goal scorer at club level, HRK isn't a proven goal scorer at 2nd division level.

The point I'm making is just because a striker has a poor return doesn't make him useless which I believe is what the op was doing.

Not really...

Aldo has a poor return due to the system, manager and tactics we used.

Robson Kanu has a poor return because hes a poor finisher, simple as that. I know he hasnt always played as an out and out front man but still his stats are brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Speaking of Stan, I wonder will MON give him a call to pick his brain on how to beat Wales in a qualifier in Dublin ?
    May as well ask someone who has been there and done that....

• Advertisement

Speaking of Stan, I wonder will MON give him a call to pick his brain on how to beat Wales in a qualifier in Dublin ?
    May as well ask someone who has been there and done that....
    Can imagine when Stan gets asked

vy6X6OS.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I hope McClean plays, I'd say he's a bit rattled but no better man to play with pride
    One of the first men on the sheet you would imagine?

There was talk during the week of him wearing the No.5 shirt for the Wales game in Ryan's honour. Would be a lovely tribute if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I'm really worried about the talk of our starting midfield 3. The rest of the team picks itself but a flat midfield three of McCarthy, Hendrick and Meyler/Whelan.

There's absolutely zero creativity in that midfield and I don't see how we don't leave Long isolated up top. I was racking my brain as to when we'd seen this before and it was the Scotland at home game where it happened last.

I really think McGeady needs to start in the 10 role. We're the home team. We lay out how we're gonna play. And we go for the 3 points. Lets bury Wales before they can get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

PhilipsR wrote: »
    I'm really worried about the talk of our starting midfield 3. The rest of the team picks itself but a flat midfield three of McCarthy, Hendrick and Meyler/Whelan.

There's absolutely zero creativity in that midfield and I don't see how we don't leave Long isolated up top. I was racking my brain as to when we'd seen this before and it was the Scotland at home game where it happened last.

I really think McGeady needs to start in the 10 role. We're the home team. We lay out how we're gonna play. And we go for the 3 points. Lets bury Wales before they can get started.

Bang on the money. He is playing very well for Preston and can control the that midfield, Wes and Brady are a huge loss in such an important game but he can step up and do the business. We will do them 1 nil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Bang on the money. He is playing very well for Preston and can control the that midfield, Wes and Brady are a huge loss in such an important game but he can step up and do the business. We will do them 1 nil.

Totally agree, his time to shine after getting quite a bit of criticism from Irish fans over the past while, having a great season so hopefully brings that form into tonight.

Keeping Bale quiet is an absolute necessity, let's not give him a sniff. They'll be up for it as much as we will be, fingers crossed for a win. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Injuries will make this a tough game.

Great chance to pull clear towards qualification but it's going to be very difficult now. With everything taken into account I'd  be very happy with a draw and keeping 4 points between us and 3rd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bandage

Leaving Shane Long on the bench is a way of getting McGeady into the starting team while also playing Whelan, McCarthy and Hendrick.

It'd essentially be the same midfield diamond that played at home to Bosnia but with McGeady in for Hoolahan.

I'd tilt the diamond the other way so Whelan holding, McCarthy quite disciplined and narrow on the left, Hendrick on the right but shuttling up and down with McGeady at the apex in the centre/right. I'd then select McClean to play wide left with Walters upfront.

So diamond tilts right because McClean is already on the left. As I say, the opposite of Bosnia at home when the diamond tilted left as Walters was on the right wing with Murphy (if I recall correctly) upfront.

Long can then come on to expose any gaps/tiredness in the last 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

McGeady has never played well for us as a 10 from my memory so I think its a gamble to start him there. We are also very short of options on the bench attack wise as well so if we start McGeady at 10 then our only attacking replacements Doyle and Horgan. One is past it and the other is untried at this level. 
    I have a feeling he may start ahead of McClean who's had a tough week anyway.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Has McGeady played as a 10 for us often before? Only game I can think of is Scotland away. Obviously that didn't go well, but the whole team struggled that day.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Has McGeady played as a 10 for us often before? Only game I can think of is Scotland away. Obviously that didn't go well, but the whole team struggled that day.

Georgia away where he scored twice.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Georgia away where he scored twice.

Did he?

Looking at the team that day I'd assume he was on the left of a 433/451

861ad8219293e7d057c9feecb77b5cbc.png

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

I presume season ticket holders use the card as normal tonight?

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Did he?

Looking at the team that day I'd assume he was on the left of a 433/451

861ad8219293e7d057c9feecb77b5cbc.png

No he definitely was switching between the wing and centre but the last 15 minutes after Brady went on he was very central and it really worked. He then kept that central role in the Germany away game and, again, it was a positive decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

No he definitely was switching between the wing and centre but the last 15 minutes after Brady went on he was very central and it really worked. He then kept that central role in the Germany away game and, again, it was a positive decision.

The thing is. We need some sort of creative vision out there tonight, and the much touted starting 11 doesn't show anything of the sort. We'd basically be playing for corners all night. Starting to get worried until the team is announced!

EDIT: Long will get no luck of balls played into the channels with the Welsh playing 3-5-2. We really don't match up well if we go with a flat three across midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Huge game tonight, Wales definitely the stronger team imo, some excellent players. I'd take a draw all day long.

Can't see us having much possession so I'd be in favor of starting Mcgeady on the bench. His off the ball work rate isn't great and we'll need that injection of pace off the bench in the last 20 minutes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

The thing is. We need some sort of creative vision out there tonight, and the much touted starting 11 doesn't show anything of the sort. We'd basically be playing for corners all night. Starting to get worried until the team is announced!

EDIT: Long will get no luck of balls played into the channels with the Welsh playing 3-5-2. We really don't match up well if we go with a flat three across midfield.

Oh, no, I completely agree. I have said this all week. I have touted McGeady in thatrole since Wes was ruled out. And Arter was, well,being Arter.

Workhorses will only get you so far. And we need those just as much. In fact Wes may not even have started if Brady was available anyway,imo. McGoldrick wouldn't have been the worse choice either,hadhe been available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

McGeady has never played well for us.

Fixed your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think this is going to be a Wales win. Too many Irish injuries and Wales have to go for it.

I hope I am wrong, obviously.
    I would like to see McClean score in a win considering the last few days, Derry needs some good news.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Can imagine when Stan gets asked

vy6X6OS.gif

He will probably say 'I don't know you tell me'

If I remember correctly he used to say that A LOT in interviews.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• No Match thread? Hopefully some positivity instead of all the doom and gloom one would hope.
    Wales being hyped up to the last, they are not that good

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement